- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Catalyst Announces 35th Anniversary BattleTech With New Available Products
- New MechWarrior 5 Trailer, Pre-Orders Online Now
- MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours Gets 4.0 Release
- Update On Beginner Box Set And BattleTech: Game Of Armored Combat
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||General Motors/Blackwell Industries,|
|Engine||GM 300 XL|
|Communications System||Blackwell Multi-Linq 55|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban HiRez II|
|Jump Jets||Chilton 600|
In 3010 officers of the famous Wolf's Dragoons mercenary unit contracted with Blackwell Industries of New Valencia on the project of modifying the highly successful 75-ton Marauder into a 100-ton assault 'Mech. Working from existing plans the design phase proved to be very short, the process of reinforcing the Marauder chassis turned out to be easier than expected, enhanced by the removal of the finicky and temperamental General Motors Whirlwind Autocannon for a much simpler Large Laser. First appearing with the infamous Zeta Battalion before spreading to Alpha Regiment, the Dragoons enemies soon learned to fear the appearance of Marauder IIs as foreshadowing a major advance, as for the remainder of the Third Succession War it remained the exclusive property of the mysterious Dragoons. 
This changed after the Fourth Succession War when Colonel Jaime Wolf authorized Blackwell to increase production and allow outside buyers access, on the proviso that each sale had to be approved by the Dragoons. Now spreading in limited numbers, the largest buyer outside the Dragoons would be the Miller's Marauders mercenary unit, famed for its almost exclusive use of the Marauder chassis and the secret loan of its DropShips to Zeta Battalion for their climatic rescue of the rest of the Dragoons on Crossing. When new unit commander Major Susan Barber expressed interest in the Marauder II, Colonel Wolf gave Blackwell the go-ahead to supply her with all she needed, by the Clan Invasion the now renamed Barber's Marauder II would boast almost a regiments worth of the fearsome assault 'Mech. 
Though Barber's Marauder II would help drive the considerable interest and demand for the powerful assault 'Mech, they would also damage its seeming aura of invincibility following their ignoble destruction by Clan Jade Falcon on Koniz in June 3064. Seeking to rekindle interest in their flagship 'Mech following its disastrous showing on Koniz, GM/Blackwell noted the Vicore Industries triggered refresh of "classic" designs to develop a more powerful and visually refreshed model. The resulting MAD-4S variant was the first widely available Marauder II, the Wolf's Dragoons easing of sale restrictions partly motivated by profit but also as a means to punish the Lyran Alliance for the theft of the Blackwell developed Light Fusion Engine, as of 3067 selling the 'Mech to all interested parties save those the Dragoons were fighting against in the Chaos March; the Word of Blake and the members of Trinity Alliance. 
The demand for the Marauder II would only increase in the Jihad following the Blakist's destruction of GM and Blackwell's production facilities for the 'Mech as part of their vendetta against the Wolf's Dragoons, with many salvaged examples in use among the nations of the Inner Sphere in a large number of variations following the Blakist's fall, the most notable being the MAD-6D developed by the Federated Suns and shared with the Republic of the Sphere. 
Weapons and Equipment
With the Marauder already a powerful and popular 'Mech, the Dragoons goals with the Marauder II were to enhance its abilities by strengthening its chassis to carry a much heavier armor and weapons load. The 'Mech was then armored with nineteen tons of Valiant Lamellor armor, giving it protection that rivals that of the Atlas and fitted with thirteen additional heat sinks, a total of twenty-nine, to allow a more ferocious rate of fire. Retaining its progenitor's Vlar 300 rated engine, with the MAD-5A built around an Extra Light model to save more weight for weapons, to make up for the reduced mobility, Marauder II was outfitted with Chilton 600 jump jets that give it a jumping capability of up to ninety meters.  
Retaining only the two Magna Mk II Medium Lasers, the 5A variant of the Marauder II carries as its primary weapons a pair of Magna Firestar ER PPCs in its arms which give it a powerful long range punch compared to the 4A. The ER PPCs are backed up by a right torso mounted Mydron Excel LB-X Autocannon/10 which gives the Marauder II the tactical flexibility of using both solid and cluster rounds. Curiously the 5A is built with CASE only in it's right torso, yet its three ton LB-X Autocannon ammunition bay sits in the left torso, leading some observers to suggest another projectile weapon field kit variant was being contemplated.
- The 4A Marauder II is built using technology available in 3012 when the design was first constructed. The 'Mech carries as its primary weapons two Magna Hellstar PPCs and replaces the Autocannon/5 of the original Marauder with a Magna Mk III Large Laser. For close combat, the 'Mech carries a pair of Medium Lasers. Additionally, the 'Mech is built using a standard fusion engine as the XL Engine used on the 5A was not available at the time.  BV (1.0) = 1,769, BV (2.0) = 2,073
- Using a shipment of Lyran bound MAD-4S hijacked by pirates, the 4H Marauder II is a refit developed by the Marian Hegemony that replaces the Heavy Gauss Rifle with four Rocket Launcher 20s, six Rocket Launcher 15s, and a Rocket Launcher 10 which gives the 4H incredible close range damage capabilities. BV (1.0) = 1,849, BV (2.0) = 2,180
- The 4K is a variant based mostly on the 4S. Though it retains the GM 300 Light Engine of its predecessor, the 4K has a Lord's Light 3 Heavy PPC mounted in each arm. Under each PPC is an Diverse Optics ER Small Laser. In order to make room for the larger cannons, the Heavy Gauss Rifle is replaced with a lighter, standard Poland Main Model A Gauss Rifle. BV (2.0) = 2,626
- This Dark Age-era variant was created by the Capellan Confederation. It uses a light fusion engine to reduce vulnerability to engine destruction, and carries a Gauss Rifle in each arm. These are supported by a single torso mounted ER PPC. A Guardian ECM Suite powers the Stealth Armor that encases this design. It retains the ability to jump 90 meters at a time. BV (2.0) = 2,839
- Introduced in 3064, 4S Marauder II uses the new Light Fusion Engine to make it less vulnerable to a side torso destruction. The visual aesthetic of the design was also altered to make it look even more intimidating. The 'Mech carries two Magna Firestar ER PPCs as its primary weapons and two Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers for close ranges. For added punch at medium to short ranges, the 4S carries a massive Blackwell Arms "Thunderfist" Heavy Gauss Rifle, the design specs of the Lyran pride and joy stolen by the Dragoons in revenge for the Lyran theft of the Light Fusion Engine technology. Despite this, following the Jihad the Lyrans adopted it as if it was their own. BV (1.0) = 2,249, BV (2.0) = 2,623
- Developed by the Word of Blake but also used by ComStar, this 3070 variant uses a standard Fusion Engine. Each arm contains a Snub-Nose PPC that does its best work up close, while a Heavy PPC is mounted in the body. A C3i Computer helps makes this Marauder II's weapons more accurate. Perhaps the most startling feature is enough improved jump jets to move up to one hundred fifty meters in a single leap. BV (2.0) = 2,383
- Based on the standard MAD-5A Marauder II, this variant uses an XL Engine to provide power. The weapons have been replaced with Snub-Nose PPCs, Light PPCs, and a Rotary AC/5. Three tons of ammunition in a CASE protected bay provides plenty of endurance. The single heat sinks were traded out for double heat sinks, and Improved Jump Jets provide a 150 meter jump radius. BV (2.0) = 2,378
- A refit developed in the fragmented Free Worlds League, the 6M is built around an Endo Steel frame and uses a 400 rated XL Engine to push its top speed to 64km/h. The jump range is also increased to 120 meters. It carries a Guardian ECM Suite in the torso, but the biggest change is to the weaponry. The dorsal cannon is an ER PPC, while the arm pods mount experimental Large and Medium X-Pulse Lasers. BV (2.0) = 2,218
- This variant was introduced in the Dark Age. It has a top speed of 54 km/h and a 90 meter jump radius. Powered by a Light Fusion Engine it carries an ER PPC and Medium Pulse Laser in each arm. A Gauss Rifle is carried in the right torso, and is protected by CASE. It also carries a forward facing ER Small Laser and a head mounted Atni-Missile System that covers the 'Mech's rear. Seventeen double heat sinks deal with the heat. BV (2.0) = 2,546
- Marauder II C
- Not to be confused with the Marauder IIC, the Marauder II C is a variant specially built for Wolf's Dragoons using Clan technology. The 'Mech is powered by a 400 rated XL Engine, which gives it a maximum speed of 64.8 km/h, matching the original Marauder. Additionally, the 'Mech is armed with two ER PPC]s, two ER Medium Lasers, and an LB-X Autocannon/10. Finally, the Marauder II C has excellent mobility provided by its jump jets with a jumping distance of one hundred and twenty meters. BV (1.0) = 2,991, BV (2.0) = 2,916
From MechWarrior Online:
- PGI's take on the MAD-4H, the 4HP mounts an ER PPC and Medium Laser in each arm supported by twin Rocket Launcher 20s in each side torso. Built around a 300-rated standard engine and three jump jets, nineteen tons of standard armor, twenty one single heat sinks, giving it a higher heat curve but more survivability in combat than the 4H.
- MAD-AL "Alpha"
- PGI's Marauder II Hero 'Mech features a unique loadout - a Ultra AC/10 in each arm supported by a pair of left-torso mounted Streak SRM-6 launchers and twin Medium Pulse Lasers in the right torso. Built around a 300-rated XL Engine, the Hero 'Mech features a Beagle Active Probe, three jump jets, nineteen tons of armor, three tons each of Ultra autocannon and Streak missile reloads offer reasonable endurance.
- Marauder II Bounty Hunter
- This version is built with Clan technology similar to the Marauder II C. It uses a standard 300 rated Fusion Engine with sixteen tons of Ferro Fibrous armor and Endo Steel internal structure. It is armed with an ER PPC and two Medium Pulse Lasers in each arm. A Gauss Rifle sits in the right torso with two tons of ammunition, and a Targeting Computer is in the left torso for increased accuracy. It has a Clan-tech CASE system to protect the Gauss Rifle, and can jump 90 meters at a time. BV (1.0) = 3,305 BV (2.0) = 3,767
- Marauder - This venerable BattleMech was used as the inspiration for the Marauder II.
- The infamous Bounty Hunter owns a Marauder II customized with Clan technology, painted all green with credit symbols.
MechWarrior Online Concept Art for the Marauder II
- Wolf's Dragoons, p. 109
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 302
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 223
- Wolf's Dragoons, p. 109 "MAD-4A Marauder II"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 302 "MAD-4A Marauder II"
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 212-213 "MAD-5A Marauder II"
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix, p. 56 "MAD-4S Marauder II"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 268 "MAD-6D Marauder II"
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 500
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 220
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 221
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 197
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 222
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 224
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 225
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 268
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrade Complete, p. 264
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 269
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 228
- Turning Points: Irian, p. 32
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 230
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 229
- Turning Points: Arcturus, p. 20
- Blood Legacy, p.
- Field Manual: Mercenaries p. 36
- Blood Legacy
- Declan Devalis' dossier from MechWarrior : Dark Age
- Interstellar Players, p 136
- Legacy of Outreach?
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrade
- Sandra Sung's dossier from MechWarrior : Dark Age
- The Bounty Hunter's dossier from MechWarrior : Dark Age
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix
- Total Warfare Style Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades
- Turning Points: Arcturus
- Turning Points: Irian
- Wolf's Dragoons