(References to Eden)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: -130.81 Y: 1600.12[e]
Alternative coordinates, X and Y are (light years on XY plane) relative to Strana Mechty at (0, 0)
X: -167 Y: -174
Eden is one of the five Pentagon Worlds, one of the earliest Clan colonies, and the site of the DeChavilier Massacre, an event that would spark a bloody civil war and eventually lead to the founding of the modern Clans.
- Star Type: F4lb
- Position in System: 1 (of2)
- Surface Water: 40%
- Atm. Pressure: Standard (Viral Taint)
- Surface Gravity: 1.1 G
- Equatorial Temperature: 30°C
- Highest Native Life: Mammals
- Occupying Clans: Hell's Horses, Jade Falcon, Wolf
- Population: 61,000,000
- Homeworld of the Burrock
- Homeworld of the Eden Beaver
- Homeworld of the Eden Serpent
- Fire Mandrill (species)
- First world where the Jade Falcon (species) was released
Garrisoning Military Force
- 77th Mechanized Cavalry (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 333rd Mechanized Strike (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 99th Mechanized Cavalry (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 91st Mechanized Assault (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 22nd BattleMech (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 40th Mechanized Cavalry (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 69th BattleMech (Clan Hell's Horses)
- 3rd Falcon Dragoons (Clan Jade Falcon)
- 3rd Falcon Velites (Clan Jade Falcon)
Settlement and unrest
Settled mostly by colonists raised in the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation (two societies not known to cooperate well), Eden quickly developed advanced industry and large population centers but developed tension between the colonists just as quickly. This tension came to a head roughly 15 years after their arrival.
After months of sporadic riots and minor clashes, full-scale rebellion broke out, with some groups declaring complete independence and raiding caches for weaponry and BattleMechs. In response to this development, General Aleksandr Kerensky sent a detachment of troops, commanded by his closest aide and friend, General Aaron DeChavilier, to put down the rebellion.
The DeChavilier Massacre
|“|| The rebels, heeding neither strength nor sense,
Cowardly ambushed noble DeChavilier.
Although he fought like a lion, he died
And with his death came the clouds, and reason fled
Like a winter sun's feeble evening light
Above hopeless Eden and wicked Babylon.
- The Remembrance, Passage 8, Verse 36, Lines 51-56
DeChavilier was killed by a lucky shot from a rebel's hand-held missile launcher, and Kerensky's response was brutal. All rebels were executed, regardless of legal concerns, and entire settlements were razed and their population dispersed. This was the beginning of what would later be known as the Exodus Civil War. Kerensky died of a massive heart attack shortly after, and his son Nicholas Kerensky took command of the remaining military units and led them to Strana Mechty and other worlds of the Kerensky Cluster, where he would set the shape of the Clans for generation to come and plan the re-taking of the Pentagon Worlds.
Operation Klondike was the name given to the Clan campaign to retake the Pentagon Worlds from the various rebel groups. Nicholas Kerensky took his newly formed Clans, originally composed of 40 MechWarriors each, and divided each Pentagon World up into occupation zones for 4 Clans to occupy on the planet. Clan Hell's Horses was one of the Clans assigned to liberate Eden, and they used their 'Mechs as bait to draw out the rebels so they could be smashed by infantry and other vehicles. The other Clans assigned to Eden were Clan Smoke Jaguar, Clan Wolf, and Clan Jade Falcon.
- The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky, p. 112, Clan-Space Worlds Table
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 151 - "Crusader Clans Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 152 - "Crusader Clans Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 155 - "Crusader Clans Deployment Table"