- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Armor||Leopard V Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Core Tek 275|
|Communications System||OmniComm 3|
|Targeting Tracking System||Starbeam 3000|
Introduced in 2587 for the SLDF, the Kintaro was designed with one sole mission: tagging enemy units with a Narc Missile Beacon. As such, it is a 'Mech that is intended to work in a team with a missile-heavy lance. After it delivers its deadly package to the enemy, the Kintaro disengages and lets its lance mates do most of the work as their missiles track the signal from the beacon. The act of putting this into practice is far less simple. With a maximum speed of 86.4 km/h the Kintaro is not able to engage and disengage from enemy units as easily as its designers envisioned and because of this, if a pilot is not observant of their surroundings and the enemy, they can find themselves in a very dangerous situation.
Unfortunately, the Succession Wars saw the last known Narc factory destroyed in 2792, and the advances made during the Star League era became lostech. The loss of Narc beacons rendered the Kintaro's role unnecessary, and it became just another missile-armed 'Mech. By the Third Succession War the Kintaro was nearly extinct, but in the end was saved when General Dynamics rebuilt a Kintaro factory on Ozawa, though they could only produce the downgraded KTO-18 variant. ComStar however maintained a number of original Kintaros which they used to outfit their Com Guards. They also produced their own slightly-downgraded variant, the KTO-19, which they gifted to the Draconis Combine as part of Operation Rosebud. Concentrated among the Ghost Regiments and certain Sword of Light regiments, the superiority of these 'Mechs over their Federated Commonwealth cousins caused an overreaction during the War of 3039 as they were targeted for destruction more than necessary, leaving other units free to fight.
Weapons and Equipment
The Kintaro is designed primarily around its missile beacon and its weapons load-out reflects this. For long range sparring and to provide some form of striking capability as it closes, the Kintaro carries a single Holly-5 LRM-5 Launcher. When the Kintaro moves into range to actually hit the enemy with the Narc beacon, it has two HoverTec-6 SRM-6 launchers and two Magna Medium Lasers that come into play, making it a competent and deadly close combat 'Mech. However, the left-arm system, where the Holly-5 and one of the HoverTec-6 launchers are located, is extremely complex, requiring the entire arm to lock in place for three seconds while reloads stored in the torso cycle through. Sudden movements can cause the SRM system to jam, which usually requires an hour to clear before it is usable again, although jams for the LRM launcher are very rare. As yet the reason for this difference in performance between the two systems has not been determined.
- Put into production during the Third Succession War for the Federated Suns by General Dynamics of Ozawa, the downgraded KTO-18 Kintaro was manufactured using the Succession Wars era technology available at the time. As far as the weapons on the 'Mech, the then LosTech Narc beacon was replaced with an additional SRM-6 giving the KTO-18 increased close range capabilities. The advanced Ferro-Fibrous plating was exchanged for eleven tons of standard armor, resulting in only a negligible loss of armor protection. BV (1.0) = 864, BV (2.0) = 1,187
- The KTO-19b was an upgrade utilized by the Royal Brigades of the SLDF. It used an XL Engine and Double Heat Sinks to free up space to upgrade the KTO-19's LRM-5 launcher to a larger LRM-15 with two tons of CASE-protected ammunition. CASE was also added to the SRM ammo bins, with the leftover half ton devoted to more armor. BV (2.0) = 1,265
- The KTO-20, used to good effect in the War of 3039, was the slightly downgraded version of the KTO-19 given to the Draconis Combine by ComStar as part of Operation Rosebud. The KTO-20 was nearly identical to its Star League era cousin, the only real difference being the loss of the Narc Missile beacon in exchange for a Magna Mk III Large Laser. It was equipped with double heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,081, BV (2.0) = 1,357
- Developed by both ComStar and the Word of Blake, the KTO-21 was the first 'Mech to utilize both the new Improved Narc Missile Beacon (iNarc for short) and the improved C3 computer system. In order to utilize these new systems, the KTO-21 was refitted with an Endo Steel chassis and carried half a ton less armor than the KTO-19. Retaining only the two SRM launchers, the LRM launcher was dropped and the standard medium lasers were upgraded to more advanced ER Medium Lasers, enhanced by a switch to Double Heat Sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,206 (C3: 111), BV (2.0) = 1,295
- An upgrade to the KTO-C, the KTO-K removed the Large Laser and LRM launcher to upgrade the short-range missiles to Streak SRM-6s. The lasers were upgraded to ER Medium Lasers and a third was added. The most significant difference was the addition of Jump jets to allow the unit to leap up to 150 meters. BV (2.0)= 1,571
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- KTO-GB "Golden Boy"
- The Kintaro Hero 'Mech, the "Golden Boy" mounts an 220 rated XL Engine, near maximum armor and ten Double Heat Sinks to support a weapons array consisting of a two SRM-4 launchers in its center torso, an SRM-6 launcher in its right torso and left arm supplied with four tons of ammo. As back up a trio of Medium Pulse Lasers, one mounted in the left arm and two in the right.
- MUL online date for the Kintaro
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 116
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 66, "KTR-18 Kintaro"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 260, "KTR-18 Kintaro"
- Record Sheets: 3039, pg. 135 & Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 260-261
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169, "SLDF Royal Units"
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 22
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), pg. 136
- Combat Operations, p. 125
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 201, "KTO -20 Kintaro"
- Combat Operations, p. 123
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), p. 137
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), pg. 138
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 157
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), p. 139
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update Hyena SalvageMech - Fluff includes Hyena being built from salavaged Kintaros.
- Combat Operations
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3075