|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Foundation AKU Endo Steel|
|Armor||Durallex Special Heavy|
|Communications System||Sipher Security Plus|
|Targeting Tracking System||Matabushi Sentinel|
|Heat Sinks||13 double|
- For the DCMS MechWarrior, see Jerry Akuma.
Created in 3058 in response to a call from Theodore Kurita to build more cost-effective BattleMechs with which to combat the Clans, the Akuma (meaning "Devil" in Japanese) was designed by Independence Weaponry as a low-cost alternative to their Atlas variant. The Akuma actually shares several components with the Atlas and, much like that design, also features a head design intended to evoke fear in its enemies. The Akuma is built on a Foundation AKU Endo Steel chassis and is powered by a rugged and reliable GM 270 fusion engine that allows the 'Mech to reach a top speed of 54.0 km/h. The 'Mech has thirteen double heat sinks to dissipate waste heat and carries seventeen and a half tons of Durallex Special Heavy armor for protection from enemy fire.
Weapons and Equipment
The Akuma carries a Lord's Light 2 ER PPC and a powerful Imperator Code Red LB-X Autocannon/10 as its primary long-range weapons. The latter weapon gives it a good amount of flexibility in engaging targets as the autocannon can fire both solid and cluster ammunition. For medium to close range combat, the Akuma has a Shigunga MRM-30 launcher and two highly accurate short range missile launchers produced by Guided Technologies; a 2nd Gen Streak SRM-6 and a 2nd Gen Streak SRM-4 launcher. Finally, a Victory 23R medium laser and a Victory Heartbeat Medium Pulse Laser round out the Akumas eclectic and effective weapons payload.
- A jump-capable variant of the Akuma, the 1XJ can jump up to ninety meters by sacrificing heat dissipation capacity and firepower. The 'Mech has only ten double heat sinks and completely changes its weapons array. The only long-range weapon it carries is an ER Large Laser. The MRM-30 has been upgraded to an MRM-40 launcher. For overwhelming close-range firepower, the 1XJ carries an LB-X Autocannon/20 in place of the class-10 version and has two Medium Pulse Lasers and an ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 1,649, BV (2.0) =2,203
- An offshoot of the 2X, this Akuma model keeps the MRM-40, Apollo FCS, and LB 10-X of the earlier variant. A second Medium Pulse Laser joins the first, and it also carries a C3 boosted slave, Angel ECM Suite, and a Coolant Pod to offset the loss of a heat sink. A Snub-Nose PPC replaces the Heavy PPC. The protection is further enhanced through the use of CASE. BV (2.0) = 2,134
- This variant, also introduced during the Jihad, replaces all the existing weaponry for a C3 slave, Heavy PPC, Rotary AC/5, two Medium Pulse Lasers, an ER medium laser, and a pair of MML-9 launchers. It also carries a Guardian ECM Suite to disrupt electronic warfare systems. Like the AKU-2XC, it uses a Compact Gyro. The protection is further enhanced through the use of CASE. BV (2.0) = 2,170
- Atlas - The Draconis Combine created the Akuma as an inexpensive alternative to the venerable Atlas. As such, the design shares similar traits like the well-known "death's head" of the design.
- The Akuma initially received the Distracting Design Quirk in addition to the Easy to Maintain Design Quirk in the Beta version of the BattleTech Manual; the Distracting Design Quirk was removed in the later official release of the book.
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 178–179: "AKU-1X Akuma"
- MUL online profile for Akuma
- Technical Readout: 3067, pp. 96-97, "Akuma 'Mech Profile"
- Combat Operations, p. 124
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 169
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 170
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 114
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 171
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Battlemech Quirk Table - Akuma.