- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Meet the competitive leagues of MechWarrior Online
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Brigadier Corporation |
|Communications System||Garret 500A|
Built before the technological renaissance that saw a more open view of quadruped 'Mechs, and introduced by the Terran Hegemony in 2570, the Scorpion is an example of an idea that was ahead of its time. The 'Mech was originally intended as a stable weapons platform but as the model came into service it was relegated to an infantry support role. The design itself was also shunned by most MechWarriors due to the rough ride of the four-legged gait. If the design is looked at through an objective standpoint, the Scorpion is a very capable 'Mech at its intended role. With the PPC mounted in the body and with the inherent stability of the design, the 'Mech is a very stable platform for long-range fire. One quirk in the design, though, that does put it at something of a disadvantage is the lack of jump jets used on most medium 'Mechs. The top speed of 97.2 kph, however, does help to alleviate any maneuverability concerns a pilot may have.
At some point there had been an attempt to create a LAM version of the Scorpion, an unworkable project that was abandoned and literally buried in a bunker on Hesperus II. The long-forgotten blueprints and prototype remains were found by chance in 3065. Although the Scorpion LAM project as such had been unsuccessful, it had succeeded in streamlining components and redesigning the leg suspension, and applying these modifications alleviated the famously bumpy ride on the -12S and all subsequent variants.
Weapons and Equipment
The Scorpion carries a very basic weapons payload. Its primary weapon is an Anderson Armaments PPC which, when combined with the Scorpions highly stable chassis, makes the 'Mech an ideal close support 'Mech. For close range combat, the Scorpion carries a Marvel Six-Load SRM-6. This weapon allows the Scorpion to capitalize on any breaches in the enemy's armor.
- The SCP-1O Scorpion is a very basic upgrade of the design. The PPC is removed and replaced with an ER PPC. While this gives the Scorpion greater range, it also increases the heat from the ER PPC by fifty percent, which greatly overtaxes the Scorpions ten heat sinks. Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix shows the SCP-1O with Double Heat Sinks. BV (1.0) = 785, BV (2.0) = 1,054
- This post-Jihad version uses an Endo Steel chassis and XL Engine to propel the 'Mech at a top speed of 119 km/h. The use of these lighter components, as well as an XL Gyro, allows the Scorpion to carry a Heavy PPC, LRM-10, and nine tons of armor. Ten double heat sinks keep the 'Mech's weapons in constant use. BV (2.0) = 1,458
- This version of the Scorpion is similar to the original design. The engine has been upgraded to an Extralight engine and it now uses Ferro-Fibrous armor for protection. The primary weapon is an ER PPC and the 12C has double heat sinks to handle the large heat load from the weapon. The SRM-6 was replaced with an Improved Narc Missile Beacon, which allows friendly units to fire missiles at enemies that have been tagged with an iNarc pod with more accuracy. Additionally, a C3i computer has been added to allow other C3 equipped units to share targeting telemetry. BV (1.0) = 1,058, BV (2.0) = 1,259
- The 12S variant of the Scorpion is produced by Defiance Industries and is a complete redesign of the Scorpion. The 'Mech is constructed using an Endo Steel chassis and is powered by a Light Fusion Engine. The saved weight is used to upgrade the primary weapon to an LB-X Autocannon/10 and for close range combat the Scorpion retains its SRM-6 launcher. BV (1.0) = 969, BV (2.0) = 1,109
- Scorpion LAM - A failed attempt to develop a Land Air Mech version of the Scorpion, this prototype nevertheless led to marked improvements to ride smoothness in later variants of the original.
Scorpion versus a Summoner
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p.12
- MUL online date for the Scorpion (BattleMech)
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 288
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 458
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11, "BattleMech Tech Timeline"
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix, p. 28
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 69
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 70
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 241
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 72
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 73
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 74
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 463
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix
- Era Digest: Age of War
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix
- Total Warfare Style Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades