|Production Year||Introduction Year::2857|
|Chassis||Lupus Endo Steel|
|Communications System||CI-Com 4|
|Targeting Tracking System||CI-X 2|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Pod mounted|
The Lupus OmniMech was Clan Coyote's follow-up to the Coyotl. This heavy Omni was able to keep pace with an early Griffin and carried more armor protection as well. The pod-mounted nature of its systems allowed the Lupus to function as a cavalry raider and fast support 'Mech. The use of a standard engine made it much less vulnerable to a lucky shot, and the light weight of the armor and chassis allowed the designers to devote over a third of the weight to pod-based systems. The 'Mech was a great success and even after it was surpassed by new designs it served on for decades in Clan Coyote's second line formations.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary configuration of the Lupus replaces the Archer and Bombardier 'Mechs. A pair of LRM-20 launchers with improved Artemis IV guidance systems allows the warrior to destroy a foe before they can reach close range. The Lupus Prime also carries a set of jump jets which allowed a smart warrior the opportunity to hold the range open, bombarding the enemy with heavy missile barrages. The only drawback is the limited ammunition supply: A mere three tons of ammunition allows for only a brief engagement. Should the enemy close with the Lupus all is not lost. The ER Medium Laser in each arm allow the Lupus to slice off armor, and the ECM Suite makes the Lupus Prime more difficult to target.
- Alt. Config. A
- This configuration was used for direct fire support roles. A Large Pulse Laser in one arm supported an Ultra AC/10 in the other. A pair of ER Medium Lasers gave the Lupus A additional firepower in case the 'Mech went through all 30 reloads for the autocannon. Twelve double heat sinks kept the heat manageable. BV (2.0) = 1,927
- Mad Dog - Clan Smoke Jaguar based its now ubiquitous second-generation heavy OmniMech on the Lupus, and named it as a slur to its progenitors and their originating Clans.
- Hellfire - Looking for a test-bed on which to mount their newly developed Heavy Laser technology, Clan Star Adder drew a number of mothballed Lupus OmniMechs from Brian Caches. The heavy laser-armed Lupus proved so successful, the Adder Khans ordered almost 100 more Lupus OmniMechs retrofitted in 3058. The resulting Hellfire BattleMech also had its Vlar 300 engine replaced with a 240 Standard and MASC.
- MUL online date for the Lupus
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 24
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 23
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 31
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 32
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 188
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 120