|Manufacturer||Ironhold Alpha Complex
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||JF 5 Light Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound JF Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||385 JF Extralight|
|Communications System||JF Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series JFVII Integrated|
|Heat Sinks||10 double|
|Speed||118 km/h (151 km/h with MASC)|
The development of the Black Lanner began due to the lessons learned by the Jade Falcons from their touman's performance during the Placement Trials for Operation REVIVAL. Delays with the initial models meant the Black Lanner only arrived in the Inner Sphere with the returning Falcon Khans following the selection of ilKhan Ulric Kerensky, and first saw action during the Battle of Tukayyid as fire-support units in light reconnaissance Stars. Since its initial deployment, the Black Lanner remained primarily a Jade Falcon design, with Clan Ice Hellion and Steel Viper also using a sizable number acquired due to numerous battles and trials between rival Clans since Tukayyid. 
While used for independent operations, the Black Lanner is most frequently seen in conjunction with lighter designs. Mixed Stars of Black Lanners, Fire Falcons and Fire Moths are common, with the lighter 'Mechs acting as spotters and harassers for the heavier 'Mechs, flushing out the opposing units for the Black Lanner to move in for the kill. This synergistic relationship is similar to that shared between the smaller indigenous fire falcon and the introduced black lanners on Ironhold, both birds benefiting from the presence of the other.
Originally built on the Jade Falcon homeworld of Ironhold, production would also eventually begin in the Inner Sphere to mitigate the distance to the Clan Homeworlds. By the dawn of the Wars of Reaving, production of the Black Lanner would cease in Clan Space by 3068 as tensions between the Falcons and the Home Clans increased.
Weapons and Equipment
Intended as a front-line 'Mech, the Black Lanner makes use of all weight-saving technology available to the Clan Jade Falcon scientists who designed it, including an XL engine, endo steel, and eight tons of ferro-fibrous armor. The Black Lanner also includes a MASC system on the base chassis that enables it to run up to 151 km/h in bursts, allowing it to outrun many 'Mechs half its size. The design sacrifices pod space for that speed however, with an engine almost half the Black Lanner's weight leaving a mere 13 tons for offensive weaponry.
The primary configuration of the Black Lanner is effective at all ranges. At long range, it can make use of an ER large laser and LRM-10, but when it closes in it can attack with a pair of ER medium lasers and an SRM-6 that can exploit holes in its opponent's armor. An ECM suite protects it from many forms of electronics.
- Alternate Configuration A
- The Black Lanner A is configured for electronic warfare and scouting. It uses an active probe to find hidden units, an ECM suite to counter enemy electronics, and a TAG spotting laser to designate targets for homing artillery. Offensively, it can call upon an ER PPC and a pair of medium pulse lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,801, BV (2.0) = 2,308
- Alternate Configuration D
- This close-range brawler mounts pairs of medium pulse lasers, SRM-6s, and ER small lasers, with a flamer and four machine guns. This configuration is devastating to conventional infantry and a serious threat to combat vehicles. An active probe ensures that it is rarely surprised. BV (1.0) = 1,390, BV (2.0) = 1,809
- Alternate Configuration F
- This scouting configuration carries five medium pulse lasers in the right arm, backed up by two Machine Gun Arrays in the left arm, each of which carries three light machine guns. The six machine guns all use the same half ton ammunition bay. A Light Active Probe reveals hidden targets. BV (2.0) = 2,197
- Alternate Configuration G
- The main firepower for this configuration comes from an ER large pulse laser in the right arm. This is supplemented by four LRM-5 launchers: One in the right torso and left torso, and two in the left arm. Two tons of ammunition are carried in the left torso. BV (2.0) = 1,929
- Alternate Configuration I
- This mixed tech configuration carries a targeting computer to make best use of the weapons: a medium variable speed pulse laser in the right arm, and a pair of ER medium lasers in the left. Three heavy machine guns and a half ton of ammo is carried in the right torso, while the left torso carries a Streak SRM-4 and one ton of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 1,803
- Alternate Configuration J
- The right arm carries a ProtoMech AC/8 with two tons of ammunition in the torso, while the left arm carries a trio of ER medium lasers. To get in and out quickly, this configuration uses an engine supercharger to sprint at speeds of up to 180 km/h when combined with the inbuilt MASC system. BV (2.0) = 2,022
- Alternate Configuration T
- This configuration uses a plasma cannon in the right arm and two improved heavy medium lasers in the left arm as its main firepower. These are supplemented by an SRM-6 and LRM-10 in the right torso and left torso. The plasma cannon has two tons of ammunition while the missile launchers each have one ton of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 2,040
From MechWarrior Online:
- BKL-BL Bellonarius
- The Black Lanner Hero 'Mech, the Bellonarius, carries a Streak SRM-4 in each side torso, supported by three machine guns in each arm, a heavy medium laser in the left torso, and a heavy small laser in the head. Two tons of Streak ammunition and four tons of machine gun reloads give the Bellonarius reasonable field endurance.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was translated to Feldeggsfalke.
Original Black Lanner from TRO:3058
Black Lanner from RG:ilClan v15
Black Lanner Prime in combat from CCG
Model of Black Lanner from MWO
Black Lanner miniature from BattleTech: Clan Support Star
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 42–43: "Black Lanner"
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 15, p. 13
- MUL online date for the Black Lanner
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 176-177, "Black Lanner"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 232
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 151
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 17 "Discarded Tools of War"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 233
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 152
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 234
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 153
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 235
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 154
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 236
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 155
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 237
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 92
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 156
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 238
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 93
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 157
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 158
- MechWarrior Online "Black Lanner Sale Page"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Design Quirk Table - Black Lanner entry.
- BattleMech Manual
- Master Unit List
- MechWarrior Online Black Lanner Sale Page
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 15
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental