Ebon Jaguar (Cauldron-Born)
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Huntress Manufacturing Plant DL-6|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||CSJ Type 65.43 Endo|
|Armor||Composite A-4 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Consolidated 325 XL Fusion|
|Communications System||Hector CC-22E|
|Targeting Tracking System||Integrated Bravo-7|
|Heat Sinks||13 Double heat sinks|
|Speed||86 kph km/h|
Introduced in 3049 to address flaws in the venerable Hellbringer, by Operation REVIVAL the Ebon Jaguar had only just started to spread through the Jaguar's touman with the Inner Sphere first encountering the design during the Battle of Luthien. Facing it for the first time when engaging the First Jaguar Guards Cluster in the Kado-Guchi Valley, the 'Mech's ability to take damage and remain operational led the Inner Sphere warriors who fought it to call it the Cauldron-Born after the unstoppable zombies of Irish myth. Paradoxically many of the other Clans also used the Inner Sphere Cauldron-Born reporting name, having first learned detailed information of the design from Inner Sphere sources.
By Operation BULLDOG the Cauldron-Born made up a large proportion of the heavy 'Mechs of the rebuilding Smoke Jaguars, and following their Annihilation the design proliferated the remaining Clans, save the Jade Falcons, Wolves and Coyotes who continued to favor the Hellbringer. Following the Wars of Reaving the Ebon Jaguar had finally supplanted the Hellbringer in most Homeworld Clans, save the Coyotes who remained loyal to redeeming the honor of their design.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary configuration of the Ebon Jaguar was made to attack from long range. With a mammoth Gauss Rifle occupying the entire right arm, a 75mm LB 5-X AC in the left arm, and an LRM-10 jutting above the birdlike shoulder, it can act as a speedy support 'Mech with a variety of ways to deal damage. An SRM-2 and an ER Medium Laser provide backup for short range work. The thirteen integral double heat sinks are more than enough to keep the OmniMech cool, while its nine and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor keep the design safe.
- Alt. Config. A
- Built around what was once the largest gun in the Clan arsenal, the Cauldron-Born A is capable of dealing blistering damage at a variety of ranges. For long range, the A uses a pair of ER Large Lasers. At close range, the MechWarrior can switch to a 203mm Ultra Autocannon/20 that carries a fair amount of ammunition, along with a Medium Pulse Laser, and an ER Medium Laser. For anti-infantry work, it carries a pair of Machine Guns and a multi-purpose Flamer. Finally, the A variant has a pair of ER Medium Lasers mounted in the rear to discourage lighter 'Mechs from taking advantage of its relatively weak rear armor. The MechWarrior must carefully shepherd his or her weapons fire, as the variant carries no additional heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,860, BV (2.0) = 2,429
- Alt. Config. B
- This variant, once called by a DCMS warrior the best forward observer ever built, uses an ER PPC and a Large Pulse Laser mounted in each arm. To supplement this, it carries a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, as well as an Active Probe, and a TAG spotting laser. This variant is not as prone to overheating as the A, but a MechWarrior must use volley fire if he or she intends to use both the PPCs and Large Pulse Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,636, BV (2.0) = 2,535
- Alt. Config. C
- The Cauldron-Born C is a missile boat and much easier on the heat curve than the other variants. Its primary weapons are a pair of LRM-15s and 25mm Ultra Autocannon/2s. Backing these up for short range work are a pair of SRM-6s. Though this variant carries no energy weapons, it does have ample supplies of ammunition that allow it to stay on the field for long periods of time. BV (1.0) = 1,666, BV (2.0) = 1,831
- Alt. Config. D
- Intended as something of a medium-range brawler, the Cauldron-Born D features a pair of Ultra Autocannon/10s and an ER Large Laser. These are supplemented by a pair of ER Medium Lasers. Though the energy weapons appear primarily as backups, the less-than-ample ammunition bins ensure they will see a great deal of use. BV (1.0) = 1,814, BV (2.0) = 2,228
- Alt. Config. H
- The H variant returns to the Ultra Autocannon/20 of the A, though it strips out all of the other weapons. They are replaced by a Heavy Large Laser, a pair of Heavy Medium Lasers, and a single Medium Pulse Laser. All of these weapons are tied to an advanced targeting computer. Even though this variant mounts additional heat sinks, an inexperienced MechWarrior could still be overwhelmed by the amount of heat this variant can produce. BV (1.0) = 1,815, BV (2.0) = 2,359
- Ebon Jaguar Samantha
- A custom configuration used by the 6th Striker Cluster CO Star Captain Samantha Kotare during the Operation Bulldog assault against Luzerne,  her OmniMech was armed with an ER PPC and an Ultra AC/20 in its arms, supported by a trio of LRM-10's mounted in its right torso, and an ER Small Laser in its left. Two tons of reloads were carried for both the Ultra Autocannon and the LRM launchers. BV (2.0) = 2,372 
From MechWarrior Online:
- EBJ-EC Esprit De Corps
- Reportedly piloted by Star Captain Vesper Beckett of Clan Cloud Cobra, the Ebon Jaguar Hero 'Mech mounts an ER PPC and Streak SRM-6 in each arm, supported by a left torso-mounted Ultra Autocannon/5 and a right torso-mounted Medium Pulse Laser. Esprit De Corps carries two tons of Streak missiles and a single ton of Ultra Autocannon rounds.
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 180-181, "Cauldron-Born Profile"
- MUL online date for the Ebon Jaguar (Cauldron-Born)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 261
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 161
- Luthien, pp. 95-96 "New 'Mechs - Cauldron-Born"
- Invading Clans, p. 74
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental]], p. 17 "Discarded Tools of War"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 262
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 162
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 163
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 264
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 164
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 265
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 109
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 165
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 166
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 266
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 167
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 143
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 168
- Historical Turning Point: Luzerne, p. 18 "Introduction"
- Historical Turning Point: Luzerne, p. 18 "Eborn Jaguar Samantha"
- MechWarrior Online Clan Heroes Two Sale Page
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Design Quirk Table - Cauldron-Born (Ebon Jaguar).
- BattleMech Manual
- Combat Operations
- Historical Turning Points: Luzerne
- Invading Clans
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Master Unit List
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental