8th Bear Cuirassiers (Rasalhague Dominion)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|8th Bear Cuirassiers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3085)|
|Nickname||The Blinding Drive|
|Parent Formation||Delta Galaxy|
The Eighth Bear Cuirassiers fought on the following worlds during the invasion of the Inner Sphere.
The 34th Striker Trinary of the 8th was assigned to taken the Free Rasalhague Republic world of Damien during the Ghost Bear's first invasion wave in March 3050. Supposedly defended by the Black Omen mercenary unit, the 34th Trinary instead were disappointed to discover the mercenaries had disappeared, leaving a leaving a small garrison before moving on after six days of fruitless searching. Recognizing they had little chance against frontline Clan troops, the Omen however had gone into hiding and waited, emerging to overrun the small Clan force the left behind two month later.   
Enraged by the mercenaries' treachery, the Eight Cuirassiers joined with Beta Galaxy to retake Damien during their second wave, offering no mercy to the forces of the Black Omen. Engaging in unorthodox tactics, including wrapping their BattleMechs in huge swaths of burlap before submerging their 'Mechs in a ice lake to mask their initial counter-attack against the arriving Bears, the Omen gave as good they got, taking heavy losses but surviving until the arrival of a DCMS task force responding to a distress call offering Clan-tech salvage allowed them to escape off-world.     
While not initially among the clusters of Detla bid by Khan Bjorn Jorgensson to take the Draconis Combine world of Thessalonika, when the defending 12th Sun Zhang Academy Cadre and 8th Alshain Regulars proved tougher than expected the Eighth Cuirassiers were eventually called down to overwhelm the DCMS troops. Though the 12th and other conventional elements were easily crushed, the Eighth Alshain proved frustratingly illusive until one of Delta's WarShips by chance discovered a small research station on one of the world's moons which had been relaying the Bear's troop movements. Once the station was captured, depriving them DCMS unit with its source of intel, the Eight Alshain finally fell.  
As part of Delta Galaxy, the 8th Bear Cuirassiers were among the Clusters to see action during the Battle of Tukayyid. Assigned to take the secondary objective city of Luk together with Beta Galaxy, Delta's advance was checked when the 91st and Twelfth Divisions managed to trap Delta's 20th Polar Bear Attack Cluster and inflict heavy losses. This action forced Beta and Delta to withdraw and try to reinforce Alpha Galaxy's drive on Spanac.    
The combined forces of Alpha, Beta and Delta striking at the primary target of Spanac forced the Com Guards to withdraw from the city. Beta and Delta were left to garrison Spanac while an unsuccessful Alpha attempted to take Luk.   
During the Combine-Ghost Bear War, the Eighth faced the newly formed 44th Dieron Regulars on Najha, obliterating the green unit completely. The Eighth returned to Toffen after the war's conclusion. 
As part of Delta Galaxy, the Eighth Cuirassiers supported Beta Galaxy's actions on Pesht. The Eighth then participated in taking Eltanin, Alya, Kervil, Sabik and Skondia. Though successful, these operations reduced the Eighth to less than half their pre-war strength. The Black Wing was totally destroyed in the fighting over Skondia, but their sacrifice allowed the ground forces to arrive safely. Since that time, every 'Mech and vehicle of the Cluster has a black wing painted on the right shoulder or flank.
The Dark Age
After the Jihad ended, the Eighth Bear Cuirassiers became part of Alpha Galaxy and garrisoned Tinaca. The unit had rebuilt to 55% of its pre-Jihad strength. In 3098 they were the first Dominion unit to proceed across the Draconis Combine border. They assaulted Mualang, and inflicted heavy losses on the defending Nova Cat Hussars in two days. The Hussars eventually withdrew, but the Eighth had inflicted so many losses the Nova Cat unit was disbanded. The Eighth remained on Mualang for almost two years, but were ordered to assault Asgard with the rest of Alpha Galaxy. The Eighth, and the rest of Alpha, fought hard but couldn't take the world from the defending Nova Cats. A cease-fire in 3101 allowed Alpha to withdraw, and the Eighth returned to garrison Mualang.
In 3098 the Eighth landed on Yamarovka with the express goal of killing Khan Santin West. They landed and sprinted directly for the Nova Cat enclave near the city of Chita. They arrived and surrounded the enclave, only to be hit from behind by the Cat's Eye Cluster and Nekoryu Keshik Supernova. After fighting for two hours, they breached the enclave's walls. West was killed in this conflict. In December of that same year, the Eighth landed on Mualang and destroyed all the military facilities on the world. They also smashed the Nova Cat Hussars. In August 3099 the Eighth were still on Mualang when the DCMS sent the 17th Benjamin Regulars and the Dragonscales Cluster to re-take the world. The Eighth instead inflicted heavy losses on the Nova Cats, then drove the Seventeenth off-world.
The Eighth Bear Cuirassiers continued to serve as a part of Alpha Galaxy throughout the Dark Age. Alpha Galaxy continued to be the lead Galaxy for the Rasalhague Dominion, and as such spent a considerable amount of time protecting Alshain, the cultural heart of Clan Ghost Bear. Given that Khan Dalia Bekker regarded the Republic of the Sphere with reverence it was a foregone conclusion that Alpha Galaxy would be sent to secure the worlds of Alrakis and Konstance as the Inner Sphere began to erupt into widespread warfare again. Having deployed in 3135, Alpha Galaxy only remained in place until Omega Galaxy secured Vega.
Although Alpha Galaxy wasn't around for subsequent events leading up to the formation of the Vega Protectorate, many in Alpha came to feel that steps should have been taken to prevent Omega Galaxy from "going native" at the time, and given Khan Bekkar's conservative views there was a building sense of expectation that Alpha would be called on to remove Omega's taint.
- Trinary Command - Star Captain Trudy Devon
- Alpha Command Star (10 OmniFighters)
- Bravo Command Star (10 OmniFighters)
- Charlie Command Star (10 OmniFighters)
- 286th Assault Trinary - Star Captain Dimon Bekker
- 90th Striker Trinary - Star Captain Della Ortiz
- Alpha Striker Star (5 OmniMechs)
- Bravo Striker Star (5 OmniMechs)
- Charlie Striker Star (5 OmniMechs)
- 56th Elemental Support Trinary - Star Captain Tamm Hakimi
- Alpha Elemental Star (25 Elementals)
- Bravo Elemental Star (25 Elementals)
- Charlie Elemental Star (25 Elementals)
- 47th Fighter Binary - Star Captain Endo Kabrinski
- Alpha Fighter Star (10 OmniFighters)
- Bravo Fighter Star (10 OmniFighters)
- Trinary Command (Star Captain Trudy Devon) (3 OmniFighter Stars)
- 286th Assault Trinary (Star Captain Dimon Bekker) (3 OmniMech Stars)
- 90th Striker Trinary (Star Captain Della Ortiz) (3 OmniMech Stars)
- 56th Elemental (Star Captain Tamm Hakimi) Support Trinary (3 Elemental Stars)
- 47th Fighter Binary (Star Captain Endo Kabrinski) (2 OmniFighter Stars)
- 5 Trinaries (includes 5 Stars of OmniFighters)
Eighth Bear Cuirassiers (Veteran/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Eighth was stationed on Mualang, and was at ninety percent of full strength; almost ninety percent of the Guards were equipped with OmniMechs.
- The Eighth's insignia is a soldier mounted on a running bear, against a background of snow and lightning.
The Eighth Bear Cuirassiers are one of the most skilled units in the Dominion touman. They receive a +2 Initiative bonus against opponents. (This bonus is increased to +3 when fighting Nova Cats.) The Eighth's controlling player may choose one unit from the Dominion RAT for each Star instead of rolling a random unit.
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 38 "The Black Omen"
- Mercenary Supplemental II, p. 24 "The Black Omen"
- Invading Clans, p. 30 "Clan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone (As of July 3052) - First Wave - Damien (FRR)"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 41
- The Tools We Serve
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 90 "Delta Galaxy: The Blitzkrieg"
- The Tools We Serve
- 26-27 "Wave Five: The Roaring Bear"
- Tukayyid, pp. 48-56 "Campaign: Clan Ghost Bear"
- Invading Clans, p. 29 "Tukayyid: World of Fate"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 82 "The Roaring Bear"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 163 "The Warden Clans (Deployment as of 17 January 3061) - Clan Ghost Bear - Delta Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 107
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 77
- Field Report: The Clans, p. 9
- Field Report: The Clans, p. 11
- Era Report: 3145, pp. 72-73
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 19
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 26
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 37
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 162, "Alpha Galaxy"
- Invading Clans, p. 40
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 172, "Alpha Galaxy (The Golden Bears)"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 166