Albert Benton (b. 2997 - d. 30??)  was a thirty-first century House Kurita MechWarrior, officer, and commanding officer of the storied Sorenson's Sabres BattleMech Company. In his youth, Albert used his average features to blend into crowds and not be noticed when he was up to something. He had a strong interest in technology, which led him to become a competent engineer in his day. When he joined the Sorenson's Sabres, he began to learn interrogation techniques. He was noted for possessing natural charisma and aptitude in his later years.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Early Life and Military Career
- 1.2 As MechWarrior in the Sorenson's Sabres
- 1.3 Assuming Command of the Sabres and the Combine-Ghost Bear War
- 1.4 Jihad
- 1.5 Family and Legacy
- 1.6 BattleMechs
- 1.7 Game Notes
- 1.8 References
- 1.9 Bibliography
Early Life and Military Career
Albert Benton was born on Galedon V, and when he joined the DCMS, he was assigned as ammunition loader for an Artillery Unit at a very young age. During combat with House Davion, his unit's artillery piece knocked out an enemy Stinger. He discovered that its pilot had been killed by the shell, but the 'Mech remained operational. When Davion recovery crews retrieved the downed BattleMech, he followed in a jeep into Davion held territory. After observing activities of the techs, he knocked out a guard and stole the recovery vehicle with the Stinger on-board. In a matter of frantic hours he returned to Kuritan-controlled lines with his newly-acquired BattleMech which he named Lucky Star.
As MechWarrior in the Sorenson's Sabres
Early Campaigns with Sorenson's Sabres in 3020s
While on a mission on the Davion world of Udibi with the rest of the 5th Sword of Light, Albert's lance got separated from the rest of the company during a supply raid on a city. With no promised reinforcements, Albert was ordered by Sveinson to grab as much from the Davion supply depot as they could and then quickly retreat from the city. The unit's dash for the landing zone allowed them a successful escape with the rest of the 5th Sword.
Benton and the rest of the Sabres were assigned to be part of the 36th Dieron Regulars to help break a deadlock on the contested world of Quinn in January 3026. Benton was disgusted by the death caused by the Hungry Ghosts of the 36th Dieron who targeted civilians and dependents of House Davion forces to break their morale. Westham Valley turned into a battlefield as Benton and his forces fought a vengeful Davion-employed mercenary unit, Swann's Cavaliers, while Albert attempted to cover the true butchers, the 36th Dieron.
In June 3026, his DropShip was shot down by Davion fighters and crash landed before a planned raid on the world of Errai. Benton lead the way for his lance through the Red Forest, which was filled with Davion infantry troops. The Red Forest's dense trees scrambled their sensors on their journey to meet with Tai-i Sorenson and the rest of the company. Despite the enemy's advantages, the unit was able to march through the forest.
The Fourth Succession War
Albert was deployed with rest of the Sabres and 5th Sword of Light in 3029 to Northwind in Fourth Succession War. They were given the unusual mission to pilot their 'Mechs through a major metropolis' water reservoir; their BattleMechs' lower halves were freshly painted in an effort to poison the city. The unit then fought a sickened 5th Deneb Light Cavalry, which had been hit by food poisoning. While fighting with the rest of the 5th Sword, Genyosha and other Kuritan regiments joined the fight. Their attempt to secure the planet for the Dragon failed due to the arrival of the Northwind Highlanders. In the battle with the Highlanders Albert lost his Stinger. He was then assigned to a PNT-9R Panther before the 5th Sword would arrive on Nusakan later that year. Albert's unit fought the Kell Hounds on the outskirts of the battle, and only took minor damage, but Conti's defeat in his duel would leave everyone in dishonor.
The Rise and Fall of the Sabres
After the War, the unit spent several years conducting border raids along the Davion border. While on Togura in 3034, the Free Rasalhague Republic's formation was announced. This caused a stir among the members of the Sabres, of whom a quarter were Rasalhagian in descent, including Tai-i Sorenson and Albert's Chu-i. In an argument, Sveinson and Soderstrom got into a fight over Sorenson's decision to remain in the Combine. After punching Sorenson, he ordered them incarcerated. The next day, Albert was on the march in his Panther pursuing his former lance leader and other former comrades. The resulting battle with them would leave the Sabres dead and the unit spiritually broken. When they returned to base after the battle, they received word from Kanrei Theodore Kurita which decreed that all Rasalhagian soldiers who wished to resign to join the new Republic were free to do so. The Sabres received orders to train new soldiers of the Republic on Damian.
