- This article is about the Free Worlds League province. For the Blakist state during the Jihad, see Word of Blake Protectorate.
The Protectorate was a province of the Free Worlds League consisting of six worlds: Emris IV, Fuentes, McKenna, New Delos, Nova Roma and Sophie's World. Originally part of the Duchy of Oriente, these worlds were transferred to the control of Anton Marik, younger brother to Captain-General Janos Marik, in the final decade of the 30th Century. As a result The Protectorate, and New Delos in particular, served as Anton's primary stronghold during his failed rebellion of 3014-3015, and were placed under House Marik's direct control afterwards.
By 3067 The Protectorate had remained under military governance for half a century, and its Members of Parliament tended to vote against the Captain-General. 
The Protectorate remained in existence after the Free Worlds League's dissolution during the Word of Blake Jihad, but the rule of its military dictator General Natalia Simonov grew increasingly precarious. In 3081 Thomas Halas offered The Protectorate a mutual defense pact with the neighboring Duchy of Oriente, a treaty which was accepted. The ongoing conflicts between the League's successor states eventually led the renamed Oriente Protectorate to absorb The Protectorate's members (aside from Sophie's World) by the 3120s.   
- ↑ House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 62, "The Protectorate"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 84, "Parties and Voting Blocs"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 88, "Military Dictatorship"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62-63, "Inner Sphere - March 3081" Map
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 85
- ↑ Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130), p. 73 (pdf)
- ↑ Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 12, "Map of the Inner Sphere 3130"