Vapor Eagle (Goshawk)
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Clan Steel Viper|
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Viper MR 6 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound V133/b Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||New Kent Type 105 330 XL|
|Jump Jets||Pryzhok WM 5|
This is the article for the Classic BattleTech 'Mech. For the BattleTech CCG card see Vapor Eagle (CCG).
First appearing in the Inner Sphere with the arrival of Clan Steel Viper, ComStar operatives were baffled by the intended purpose of the close-combat second-line garrison BattleMech they dubbed the Goshawk for its unusual bird-like design. It wasn't until Clan culture became more understood that Inner Sphere observers figured out what the Clans callled the Vapor Eagle was designed as a duelist for the one-on-one fights that are so prevalent in Clan society.  
Largely seen only in the Steel Viper garrison forces, the Vapor Eagle was repurposed less as a dueling 'Mech and more a general combatant in the wake of the so-called "Hegira War" and Clan Jade Falcon's ejection of the Vipers from the Inner Sphere. Reflecting the bitter lessons learned by the Steel Vipers in that conflict, their leadership reconfigured many 'Mechs in their touman to make them better suited to larger and more fluid engagements. The new Vapor Eagle 3 increasingly filled holes in Steel Vipers frontline units that saw action against Clans Snow Raven and Star Addder in the Viper's campaign to secure a dominant position in Clan Homeworlds immediately prior to the Wars of Reaving.
Weapons and Equipment
Built around one-on-one duels, the Vapor Eagle focuses a good deal on speed and maneuverability, and its weapons configuration accentuates close-range firepower. Clad in nine and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and built around a 330 rated Extra Light Engine and an Endo Steel frame, the Vapor Eagle can reach 97.2 kph on the ground and six jump jets allow it to cover sixty-meters at a time. The inspiration for its Inner Sphere reporting name, the Vapor Eagle incorporates large arm baffles much like the venerable Griffin, but rather than blast deflectors the Goshawk uses them more like wings to enhance its jump jets. While not as effective as the later Partial Wing as these stablizing wings provide negligible lift, with some of the thrust from the torso jump jets diverted over their surface, the Goshawk has very smooth and controllable jump flight allowing precision landings.
The Vapor Eagle features an eclectic and close-ranged weapons load-out, mounting a Large Pulse Laser in its right arm, supported by a single Machine Gun, two Streak SRM-2s and three Medium Pulse Lasers split between its side torsos and rounded out by a trio of Machine Guns in a handgun shaped housing in the left arm. The addition of a Targeting Computer makes its firepower even more deadly as long as it can get its weapons into range. Eleven Double Heat Sinks, half a ton of machine gun ammunition and one Streak missiles are more than adequate for the average Clan trial.
- Vapor Eagle 2
- This variant of the Vapor Eagle removes two of the Medium Pulse Lasers, both Streak Missile pods, and the Large Pulse Laser as well as one of the 'Mechs double heat sinks in exchange for an Ultra Autocannon/10. Mounted in an over the shoulder arrangement like the venerable Shadow Hawk, the weapon fires at twice the rate of a standard Autocannon/10 and carries enough ammunition to continuously fire at its maximum rate of fire for over a minute and a half. BV (1.0) = 2,016, BV (2.0) = 1,989
- Vapor Eagle 3
- Changes in the way the Clans fight since they made contact with the Inner Sphere led scientists from Clan Steel Viper to revisit the Vapor Eagle. They stripped out all the weaponry, but left everything else alone. This variant is effective at long range, as it mounts a Clan Mk. XVII ER PPC. The Fang Series-A ATM 3 replaced the Machine Guns of the original, though it only mounts one ton of ammunition, so the launcher loses the all-important flexibility of the Advanced Tactical Missile System. For close range, three Series 5K Heavy Medium Lasers provide a powerful punch, while a pair of Pattern D-II SRM-2 launchers add more damage potential. BV (1.0) = 2,182, BV (2.0) = 2,466
- Vapor Eagle 4
- A more radical redesign, this variant actually drops the targeting computer and jump jets to mount three ER Small Lasers and four ER Medium Lasers. A pair of ATM 6s with four tons of ammunition provided it with a credible threat at all ranges. The high amounts of heat generated by this variant led designers to mount seventeen double heat sinks on the chassis. BV (1.0) = 1,865, BV (2.0) = 2,069
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- Goshawk II - A ten-ton lighter and faster version of the original, the Goshawk II was manufactured by Clan Snow Raven to bolster their forces after their move into the Outworlds Alliance.
The Vapor Eagle/Goshawk as originally depicted in the original Technical Readout: 3055 was constructed via Fractional Accounting, allowing it to carry an extra half ton of armor, removed under the current construction system starting with Technical Readout: 3055 Revised.
MechWarrior Online art of the Vapor Eagle
- MUL online date for the Vapor Eagle (Goshawk)
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p.192
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 122 "Goshawk"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 114 "Goshawk"
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 156
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 193
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 194
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 195
- MechWarrior Online - "Vapor Eagle Page"