On Damian in February of 3035, the unit failed in its duty to train the Republic's soldiers properly and they also failed to stop the Bandit King Hendrik Grimm from taking valuable goods from the planet. Albert and his unit were soon reassigned to Enif and exiled from the 5th Sword of Light. During this time Albert traded his Panther for a ComStar "gift", a MON-66 Mongoose.
On the Sabres' reassignment, Albert was promoted to the rank of Chu-i of their Pursuit Lance. He and the rest of the Lance Leaders continued to do drill work to rebuild the unit's lost cohesion and sense of belonging. Eight years after being sent into exile and Sorenson's efforts to rebuild the unit's soul, they were put to the test. In 3042, pirates out of Antallos struck the planet; after tracking them, they discovered the pirates were not after armor factories, but the planet's food warehouses. Albert's lance, with a fire lance, flanked the enemy raider force and crushed them with firepower and speed. They managed to capture a Union Class DropShip, and the battle was a resounding success, which marked the Sabres' new road to recovering their honor.
A few months later, slaver pirates raided the planet during a training exercise. Albert's Command Lance was forced to withdraw, re-arm hastily, and help the Fire Lance combat the pirates. The unit was able to capture the commander of the force, who turned out to be the consort of “Mad” Max Smythe, an infamous pirate slaver of Antallos. They learned from her that early pirate raids against the planet were elements of the Band of the Damned. The Sabres then set out on a year-long hunt to find the Warlord of Galedon and to stop the slavers and the Damned. Though there were only a few successes, the unit proved its worth to the DCMS's high command, and was re-attached to the 5th Sword of Light once again.
Clash with McKinnon's Raiders
In 3049, the Sabres received orders to probe into the Federated Commonwealth's Draconis March to look for signs of possible invasion. Raids within the last two years caused the leadership of the Combine to become concerned of impending invasion.
Through the course of hitting various worlds in the Federated Commonwealth, the unit found little regarding the invasion. However, Davion raids of the border in 3047 turned out to be Fox's Teeth, an elite Davion independent company. Albert and the rest of the Sabres moved to raid the Fox's base on Benet III. In a brutal all-out battle, the two forces kept fighting until the Sabres felt honor had been satisfied for the Dragon, and they withdrew.
Duty on Luthien
After the Campaign of 3048-'49, The Kanrei recalled the unit to Luthien. There the unit, was awarded status as a true independent BattleMech Company, no longer attached to any frontline combat unit. With unit slipping from TO&E of Combine, become a black ops unit.
Here Albert developed a relationship with Luthien Armor Works, while the unit conducted trials of new and experimental equipment for the Combine. He took part in the testing of the Blackjack Medium OmniMech. By 3060, his Mongoose he had nicknamed Gunner, was re-assigned to the 2nd Sword of Light. LAW's Research and Development section gifted him a Black Hawk-KU Heavy OmniMech for his extensive help did with the new Blackjack.
Assuming Command of the Sabres and the Combine-Ghost Bear War
In 3061, Albert's long time commander, Daniel Sorenson retired from service. He was elevated to Tai-iand assumed command of the unit. He in moving speech at the change of command ceremony, announced unit would forego changing the name of the unit as it been tradition of the company parent's regiments tradition. He announced the unit would retain the name in honor of Sorenson's duty and honor of holding the company together through his years of service.
After taking command, Albert and his command were moved to the Clan Ghost Bear border worlds, where with newly held freedom maintain vigilance against any Clan intrusion.
In 3062, the Combine-Ghost Bear War broke out due to efforts of the Black Dragon Society influenced Alshain Avengers Brigade trying to take their homeworld back from Clan Ghost Bear. Albert exploited the unit's independence and raided a number of Dominion worlds during the conflict. His exploits earned respect of the Ghost Bears to requested that he and his unit to Courchevel, for a Trial of Possession which would end dishonorable war in honor. His noted action of the Trial, when in a personal duel, he took down a Kingfisher Assault OmniMech.
In 3068, the Black Dragon Society influenced most of the 2nd Sword of Light to seize Imperial Capital. Albert and his Sabres were able to escape the fate of the majority of the Otomo. He led the unit through the fires of war for control of the capital, to join forces with the loyalist aligned 1st Genyosha and survivors of the Coordinator's bodyguard units to help combat the ronin Black Dragon forces. Over course of early years of the occupation of Luthien, Albert led his unit in attack and fade tactics against the rebel forces in the ruins of the capital city. This continued until people with Lord Chandrasekhar Kurita, convinced join his team of troops to fight the true enemy of the Combine, The Word of Blake.
After initial battles against the Blakists with Lord Kurita's Hachiman Taro Electronics, the death of Uncle Chandy led him into working with Devlin Stone's Coalition. As part of the Coalition he became liaison to Clan Ghost Bear who had joined the fight against the Blakists. His duel in 3063 at the end of the Combine-Ghost Bear War won him the respected needed to be liaison officer to them. His leadership and tactics with his unit fighting along side the Ghost Bears in the Protectorate prove to be a boon for Stone's Coalition. During the campaign, his Black Hawk-KU begun to show wear and tear, despite offers by the Ghost Bears to replace it with a true Nova. He took up an offer to have his machine fitted out with Clan weaponry instead.
In August 3078, Albert and the Sabres would be assigned to participate in the retaking of Terra in Operation SYCTHE. Assigned to Task Force MALLET, he was initially assigned to command the operation to take the city of Athens with his Sabres and The Battle Corps mercenary command. Under the direction of General Lee, Albert's command worked with other special operations units which successfully retook the city in a near bloodless fight.
Family and Legacy
In his very early career, he was known to pilot Light BattleMechs, starting with an "acquired" Davion Stinger BattleMech named "Lucky Star". It was noted that he was known as one of the best Stinger pilots in the Inner Sphere. After the 'Mech's destruction in 3029 during the 4th Succession War, he was reassigned to a Panther. By 3034, he was given a MON-67 Mongoose while giving up his Panther to a newcomer of the unit. When he assumed command of the Sabres he was gifted by LAW with a new Black Hawk-KU. The 'Mech was re-configured by 3075 with Clan weaponry in place of Inner Sphere weapons. The 'Mech retained its C3 Master Computer, which it had started with.
Using the special individual MechWarrior advance rules found in Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, Albert has been given the following ability: When using or leading a lance of 'Mechs, he gives them the Off-Map Movement ability.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents p. 68 - Albert Benton profile as of 3075, at age 78.
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 23 Albert Benton's original Profile - includes character's personal description.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 46 Albert Benton's 3049 Profile - Expansion of his abilities, skills.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 68 Albert Benton's 3075 profile - Benton personality is described as it changed to '75.
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 23 Albert Benton's profile - Early career in Military and how he got his first BattleMech.
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 32-33 Situation: Quinn - 18th January 3026 - Benton's reaction and resulting battle against angry Davion.
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), pp. 28-29 Situation Errai: June 26, 3026 - Benton and rest of Sveinson's unit exploits through Errai's Red Forest.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 34-35, 46 The Fourth Succession War and Albert Benton's profile - Albert's actions during the conflict including loss of his Stinger, Lucky Star.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 34-35 War of the Ronin - Sabre's split with formation of the Republic, loss of his Lance Leader.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 35-36 Border Guards and The Path of the Damned - Albert Benton's promotion to Pursuit lance leader, he and rest of the Sabres prove their worth after training and fighting pirates return frontline service.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 36, 80 The Fox's Den and Touchpoint: Dust Up - Probe attack of FedCom results in Sabres fighting MacKinnon's Raiders to punish them for raids of '47 and to see what unit was best.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, pp. 37, 46 Profile Albert Benton and Serving the Dragon - Albert's background as engineer pays way to aide in Sabre's duty test new technology for the Combine.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 33 For Glory of Golden Pillar - Palmer Conti cites 5th Sword's ancient tradition of renaming / remaking its companies after its commander. The origin of Sorenson's Sabres name.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 68 Albert Benton's profile (3075) - Albert in his speech announces the retention of the original name of the unit and it serve to honor the man whose name it bears.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 68 - Unit given honor of being assigned to Otomo by its commander and the Coordinator.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 68 - Benton's 3075 profile showing his activities with Sabres on Luthien and his recruitment by Uncle Chandy into his coalition of troops.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorp Dossiers, p. 22 Albert Benton - Benton's profile shows him part of Stone's coalition as liaison officer between Ghost Bears and Stone.
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra", pp. 96, 102, 106 - Albert Benton's actions while in command of the Sabres during the Terra invasion.
- Sorenson's Sabres (scenario pack), p. 23 Albert Benton's original profile - The profile comments him becoming one of the best Stinger pilots in the Inner Sphere.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 33-37, 47 - Albert's 'Mech piloting history shown in Starterbook. Profile also notes it as well, giving years.
- Jihad Turning Point: Luthien, p. 13 Black Hawk-KU Albert - Record Sheet Sorenson's Sabre's commander 'Mech.
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 51 - Advanced MechWarrior Rules / Albert Benton - Special ability of Albert Benton while in command of a lance or himself. It not clear if he has this ability in older eras.