42nd Avalon Hussars
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Posts Treasure Trove Of Original ‘Mech Design Docs
- Read more →
|Forty-second Avalon Hussars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3085)|
|Nickname||Sons of the Federation|
|Parent Formation||Avalon Hussars|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Unit Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
Star League Era
Originally established in the first half of the twenty-seventh century, the Forty-second Avalon Hussars was staffed entirely with personnel who had the distinction of being the children of veterans from the Avalon Hussars brigade. The Forty-second was one of many Avalon Hussars regiments to be deactivated following the issue of the Council Edict of 2650 by the Star League Council that restricted the size of the military each Great House was allowed to maintain.
The Forty-second was reactivated in 2755 as part of the widespread buildup of military forces by the various Great Houses following the repeal of the Council Edict of 2650. The Armed Forces of the Federated Suns recruited from the descendants of Avalon Hussars personnel once again to staff the reactivated Forty-second, but as late as 2765 the regiment was unfortunately still proving that pride in personal and unit heritage were no substitute for ability, and despite being very loyal to the Federated Suns the Forty-second barely qualified as a regular unit.
In 2784 the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns recruited a regiment of Star League Defense Force personnel from the 200th Mechanized Infantry Division, one of the divisions within XLVII Corps, a part of the Twentieth Army, and which was disbanded following heavy losses during the Hegemony Campaign. The AFFS merged the personnel from the 200th into the Forty-first and Forty-second Avalon Hussars.
First Succession War
During the First Succession War the Forty-second Avalon Hussars were stationed on Quentin. They were caught totally unprepared for the Second Legion of Vega's arrival and the large number of Panther BattleMechs. The Hussars had to give up the world despite having more firepower due to the losses inflicted by the Legion of Vega. The Forty-second were subsequently destroyed before the end of the War, one of seven Avalon Hussars regiments to be destroyed during the conflict.
Third Succession War
The unit conducted multiple raids in 2985, hitting Capellan worlds of Genoa and Fletcher. During the Battle of Fletcher, the 42nd tangled with Kingston's Legionnaires, the Hussars' Marauders proved to be the turning factor of the battle, inflicting over 60% casualties before the Legionnaires could be extracted.
The unit was sent in a raid against the Liao world of Thomas, where they again fought against the Trimaldi's Secutors, as well as the merc unit the Waco Rangers. The battle was struggle, when Duke of Thomas, Colonel Pavel Ridzik took command of Capellan forces and inflicted considerable damage against the Hussars. Among the unit's losses were its entire lance of Phoenix Hawk BattleMechs to the Secutors.
Fourth Succession War
As they were an inexperienced unit, the 42nd remained on their homeworld of Fallon II during the Fourth Succession War. This position also allowed them to guard against strikes from the Draconis Combine.
After forming close ties with their Lyran counterparts, but predominantly staffed by Federated Suns citizens, the 42nd spent most of the FedCom Civil War on Poulsbo. They were respected by their Lyran counterparts, and not harassed through most of the conflict. Towards the end of the fight, the 42nd repelled the Penobscot CTM from taking Timbiqui, and then followed the CTM to Cavanaugh II. There, the 42nd destroyed the Penobscot CTM. The Hussars then joined up with the pro-Victor forces already on the world (the 10th Lyran Regulars and ComStar's 182nd Division to plan how they would take it. After the FedCom Civil War, they redeployed to their new duty station on Mayetta. The 42nd's personnel were also the unofficial distributors of new brews from the Raasch Brewhaus, a brewery on Timbiqui.
The 42nd spent much of the Jihad garrisoning Tikonov after the world was attacked by Word of Blake and CCAF nuclear weapons. The 42nd was directly involved in the reconstitution of the 1st and 2nd Avalon Hussars; while the two units were forming, the 42nd adopted a kind of "big brother" role to the two formations, moving constantly around the border of the Word of Blake Protectorate with one or other unit in tow. Under the guidance and watchful eye of the 42nd, both new formations coalesced into cohesive Light Combat Teams while gaining valuable combat experience and gathering information of importance to the allied Coalition. By 3085 the 42nd had been re-based on the world of Shoreham, close to the border with the Capellan Confederation. Unfortunately for the 42nd, despite their experience, a recent raid performed by a battalion from the 1st Capellan Defense Force which struck at Shoreham saw the 42nd comprehensively outmaneuvered in their heavier machines, before the 1st CDF escaped with a haul of coolant and autocannon ammunition.
During the Victoria War the Forty-second faced elements of Warrior House Kamata on Victoria, outside the Earthwerks Industries plant. The Warrior House 'Mechs exploited a gap between the Forty-second LCT and 6th Syrtis Fusiliers LCT and destroyed two dozen AFFS 'Mechs. They also faced elements of the Dieron Regulars on Helm, where they tried several times to breach a defensive line. The Hussars fought hard, but were unable to dislodge the DCMS troops.
In 3145 they were on Helen where they faced two DCMS regiments. They allegedly came close to defeating the invaders, but had to scatter into the planet's uninhabited areas to survive. Rumors suggested that the survivors were still carrying on a guerrilla campaign.
|Commanding Officers of the 42nd Avalon Hussars|
|Leftenant General||Edwin May||3062|
During the Star League era all of the Avalon Hussars were required to focus on being both flexible and mobile, with every regiment required to be capable of deploying within eight hours, although many of the Hussars struggled to actually achieve this.
By the Thirty-first century the Forty-second Avalon Hussars were experts in preparing a battlefield, they often used minefields and prepared positions to maximize the damage they could inflict on the enemy.
Forty-second Avalon Hussars (Regular/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Forty-second was stationed on New Mendham. In common with the other regiments of the Avalon Hussars the Forty-second had an attached aerospace wing, although these forces were primarily tasked to provide ground support rather than escort duties.
Forty-second Avalon Hussars (Regular/Fanatical)
- - At this point in time the Hussars were a heavy-weight regiment stationed on New Mendham and were operating at full strength.
Forty-second Avalon Hussars RCT (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Marhsal Henry Offendahl
Forty-second Avalon Hussars RCT (Regular/Reliable)
3050 to 3054
- CO: Hauptmann General Roger Waters
- CO: Lieutenant General Edwin May
- Aide: Colonel Brooke Hasey
- - A full battalion of Heavy and Assault 'Mechs
- CO: Lieutenant General: Manoj Kujawa
- 40th Federation Attack Wing
- 160th Crucis Interceptor Wing
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Armor Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant-General: Kirby Pethan
- Aide: Colonel Jeremiah Litzau
- 68th Avalon Heavy Armor Regiment: Colonel Norbert Kozey
- 83rd Federation Artillery Regiment: Colonel Reubena Prochnow
- 201st Light Armor Regiment: Colonel: Ernest McCluskey
- 222nd Lyran Recon Regiment: Lieutenant General: L. Samuel Henes
- 7th F-C Armor Regiment: Colonel Reuben Caliteux
- - One Artillery Regiment
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Infantry Regiment (7 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leutnant-General: Sara Steiner-Dauer
- Aide: Colonel Kirk Suchenko
- 19th F-C Battle Armor Battalion: Lieutenant Hu Xin
- 61st Avalon Rangers: Colonel Robert Proeber
- 13th Northfield Commandos: Colonel Malachi Enge
- 109th Federation Mechanized Infantry: Colonel Nain Corriveau
- 111th Tamar Mechanized Infantry Regiment: Colonel Brian Elvinn
- 49th Alliance Jump Regiment: Lieutenant-Colonel Lorenzo Grahovac
- 598th New Avalon Mechanized Rifles: Lieutnant-Colonel Amanda King
Forty-second Avalon Hussars RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: General Edwin May
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Aerospace Brigade (Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Manoj Kujawa
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Armor Brigade (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Kirby Pethan
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Infantry Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Sarah Steiner-Dauer
After the horrors of the Jihad, the 42nd found itself reduced from a reinforced regiment to a two battalion formation. The unique fire support assault Mech battalion was replaced by a unit of assault armor. The two remaining 'Mech battalions are full of heavy 'Mechs. (The two battalions reassigned by the High Command formed the core of the 1st Avalon Hussars and 2nd Avalon Hussars.) Overall, the unit was only 15% below it's pre-Jihad strength.
Forty-second Avalon Hussars LCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: General Brooke Hasey
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Aerospace Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Commodore Skip Clancey
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Armor Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Sparkle Reid
Forty-second Avalon Hussars Infantry Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Percy Roux
- A formation date of the first half of the twenty-seventh century has been entered for the Forty-second based on it being one of the regiments deactivated after the Council Edict of 2650, while being listed numerically after the Thirty-fourth Avalon Hussars, a regiment known to have been formed in the early twenty-seventh century.
- As of 3062, the homeworld for the 42nd was Poulsbo. After the FedCom Civil War they were redeployed to Mayetta. In 3079 the 42nd was the garrison for Shoreham.
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 9, "Avalon Hussars"
- First Succession War, p. 33, "Those Left Behind"
- The Star League, p. 158, "Twentieth Army"
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 30
- First Succession War, p. 134, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns (AFFS)"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 85, "Kingston's Legionnaires" - Siege of Fletcher, Avalon Hussars hammer the Legionnaires.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 86, "Trimaldi's Secutors attempt to fend off raid from elements of the 42nd Avalon Hussars".
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 86, "Siege of Thomas".
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 58, "42nd Avalon Hussars Unit Profile"
- BattleCorps story Irreplaceable
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 162
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 141, "Mayetta PDZ"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 126
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 9
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 57, "Avalon Hussars"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 29, "Capellan Defense Force"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 54
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p. 44
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 46
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 74
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 136 (pdf version), "Bremond PDZ"
- 20 Year Update, p. 28, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 20, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 70, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 8, "Avalon Hussars"
- Field Report 2765: AFFS, p. 10, "Avalon Hussars - Regimental Status"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 135
- 20 Year Update
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: AFFS
- Field Report: AFFS
- First Succession War
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era
- Irreplaceable BattleCorps story by Jason Hansa
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine