|Manufacturer||Alliance Defenders Limited
Mountain Wolf BattleMechs
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Heavy Star QAT-4|
|Communications System||Magestrix Alpha|
|Targeting Tracking System||Magestrix Gamma|
|Heat Sinks||18 single|
|Jump Jets||Pitban LFT 50|
The Merlin debuted in 3010 as a product of the rebuilt Mountain Wolf BattleMechs. The Merlin was hailed as a technological marvel at the time it was released, as it was the first completely new design to be developed in over 100 years.
The Merlin became the salvation of Mountain Wolf BattleMechs; the company was barely a name, without production facilities, for centuries, barely kept alive. Two of the members of the company, however, designed a new 'Mech which could be produced with 3010s technology, with parts produced around the Inner Sphere. The new design, however, was rejected by Mountain Wolf's CEO, Michael O'Leary; after his death, his son, Brandon O'Leary, succeeded him and, after sealing a deal with Outworlds Alliance President Ronaine Avellar, production began at the Alpheratz plant. The new 'Mech was so successful that it saved the company and was soon produced in a new factory, on Vendrell.
The Merlin became so popular that a member of House Avellar bought one for his niece, Rowan Avellar, in 3029. However, even that year, the 'Mech was very rarely seen in the Inner Sphere's House units, but became very popular among mercenary groups, as it was cheap to buy and able to serve multiple roles. Wolverton's Highlanders had the largest concentration of them.
The Merlin uses components that are all reliable and readily available, making it a durable and easy-to-repair 'Mech. The 'Mech is powered by a Pitban 240 fusion engine that gives it a top speed of 64.8 km/h. The Merlin carries ten and a half tons of armor, which is a respectable amount of protection for its weight. Additionally, the Merlin carries eighteen heat sinks to handle its heavy heat load.
Weapons and Equipment
The Merlin is armed to be able to engage an enemy at any range. For long range combat, the 'Mech carries a Magna Hellstar PPC and a Holly LRM-5 launcher. To protect itself at medium to short ranges, a pair of Martell Model 5 medium lasers provide the Merlin with respectable short range firepower. Finally, to protect the 'Mech against infantry attacks, the Merlin has a Zippo Flamer and a Sperry Browning Machine Gun. Four Pitban LFT-50 series jump jets allow the 'Mech to travel up to 120 meters in the air.
- This field upgrade to the 1B developed by Lushann Industries in 3068 replaces the medium lasers with ER medium lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,051; BV (2.0) = 1,267
- This version of the Merlin keeps the generalist approach of prior models by only upgrading a few systems. Each arm mounted medium laser has been replaced by a Light PPC increasing the Merlin's long range punch while also hindering it up close. The original machine gun has been replaced with a Heavy Machine Gun and a half ton of ammunition. CASE in the left torso protects both the HMG and LRM ammunition. Thirteen double heat sinks do a good job of keeping the 'Mech cool. BV (2.0) = 1,370
- This Merlin variant is a deadly infighter. Only the flamer and LRM-5 remain from its original armament. Each arm now holds a Medium Variable Speed Pulse Laser and the right torso now contains a Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser. These highly accurate lasers give this Merlin a devastating damage capacity up close. Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor covers this variant and thirteen double heat sinks can struggle to keep this variant cool. BV (2.0) = 1,182
- Merlin C
- This Clan Snow Raven variant completely rebuilds the 'Mech with Clan technology. Survivability of this variant is improved through the use of Ferro-Lamellor armor. The traditional torso-mounted PPC is now a Clan grade ER PPC. Both arm mounted medium lasers have been replaced by Improved Heavy Medium Lasers. A Heavy Machine Gun sits in the left torso alongside the traditional Flamer. A Streak LRM-5 resides in the right torso. Eighteen Clan double heat sinks keep this design cool in most situations. BV (2.0) = 1,870
- MLN-1B Merlin Porter
- A uniquely customized Merlin introduced in 3064, which was created by a tech named Porter Romero on Armington. He salvaged the 'Mech from a pirate raid during the 3060s. Using a wrecked militia Bulldog for parts, he replaced the ruined PPC and LRM-5 with the tank's Large Laser and SRM 4 Launcher as well as adding additional armor. BV (1.0) = 909
- An experimental variant of the Merlin which was created by the FedSuns' Sabanillas Mining Company and developed in 3075. Created by retired FedSun Major Caleb Gruber, he used his company to produce three of these modified Merlins. Gruber had the Merlin's internal structured strengthened by installing Endo-Composite Internal Structure and switching out the Standard Pitban Fusion Engine for a lighter version. He then added five tons of Armored Shielding to protect the 'Mech's engine and side torsos. Gruber then exchanged the original 1A's medium lasers for Blakist tech Medium VSP Lasers. He then added ancient or Retrotech Laser Insulators to help cool down the VSP lasers. Lastly, he exchanged the old PPC for a Bombast Laser. The MLN-SX also sports 14 Double heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,181
The Merlin has the following Design Quirks:
- The Merlin was the first sample 'Mech used to demonstrate the 'Mech construction rules with the Battledroids rulebook, where it appears in a slightly different configuration owing to slightly different construction rules. Like the Chameleon, it was largely overlooked until it finally received a proper entry in Technical Readout: 3058.
Original Merlin from TRO:3058
Experimental MLN-SX Merlin from XTRO:Boondocks
Merlin from RG ilClan: vol. 26
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Technical Readout: Succession Wars, pp. 112–113: "MLN-1A Merlin"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 26, p. 7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 MUL online date for the Merlin (BattleMech)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 142–143: "MLN-1A Merlin"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 256
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 264
- ↑ Seal The Deal in Shrapnel, issue #11, pp. 213–218
- ↑ There's No We in Mercenary, p. 125
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3058, p. 120
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 MUL online date for the Merlin MLN-1B variant
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 136
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 257
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 265
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 MUL online date for the Merlin MLN-1C variant
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 258
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 266
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 26, p. 24
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 26, p. 25
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 MUL online date for the Merlin MLN-1B (Porter) variant
- ↑ Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs, p. 8: Merlin Porter - Custom Variant published by BattleCorps website
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 MUL online date for the Merlin MLN-SX variant
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Boondocks, pp. 4, 17: MLN-SX Merlin - Experimental Prototype Merlin
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 93: BattleMech Quirk Table - Merlin Entry
- BattleTech, 2nd Edition
- BattleTech Manual: The Rules of Warfare
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Boondocks
- Master Unit List
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 26
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs
- Seal the Deal (short story)
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade