|Manufacturer||Constantin Assembly Plant M27A-E
|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Bergan XIV Endo Steel|
|Armor||Forging ZK11 Standard|
|Engine||180 Firebox XL|
|Communications System||K9 Communications System|
|Targeting Tracking System||Able-Seven Sensor Suite|
|Heat Sinks||10 single|
The Piranha was developed by Clan Diamond Shark shortly before the Battle of Tukayyid to combat Inner Sphere conventional infantry and light vehicles. The sheer speed that the BattleMech is capable of has also made it something of a scout, though it lacks the sophisticated electronic equipment of dedicated scout 'Mechs.
Relatively rare in the Inner Sphere following Tukayyid, by the late 3060s the Diamond Sharks maintained production of the Piranha primarily as a filler to pad out other sales to the various Clans. The design had also begun to appear in sizable numbers in the Flurry Clusters of Clan Ice Hellion, who successfully bid for and won the rights to produce the design in 3066 in a Trial fought on Hector. Ideally suited to their "pack" tactics, the Hellions created new variants on the Piranha, though they maintain the original design philosophy.
At least two dozen were sold by Shark merchants to Clan Wolf-in-Exile in late 3068.
Weapons and Equipment
The Piranha's main threat is its 12 Series XII Rotary machine guns. These pose a serious threat to any foe on such a speedy 'Mech, especially if a Star of Piranhas operate in a pack, and such a large array allows the 'Mech to chew through an opponent's rear armor almost instantly. They are most deadly, however, to unarmored infantry, capable of wiping out an entire company in seconds. For work against hardened targets, the Piranha mounts a pair of Mk. 3 ER medium lasers and a single Series 1 ER small laser.
Since the design only uses 10 single heat sinks, the MechWarrior must still manage heat levels, and the ammunition dependency of the machine guns ensure that Piranhas must stay close to supply lines, so most have been relegated to solahma or garrison roles.
- Piranha 2
- This variant of the Piranha is fielded by Clan Ice Hellion and upgrades to double heat sinks. This allows the machine guns to be swapped out for ER micro lasers, and the two ER medium lasers and ER small laser to be upgraded to heavy laser versions. BV (1.0) = 660, BV (2.0) = 853
- Piranha 3
- This version is more properly adapted to a scouting role by the addition of a light active probe, and also uses double heat sinks to allow for an all-energy configuration. Eight ER micro lasers and two micro pulse lasers replace the machine guns, and are all tied into a targeting computer improves the accuracy of all the weapons. BV (1.0) = 992, BV (2.0) = 1,142
- Piranha 4
- This version uses two Machine Gun Arrays to make it more effective in combat. One array mounts light machine guns, while the other mounts standard machine guns; the ER medium lasers are also tied into a new targeting computer. BV (2.0) = 1063
- Piranha 5
- This variant was introduced by Clan Sea Fox on Solaris VII. Each arm has an improved heavy medium laser, while an ER small laser is in the center torso. Each side torso retains six machine guns found on the standard Piranha, and the single heat sinks have been replaced with double heat sinks to control the heat. The final change is an engine supercharger that allows the 'Mech to reach sprint speeds of 194 km/h. BV (2.0) = 1,132
From MechWarrior Online:
- The first Piranha Games-developed variant, the Piranha A is a support unit mounting two anti-missile systems beside two machine guns in each side torso, supported by an ER micro laser in each arm and a center torso mounted ER small laser. Carrying one ton each of machine gun and AMS ammo, the Piranha A retains the standard Piranha endo steel frame and XL engine, but is fitted with 10 double heat sinks and clad in three and half tons of ferro-fibrous armor.
- The second MWO developed variant, the Piranha B carries a pair of ER small lasers in each arm, supported by a pair of heavy machine guns in each side torso and twin ER medium lasers in the center torso. Built on the same body as the Piranha A, the B variant carries a single ton of heavy machine gun reloads.
- PIR-CI Cipher
- The Piranha Hero 'Mech, the Cipher carries three machine guns and three ER micro lasers in each side torso, supported by a single heavy medium laser in each arm and a center torso-mounted ER small laser. Carrying two tons of machine gun ammunition and 10 double heat sinks, the Cipher is built on an 180-rated XL engine, an endo steel frame, and is covered by just three tons of ferro-fibrous armor.
The Piranha has the following Design Quirks:
Original Piranha from Invading Clans
Piranha from TRO:3058
Piranha from RG:ilClan v13
Piranha in motion from CCG
Model of Piranha from MWO
Piranha miniature from BattleTech: Clan Striker Star
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 8–9: "Piranha"
- ↑ MUL online date for Piranha
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 94
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 160-161, "Piranha"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 134
- ↑ Invading Clans, p. 142
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 156-157, "Piranha"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 135
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 95
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 136
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 96
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 135
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13, p. 14
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 MechWarrior Online "Piranha Sale Page"
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 94 BattleMech Quirk Table - Piranha Entry.
- Invading Clans
- Master Unit List
- MechWarrior Online Piranha Sale Page
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion