|Manufacturer||Star League Weapons Research |
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Chassis||Star League XT|
|Communications System||Dalban Comline|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban HiRez-B|
The Banshee, introduced in 2445 by the Terran Hegemony, is a 'Mech that was designed specifically for close-assault operations during the early years of BattleMech warfare. A contemporary of the Mackie and Emperor, the Banshee is undeniably fast for one of the heaviest 'Mechs ever produced, and with fifteen tons of armor it is better protected than most other assault 'Mechs. However the use of a massive GM 380 fusion engine left little room for weaponry, and even at the time of its introduction the Banshee was considered under-gunned compared to its privately-built competition. As critics noted, what use was impressive armor and mobility if a better-armed enemy could overwhelm and destroy it? The result was a mediocre 'Mech which even the lowly Rifleman could beat as long as it prevented the Banshee's mass from coming into play.
The Hegemony soldiered on though, producing five thousand Banshees in a decade before its poor combat performance finally forced them to stop production in 2455 and the 'Mech was relegated to training and militia units for the next few centuries. Even during the Succession Wars the 'Mech's poor reputation meant many commanders saw it as a liability rather than an asset; unless they were fighting on a backwater Periphery world or as part of a poorly-equipped outfit, most Banshees were placed in second-line reserves to provide fire support or fulfill the role of brawlers so that better-armed 'Mechs need not engage in hand-to-hand combat. In this way fully a third of the original Banshee production run remained operational by the dawn of the thirty-first century and could be found throughout the Inner Sphere and Periphery, with the lion's share residing within the Lyran Commonwealth.
Though a few attempts had been made over the years to improve the Banshee, Defiance Industries was the first to produce a variant which markedly improved on the original and was suggested by many of its original critics. With help from the Federated Suns and access to blueprints from the original Hesperus II factories, the BNC-3S proved to be such a success the Lyrans began fielding them in front line units. Under the Federated Commonwealth improvements would continue to be made, though not at the same priority level as other projects, and the much-improved BNC-5S was active in time to meet the Clan Invasion.
Weapons and Equipment
The two primary weapons on the Banshee, a Magna Hellstar PPC matched up with an Imperator-A Autocannon/5 with one ton of ammo, are mounted in the right and left sides of its torso. The two systems compliment each other with similar range profiles and would provide good firepower for a 'Mech weighing at half the tonnage of the Banshee. Perversely for a close-combat 'Mech their minimum ranges means both weapons present targeting difficulties as the Banshee closes in on its enemy, and a Magna Mk I Small Laser mounted in its head appears to have been installed as an afterthought. Sixteen heat sinks help keep the 'Mech cool though, and thanks to its prodigious size the Banshee can turn lighter 'Mechs to scrap in hand-to-hand fighting.
- The original design first produced in 2445, this Banshee variant carries the PPC, Autocannon/5, and Small Laser of the later 3E, as well as a pair of Medium Lasers. As one of the largest 'Mechs produced with primitive technology, the engine was restricted to a top speed of 54km/h. More than twenty-two tons of Primitive Armor provided protection to the MechWarrior. The poor top speed of the Banshee-1E was the core design obstacle later engineers would try to overcome in the 3E series. They succeeded, but at the cost of firepower.
- Exclusive to Noisiel and serving as one of the "Queens" in the Noisiel Summer Games' famed "BattleChess" matches, the low technology BNC-3EA trades the standard BNC-3E's PPC for a Large Laser, saving weight to add a single rear-facing Small Laser to each side torso and forward facing Medium Laser in the center torso.
- The 3M was the first attempt to truly alter the original Banshee and increase its raw firepower. Produced by the Free Worlds League the 3M replaced the Autocannon/5 with a second PPC and installed two Medium Lasers. While this does increase the firepower of the 'Mech, it puts an incredible heat burden on the machine as well. BV (1.0) = 1,267, BV (2.0) = 1,595
- The 3MC was developed by the Magistracy of Canopus around the time of the War of 3039. It removes five heat sinks and the AC/5 to make room for an Autocannon/10 with two tons of ammunition. Armor protection, speed, and other weaponry remains the same as the -3E model Banshee. BV (2.0) = 1,487
- A Marik variant produced due to a lack of PPCs, the 3Q removes both Autocannon/5 and PPC and replaces them with a massive Imperator-Zeta Autocannon/20. While this increases the sheer firepower that the Banshee brings to the fight, it also lacks any real secondary weapons and the fact that it has no long range firepower makes it even more vulnerable to bombardment from lighter, better armed 'Mechs. BV (1.0) = 1,151, BV (2.0) = 1,394
- The 3S was Defiance Industries' attempt to turn the Banshee into a typical assault 'Mech, replacing the bulky GM engine with a lighter Pitban 285. While this reduces its maximum speed to 54 km/h, it also frees up a great deal of room for weapons. The 'Mech is armed with two PPCs for long range, an Imperator-B Autocannon/10 to engage an enemy at intermediate ranges, four Magna Mk II Medium Lasers and a Harpoon SRM-6 launcher for short-range combat, and finally a second Small Laser to round out the weapons payload. Five more heat sinks were added, though overheating remains a problem, and its armoring remains the same. BV (1.0) = 1,323, BV (2.0) = 1,751
- An upgrade of the 3S variant using Star League technology, the 5S replaces the engine with an XL Engine and uses double heat sinks to save weight, restoring its top speed to 64.8 km/h. The 'Mech is armed for long range combat with a Poland Main Model A Gauss Rifle and two Defiance 1001 ER PPCs. For close ranges, the 'Mech has a TharHes Maxi SRM-6, four Defiance B3M Medium Lasers, and two Defiance B3S Small Lasers, and is also equipped with an Angst Clear Channel 3 comsys. BV (1.0) = 1,613, BV (2.0) = 2,065
- The 6S variant of the Banshee is powered by a Light Fusion Engine and built on an Endo Steel chassis. It is armed with an LB-X Autocannon/10 for long-range combat while a Heavy Gauss Rifle is used at medium to close ranges. The 'Mech retains the Small Laser of the 3E model but is protected with fourteen and a half tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 1,713 (1,641), BV (2.0) = 1,899
- The 7S is an upgrade of the 5S model and is also powered by a Light Fusion Engine. The 'Mech is built on an Endo Steel chassis and carries fifteen and a half tons of armor. The 7S is armed with a Gauss Rifle and an ER PPC for long-range firepower. For close range support, it has an SRM-6 and four ER Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,687, BV (2.0) = 2,126
- The variant of the Banshee was created by the Word of Blake after they took over Hesperus II in 3070. It turns the 'Mech into a brawler with the inclusion of Triple Strength Myomer and a Hatchet. It returns to the XL Engine of the 5S and keeps the ubiquitous Small Laser. The LB-X Autocannon/10 is retained from the 6S, though it moves to the other side. An ER Large Laser is added for use at long range and a Snub-Nose PPC is effective at medium range, though it is more damaging up close. An XL Gyro frees up tonnage for four medium lasers, two standard and two extended range models, as well an ER Small Laser. The inclusion of only thirteen double heat sinks ensures that the myomer activates easily. A C3 Slave Unit allows the 8S to share targeting telemetry, though the fact that it is not one of the Word's improved versions suggests that this 'Mech is not intended for use by Word of Blake Militia, but rather their mercenaries or even important planetary garrisons. Finally, eighteen tons of armor and a Guardian ECM Suite radically improve the defenses of the venerable Banshee. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 2,369
- This upgrade of the 8S was produced by Defiance Industries at their Kwangjong-ni annex while Word of Blake held Hesperus II. It retains the light engine of earlier models, but returns to the speed of the earliest versions. It carries a Defiance 753 Heavy PPC, Defiance 250 Light PPC, and Poland Main Model A Gauss Rifle for long range combat. Should an enemy survive long enough to close with the 9S, it can utilize three Defiance E3M ER Medium Lasers and a single Defiance B3M Medium Laser. A TharHes Maxi SRM-6 can exploit weaknesses in an opposing unit's armor, while CASE keeps the ammunition from doing too much damage in the event of an explosion. In order to make room for all of these things, the XL Gyro of the 8S is also retained. Finally, a Targeting Computer improves the accuracy of all the weapons except for the missile launcher. BV (1.0) = ?, BV (2.0) = 2,487
- This version of the Banshee carries a Heavy PPC, two Light PPCs, Gauss Rifle, and an ER Medium Laser. All these weapons are tied into a Targeting Computer, and a C3 Boosted Slave allows it to share targeting data with other friendly units. It uses a light fusion engine and XL Gyro to free weight for these weapons and equipment. BV (2.0) = 2,426
- BNC-5S Vandergriff
- A custom BNC-5S piloted by Solaris VII duelist Victor Vandergriff during the Solaris riots. The weapon loadout is similar to a standard BNC-5S. Two ER PPCs are the main armaments, one mounted in the left arm and the other in the right torso. A LB-10X sits in the left torso. The two medium lasers of the original are retained in the left arm. The right arm contains a small SRM-4. Finally, four jump jets are added for increased mobility. BV (2.0) = 1,853
- Limited to three chassis, this Banshee model was a thought experiment by Defiance Industries engineers at Kwangjong-ni. Seeking to maximize protection, these engineers installed Armored Shoulder and Armored Hip actuators to prevent the 'Mech from losing a limb. The MechWarrior is protected by an Armored Cockpit. They also maximized protection by adding a ton of Modular Armor to each arm, leg, and forward torso. To make room for this equipment, they used an Endo Steel chassis and a Clan-spec XL Engine. For weapons, the engineers installed a Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle and a pair of Bombast Lasers, while an ER Small Laser fills the head as an afterthought. Though not particularly quick (max speed 54 km/h) this Banshee variant can take massive amounts of damage before it falls. BV(2.0)= 2,030
- Marshal Sharon Bryan piloted a Banshee during the invasion of Huntress until it was destroyed by a Smoke Jaguar Cauldron-Born. Her variant used two PPCs and one Gauss Rifle, likely a -5S model. 
- Solaris duelist Victor Vandergriff would utilize a customized Banshee during the ill-fated 3062 Solaris season on the cusp of the FedCom Civil War, dying at its controls during the riots that followed. 
Banshee in Tamar Cavaliers colors
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 11, "Infrastructural Integrity"
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 67
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11, "BattleMech Tech Timeline"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2, p. 8
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 116
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 166
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 104
- Introductory Record Sheets, pp. 24 & Record Sheets: 3039, p. 188
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2, p. 8
- Touring the Sphere: Noisiel, p. 15 "Noisiel Game Rules - Noisiel BattleChess - Noisiel BattleChess Pieces"
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 189
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 265
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 119
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 190
- Combat Operations, p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3030, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere), p. 201
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere), p. 202
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 151
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere), p. 203
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere), p. 204
- Another Banshee rears its Death's Head
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 181
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged p.268
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere) Unabridged, p. 267
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere) Unabridged, p. 268
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner, p. 8
- Sword And Fire
- Illusions of Victory, pp.225-252 - Last battle of Victor Vandergiff.
- Combat Operations
- Era Digest: Age of War
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- Introductory Record Sheets
- Master Unit List
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Sword and Fire
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Touring the Stars: Noisiel