- First BattleTech Expansion - Flashpoint - Arrives November 27th
- Update From Catalyst On The New BattleTech Box Sets
- Harebrained Schemes Reveals BattleTech: Flashpoint Gameplay, Kills Dekker
- The Art of War – An Interview with Matthew Plog, BattleTech Artist
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Eagle Craft Group|
|Chassis||DSAM Endo 4|
|Armor||Forging ZM15 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Olivetti 340 XL|
|Communications System||Raptor X-T Type iii|
|Targeting Tracking System||Goshawk E-Series|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Grandthrust Mk5 w/ Partial Wing|
The Shrike BattleMech, popular with commanders for its heavy and accurate weapons, is the Jade Falcon answer to Clan Wolf's heavy Tundra Wolf. Its distinctive wings, common among later Jade Falcon designs during the revitalization of the 3110s, allow the Shrike to dissipate heat almost as fast as it gains it. Nonetheless, this 'Mech, like the Gyrfalcon, quickly rises in temperature and needs to be piloted with careful attention to heat management, despite the dissipation capabilities of the wings.
The 'Mech's origins can be traced to the Onager. The Eagle Craft Group of Erewhon took the older design and styled it similarly to the earlier Eyrie and Gyrfalcon. Admired for its capacities, the Shrike became a highly sought-out design for Jade Falcon commanders after its performance during a raid on La Grave against Clan Wolf in 3115.
Weapons and Equipment
The Shrike is outfitted with a powerful Targeting Computer that allows it to bring accurate firepower to bear on the battlefield. It has a hard-hitting armament that gives the 'Mech a powerful sting in combat at most ranges. A "Long Bow" LRM-10-rack allows pilots to engage enemies at long range, and two Type 9 Ultra Autocannon/5s are effective against even other assault-class 'Mechs. Lastly, two Series 2b ER Large Lasers provide a fairly powerful punch should the other weapon systems deplete their ammunition.
The design owes its large weapon capacity to due use to its Endo Steel construction and its large 380-rated Extra-Light Fusion Engine. Engineers enhanced the design by adding a Partial Wing, giving the Shrike extra jump capacity as well as additional cooling abilities under normal atmospheric conditions.
- Malvina Hazen, Jade Falcon Star Colonel and later Khan was a legendary Shrike MechWarrior. She named her BattleMech the "Black Rose". The Black Rose was the first appearance of the Shrike in a novel. The Black Rose itself was created as a unique figure for the MWDA Collectable Miniature Game, with Malvina Hazen pilot information on a separate data card.
- The Shrike was first created by Wizkids' MechWarrior Dark Age Collectable Miniatures game as a part of its Falcons Prey expansion set. The figure was only used for the CGC game's Unique figures. The 'Mech was later adapted by Catalyst Game Labs and redefined in the tabletop game once the company advanced the franchise's timeline to 3145.
- Originally, the Shrike 3 was an unofficial variant which allegedly was fielded by Malvina Hazen and Jennifer Braille, (a Solaris VII MechWarrior). The first appearance was said to be the result of a combat against a Hatchetman.
The Shrike has the following Design Quirks:
- MUL online entry for the Shrike
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 468
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans, p. 48 Shrike - Background.
- Technical Readout 3145: The Clans pp. 48-49 Shrike - Weapons and Engineering notes.
- Technical Readout 3145: The Clans pp. 48, 113 Shrike - Shrike 2 Variant notes.
- MUL Profile for the Shrike 2 - Includes BV2 and Introduction Year.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 469
- Technical Readout 3145: The Clans pp. 48, 114 Shrike - Shrike 3 Variant notes.
- MUL Profile for the Shrike 3 - Includes BV2 and Introduction Year.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 470
- Flight of the Falcon, p.185 - Malvina Hazen Shrike's name is mentioned during the attack on Zebebelgenubi.
- Shrike "Black Rose" profiled on Fan-Website Warrenborn.
- Malvina Hazen Data Card.