|Manufacturer||Coventry Metal Works |
Luthien Armor Works - OmniMech Production Facility
Ceres Metals Industries 
|Chassis||Foundation Reinforced Endo Steel|
|Engine||GM 270 XL|
|Communications System||Cyclops 18XS Adaptable|
|Targeting Tracking System||Cyclops Special Limited|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Luxor Load Lifters|
Initially the direct result of a dubious goodwill gesture between enemy Houses during the Clan Invasion, the Firestarter OmniMech has proven to be flexible and highly effective medium trooper design.
As part of technology exchange agreements between the Great Houses during the initial Clan Invasion, a seemingly duplicitous Coventry Metal Works offered full design specifications and manufacturing licenses for the overly-specialized Firestarter BattleMech to an utterly indifferent Luthien Armor Works. Thus when it was the Combine's turn to reciprocate, though CMW eagerly expected specifications to one of the Combine's newly developed OmniMechs, LAW responded by returning a set of specifications to slightly modified FS9-O OmniMech instead, citing that retooling one of Coventry's standard Firestarter lines would require less time to effect.
Ultimately overcoming a somewhat politically troubled birth, the OmniMech Firestarter has proven to be an highly effective and flexible design, with the Combine using it to replace other aging medium-weight workhorses such as the Phoenix Hawk, Wolf Trap and Trebuchet among its front-line forces, while both halves of the Federated Commonwealth instead used it as a recon focused replacement for the original 'Mech and by the FedCom Civil War as a command 'Mech for light 'Mech lances and companies. The only complaint many MechWarriors and technical crews have with the design is the sheer volume of fixed equipment the Firestarter carries, believing the permanently mounted jump jets, flamers and heat sinks unduly restricts the natural flexibility of the OmniMech.
Weapons and Equipment
The OmniMech FS9-O is ten tons heavier than its BattleMech cousin and the extra weight is put to good use. As a 'Mech, the Firestarter is well armored and maneuverable with its eight and a half tons of armor and six permanently mounted jump jets that allow the Firestarter to jump up to one hundred and eighty meters in all of its configurations. Most of the Firestarter's configurations are based around advanced electronic warfare equipment, many also tend to be specific to either the Draconis Combine, Lyran Alliance or Free Worlds League, utilizing weapons prefered and/or developed within those realms. A hold-over from its parent design, two permanently mounted Hotshot flamers pointing forward and rearward provide some offensive ability no matter what configuration is mounted. 
In its primary configuration the Firestarter is built to stay at long ranges when facing an enemy. The primary weapons are a pair of Large Lasers. The Large Lasers provide the 'Mech with respectable long-range firepower. To allow the 'Mech to create cover for itself and to clear woods, the Firestarter Prime carries two extra flamers on top of its fixed pair, bringing the total to four. Finally, to allow the 'Mech to search out hidden units, the Prime carries a Beagle Active Probe.
- Alt. Config. A
- The Firestarter A carries, as its primary weapon, an LB-X Autocannon/10 that allows the 'Mech to work in an anti-aircraft or vehicle hunting role. As a secondary weapon in the A configuration, the 'Mech carries a Small Laser and retains two Flamers for anti-personnel combat. BV (1.0) = 902, BV (2.0) = 976
- Alt. Config. B
- Configured as a close combat and spotting 'Mech, the Firestarter B carries, as its primary weapon, a Large Pulse Laser, which is backed up by a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers and a Small Laser. The 'Mech also carries two Flamers to deter infantry attacks and also allow the 'Mech to start fires for cover. The centerpiece of the B configuration is its electronics package, which consists of a TAG spotting laser for directing artillery fire and a C3 Slave unit that allows the Firestarter to share targeting data with allied units. BV (1.0) = 957, BV (2.0) = 1,070
- Alt. Config. C
- Intended as a long-range fire support configuration, the Firestarter C carries a pair of LRM-10 launchers. The 'Mech has two Flamers and a Small Laser for close combat. Additionally, a C3 Slave Unit is carried so that the Firestarter C can benefit from sharing targeting data with allied units. BV (1.0) = 939, BV (2.0) = 1,006
- Alt. Config. D
- The D configuration is intended for long-range direct fire support and sniping. This is done by using an ER PPC as its primary weapon. Backing this up is an LRM-5 launcher, a Medium Laser, and two Flamers for direct fire support. The D Configuration carries a Guardian ECM Suite to protect itself from an enemy's electronic warfare equipment. The 'Mech also carries a C3 Slave Unit. BV (1.0) = 1,210, BV (2.0) = 1,322
- Alt. Config. E
- The E configuration of the Firestarter is intended for close combat and carries as its primary weapon an MRM-20 launcher. This is backed up by a Medium Pulse Laser, a Small Pulse Laser, and two Flamers. A Sword provides superb accuracy in melee combat situations. BV (1.0) = 932, BV (2.0) = 998
- Alt. Config. G
- Another long-range configuration of the Firestarter, the G configuration mounts an LB-X Autocannon/5. For close combat, the 'Mech carries three Medium Lasers and a pair of Flamers that allow the Firestarter to start fires to create smoke to cover its movement. BV (1.0) = 1,008, BV (2.0) = 1,063
- Alt. Config. H
- This version is an electronics specialist. Equipped with a Beagle Active Probe and Guardian ECM Suite, it provides cover for its lancemates. Offensively, the Firestarter H is equipped with an ER Medium Laser, two Flamers, two Medium Pulse Lasers, two Small Pulse Lasers, and a pair of Machine Guns with a half ton of ammunition. It also carries an Anti-Missile System. BV (2.0) = 1,119
- Alt. Config. R
- A field upgrade developed in the midst of Operation Bulldog, this configuration utilized captured Clan Smoke Jaguar weapons to help bolster the SLDF forces in later waves, mounting an Artemis IV FCS-enhanced Clan LRM-10 and a pair of Clan-tech ER Large Lasers. BV (2.0) = 1,713
- Alt. Config. U
- Another "unusual environment" configuration, the Firestarter U carries a Sword in the right arm and five Medium Pulse Lasers. Though it retains the torso mounted flamers, the most interesting part of its payload is the Liquid Storage tank that provides additional reaction mass for the six Jump Jets. This Firestarter is intended to support marine boarding actions against DropShips and WarShips. The 24 Double Heat Sinks could barely handle the heat from all the weapons.BV (2.0) = 1,120
- Alt. Config. X
- This version carries several experimental systems. Reminiscent of the Firestarter H, it's equipped with an Angel ECM Suite and Bloodhound Active Probe. It carries the twin center torso Flamers common to all Firestarter variants, and augments them with a Streak SRM-2 and a Large X-Pulse Laser. BV (2.0) = 1,190
- Firestarter - Coventry Metal Works gave Luthien Armor Works the plans to produce the Firestarter. Luthien Armor Works reciprocated by reworking the Firestarter as an OmniMech. Production commenced around 3058.
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 128-129, "Firestarter OmniMech Profile"
- Objectives: Capellan Confederation, p. 8 - "Capella"
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 21
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 186
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 220
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 86-87, "Firestarter OmniMech"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 187
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 221
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 188
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 222
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 189
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 223
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 224
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 159 "Rules - DCMS OmniMech Configurations - FS9-0E Firestarter"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 225
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 139 "Rules - FWLM OmniMech Configurations - F9-OF Firestarter"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 192
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 226
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 193
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 227
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 228
- The Dragon Roars, p. 6
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 229
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged β Old is the New New, p. 70
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 230
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Master Unit List
- Objectives: Capellan Confederation
- Objectives: Draconis Combine
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged β Old is the New New
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- The Dragon Roars