- This article is about the SLDF successor model to the iconic BattleMech. For other uses, see Atlas (disambiguation).
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Foundation Type 10X|
|Armor||StarSlab/2 Ferro Fibrous with CASE|
|Communications System||Army Comm Class 5|
|Targeting Tracking System||Army Corporation Type 29K|
|Heat Sinks||14 double|
First fielded in 2765, the Atlas II was designed by the Hegemony Research and Development Department, Weapons Division of the original Star League to maintain the technological edge over the other Great Houses. It was exclusively for the SLDF's Royal Regiments.
In 2785, when General Aleksandr Kerensky put out his call for loyal forces to join him in his Exodus, every Atlas II pilot responded and left with him. These 'Mechs are prized by the Clans when they were found. One such 'Mech was spotted with the Jade Falcon touman in 3052 during the Battle of Tukayyid.
In the early 3070s, the design was resurrected by the Word of Blake when they captured Hesperus II's factories. After the liberation of Defiance Industries, Devlin Stone's coalition forces kept the 'Mechs in production.
During the Dark Age, Defiance Industries decided to reduce the number of Atlas models they were producing. Following the introduction of the AS8-S Atlas in 3138, they were left with a surplus of components that were not used in their new flagship design. They created a limited run of Atlas IIs which combined its weapons profile with the massive engine of the AS7-K2. This new variant, the AS7-DK-H, was a major success and redefined the Atlas II as the speedier counterpart to the original model.
Weapons and Equipment
The Atlas II is armed with an array of weaponry, including an Blankenburg LB 10-X autocannon, a pair of Blankenburg 25 ER large lasers, and a Holly 20-tube long-range missile launcher for long-range attacks. For close-range combat, the 'Mech is equipped with a pair of Raker-V medium pulse lasers and a Holly Six Pack. In addition, the 'Mech has been given CASE for both sides of the torso in order to keep an ammunition cook-off from consuming the 'Mech.
The weapons payload gives the design a broader range of attacks compared to the Atlas's brawling weaponry and its limited long-range attack capacities.
- Defiance Industries' redesign of the Atlas II emphasized speed with its Inner Sphere 400 XL engine, but also used some of the company's most advanced weapon systems to make up for the mass of the oversized engine. The design boasted several Clan-spec weapons: a pair of ER large lasers in the left arm, two ER medium lasers in the left torso and an LRM-20 launcher in the right torso. Both side torsos are protected by Inner Sphere CASE II The design also mounted an Inner Sphere SRM-6 next to the medium lasers and a right arm–mounted RAC/5. BV (2.0) = 2,599
- AS7-D-H Devlin
- Used by Devlin Stone, this Atlas variant used a combination of Clan and Inner Sphere technology to maximize survival. The ER large lasers, XL engine, and heat sinks came from Clan sources. A heavy-duty gyro is also fitted to enhance survivability. The LRM and SRM launchers have been replaced by a single MML-9 with an Artemis IV system. CASE II protects each side torso from ammunition explosions, an Angel ECM suite foils Blakist communications gear and, for additional protection, the left torso carries an anti-missile system. The cockpit, sensors, and life support system in the head are all armored. BV (2.0) = 2,491
- AS7-D-H Kerensky
- The custom version used by Nicholas Kerensky, this version of the Atlas II retains the weapon array of the original but swaps the Inner Sphere components for more advanced Clan equivalents. It also adds a second SRM launcher. All the missile systems are equipped with Artemis IV fire control systems. Double heat sinks were replaced with their less bulky Clan equivalents and increased to nineteen. The ferro-fibrous armor protection remains the same, but again was replaced by the more compact Clan version. To handle electronic warfare duties, a small ECM suite and active probe were added to the center torso. The CASE systems were integrated into the side torsos, as was common to all Clan designs. BV (2.0) = 2,777
- Its origins unknown, the only known example of the AS7-D-HT was found inside Castle Nautilus, an SLDF Outpost Fortress found on the world of Artru, in the Aurigan Reach and used by Kamea Arano during her final defeat of the Aurigan Directorate. This seemingly custom variant retains the bulk of the standard model's weapon loadout save swapping the LB 10-X for a mammoth Autocannon/20 for enhanced short-range combat. Three double heat sinks were dropped to mount this weapon.
- See Category: Notable Atlas Pilots; the Atlas II is considered a subtype of the Atlas series for the purpose of the category.
- Technical Readout: Jihad, pp. 182–183: "AS7-D-H Atlas II"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 184: "The Atlas II was in its first stages of deployment when the New Vandenberg Revolt sparked off the Periphery uprisings in 2765
- MUL online date for the Atlas II
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 186
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 67
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 184
- MUL online date for the Atlas
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 24, p. 13
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 187
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 68
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 24, p. 42
- Total Chaos, p. 255
- Operational Turning Points: Widowmaker Absorption, p. 29
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), p. 24: "Military Forces"
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), p. 73: "Atlas II AS7-D-HT" record sheet
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90: BattleMech Quirk Table - Atlas II Entry