- June News Roundup 2020 - Supplemental
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June 2020
- Did You Know? Other Games Come And Go, But MechWarrior: Living Legends Is Here To Stay
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- Read more →
- This article is about Clan Nova Cat's medium OmniMech. For Clan Jade Falcon's heavy fire-support BattleMech, see Shadow Cat II.
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Type 79-45 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound H17 Ferro-Fibrous with CASE|
|Engine||RFUM 270 XL|
|Communications System||JNE Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Build 2 CAT TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Speed||97 km/h (130 km/h with MASC)|
|Jump Jets||Model KY Boosters|
The Shadow Cat is a heavily-armed and maneuverable medium OmniMech developed by Clan Nova Cat to replace the Ice Ferret in the early 31st century during preparations for Operation Revival. Use of the Shadow Cat has spread to other Clans since its introduction, most notably, the Annihilated Clan Smoke Jaguar, Clan Cloud Cobra, Clan Fire Mandrill, Clan Steel Viper, Clan Diamond Shark and Clan Wolf. First encountered by Inner Sphere forces at the Battle of Luthien, the Shadow Cat was subsequently used by the Clans during the Battle of Tukayyid against ComStar. It is one of the few invasion-era Clan 'Mechs to lack a separate Inner Sphere designation; all Inner-Sphere pilots who encountered it before Tukayyid died, and ComStar was informed of its designation before that battle, resulting in both sides using the same name.
The Shadow Cat was such a successful design that it has seen continued production by Clan Nova Cat well into the Dark Age period.
Weapons and Equipment
This expensive OmniMech makes use of weight-saving technologies in the form of an Endo Steel internal structure, an XL Engine, and seven tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. All of these together allow the Shadow Cat to employ more pod space than the Ice Ferret at the expense of speed. To counteract this, the base chassis employs enough jump jets to vault up to 180 meters in a single bound and Myomer Accelerated Signal Circuitry that enables it to move up to 130 km/h in bursts.
The primary configuration of the Shadow Cat wields a Gauss Rifle allowing it to handily defeat smaller opponents, often before they can get within range. A pair of smaller ER Medium Lasers back up the rifle, together able to deal almost as much damage as the gauss rifle can. An Active Probe gives the Shadow Cat the ability to detect hidden units, making it a capable scout.
- Alt. Config. A
- The first alternate configuration is also potent at long range, but it uses a pair of ER Large Lasers to gain that potency. It retains the Active Probe of the prime, but uses a Streak SRM-6 for backup. It also utilizes three extra double heat sinks to keep heat levels comfortable. BV (1.0) = 1,972, BV (2.0) = 2,220
- Alt. Config. B
- This variant is also a fusion of long-range weaponry with a scouting system. This configuration adds a pair of Artemis IV-guided LRM 15s to the Active Probe. It also has a pair of ER Medium Lasers for backup, though it adds an ECM Suite to the electronics package. BV (1.0) = 2,123, BV (2.0) = 2,420
- Alt. Config. C
- A more recent variant, the Shadow Cat C marries a pair of ATM 6s to three ER Medium Lasers. It mounts enough ammunition to make use of the flexibility of the Advanced Tactical Missile System. A Narc Missile Beacon helps Starmates' missiles target an enemy unit. BV (1.0) = 1,817, BV (2.0) = 2,199
- Alt. Config. H
- This configuration makes its presence known at long range through the use of an LRM-20 that gets help from an Artemis IV FCS. A Targeting Computer-assisted Heavy Large Laser packs a wallop, though four extra double heat sinks are used to keep heat in check. BV (1.0) = 1,980, BV (2.0) = 2,155
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- SHC-MI "Mishipeshu"
- A customized variant of the Shadow Cat. A depiction of Nova Cat Khan, Lucian Carns' personal mech of choice. The Mishipeshu uses a ER Large Laser in its left arm. The right arm carries an Ultra Autocannon/5 with one ton of ammo, supported by an ER Medium Laser. In the right torso, a Streak SRM-6 with a ton of ammo. 
- Shadow Cat II - The Shadow Cat II is a heavier, non-Omni variant of the Shadow Cat developed by Clan Jade Falcon.
- Lucian Carns - The saKhan of Clan Nova Cat was piloting a Shadow Cat-Prime at the time of his death during the Great Refusal.
In German products the unit's proper Clan name was perfectly translated to Schattenkatze.
The Shadow Cat as originally depicted in The Black Thorns
Shadow Cat firing its Gauss Rifle
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries version of the Shadow Cat
MechWarrior Online art of the Shadow Cat
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 170-171, "Shadow Cat Profile"
- MUL online date for the Shadow Cat
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 201
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 134
- The Black Thorns, pp. 58-59
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 166-167, "Shadow Cat"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental p.17
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 202
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 135
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 203
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 136
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 204
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 77
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 137
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 112
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 113
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 205
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 78
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 138
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 139
- MechWarrior Online - "Night Gyr"
- Twilight of the Clans, p. 38, "Attacker", Carns' 'Mech and BattleTech statistics