3rd Lyran Guards
|Third Lyran Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
The Eversworded Third (3025)
|Parent Formation||Lyran Guards|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
Star League Era
During the Star League era the Third Lyran Guards were one of ten regiments within the First Lyran Guards Division, one of four Divisions of active regiments within the Lyran Guards brigade in the closing decades of the Star League's existence. Like the other regiments of the Lyran Guards, the Third's loyalty was technically to the Commonwealth first and the Archon second, but all of the regiments of the First Division had been used at one time or another to keep powerful nobles in line.
Like the other regiments of the Guards during this era, the Third lacked any particular political ties - either regional or familial - unlike regiments in other brigades; commonly assigned to garrison postings, the Third Lyran Guards and their sister regiments were postings of choice for those who wanted to work for the Commonwealth without either regional loyalties or particular ambitions. This led to the Third and her sister regiments being manned by soldiers who were professional, but without the close-knit ties found in more parochial regiments. The LCAF was intent on generating more camaraderie and esprit de corps among the Third and the other Guards regiments, but with little success by 2765. The LCAF High Command was less than impressed with the Third's efforts to "bolster relations" with a Canopian pleasure circus in the 2760s, and rewarded the command with a posting to the Black Rock continent on Orkney, a notably desolate posting, whilst a special medical team and the LIC evaluated the repercussions and consequences of the Third's relationship-building "encounter".
First Succession War
The commanding officers of the Third Lyran Guards are known to wear ancient broadswords to officer's mess. The tradition started, when Colonel Rekenzie Weber discovered such a sword on Alexandria during the First Succession War. Thus, the Third Lyran Guards were nicknamed "The Eversworded Third".
Second Succession War
Fourth Succession War
The Third invaded the planet Vega during the Fourth Succession War. Initially, the Guards all but crushed the resistance on-world and drove the defending Second and Fourteenth Legions of Vega from two of the world's three continents. However, when Theodore Kurita arrived in October 3028, the situation dramatically changed. Theodore managed to rally the Legions of Vega and launched an offensive that ultimately split the Guards in two. The Guards had to retreat from Vega or face annihilation by the superior numbers of the DCMS forces. The Beta company of the Guards' second battalion rearguarded the evacuation of the remaining Lyran forces. During the final wave of attacks launched as a part of Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG the Third attacked New Wessex.
During the Ronin War the Third Lyran Guards were assigned to assist the Free Rasalhague Republic troops who were fighting mercenary units on Kandis. Their assistance wasn't required however, as Theodore Kurita sent the Shin Legion to Kandis as a test. The Legions quickly routed the mercenary troops.
War of 3039
The Third was assigned to invade the planet of Vega once more alongside the 3rd Davion Guards, Cranston Snord's Irregulars, the 1st Grave Walkers, and the 17th Recon Regiment. The defending 14th Legion of Vega and the 5th Amphigean Light Assault Group were defeated on short order. The Third was redeployed to Port Moseby before the DCMS struck back.
In 3044 the Third Lyran Guards and 11th Donegal Guards landed on Alphecca, a world lost to the Draconis Combine in the Fourth Succession War. The two Lyran units were able to destroy the planet's militia and inflict heavy losses on the 12th Sun Zhang Academy Cadre.
FedCom Civil War
Shortly before the fighting, the Third received several Fafnir BattleMechs for evaluation. They used these against Clan Jade Falcon forces, but still took some damage. During the FedCom Civil War, the Third Lyran Guard tried to keep the peace between the 11th Donegal Guards and ComStar's 388th Division. At the end of the war they were reassigned to Crimond.
The Third participated in the liberation of Tharkad in January 3072. They dropped on-world and held open a landing zone for other Coalition forces. The Third Guards were one of the Lyran units to join Devlin Stone's Coalition. As part of Group IV of the Free Worlds League task force, the 3rd Lyran Guards attacked Talitha in May 3077 alongside Beta Galaxy of Clan Wolf-in-Exile and the Marlette Crucis March Militia. Acting with support from the Clan Nova Cat Aegis-class WarShip CNC Blade, Group IV quickly achieved total air superiority on Talitha, allowing the Guards and the other Group IV ground forces to quickly roll over the Blakist defenders in a swift campaign.
The first 18 months of Operation SCOUR were a bloody, brutal and demoralizing experience, and by the time the 3rd Lyran Guards and the other Group IV units had linked up with the bulk of the rest of the Free Worlds League task force on Pollux in June 3078 the Wolf's Beta Galaxy was the least damaged of the Group IV units... and yet could muster only a single Cluster, one third or less of its' initial strength.
The Third Guards participated in the assault on Terra. There they were assigned to General Connor Sortek's command. Fighting alongside the 17th Benjamin Regulars, the Third seized the Pacific Northwest, a part of the North American continent.
In 3079 the Third Guards were assigned to garrison Solaris and Rahne. In 3085 they had moved to Port Moseby. the LCAF High Command apparently thought that the Third Guards would be able to defend the Commonwealth without starting any conflicts. At that time they were only twenty percent below their nominal strength.
Sometime after 3132 the Third Lyran Guards had several elements on Port Moseby. These troops faced a company of the 2nd Legion of Vega, including several new Dragon II designs. The updated Zeus BattleMechs were more than adequate for the challenge, and the Kuritan forces withdrew. The Third Guards were also present on Hesperus II, where they engaged Clan foes.
During the reign of Archon Vedet Brewer, the Third Guards were ordered to retreat from the Clan Jade Falcon border. The Guards refused, instead defending Melissia. Their defense didn't go well, though, and the Falcons inflicted heavy losses on the Third and forcing them to withdraw. The Third fell back, moving to Chapultepec and then Kwangchowwang. The Clan offensives stalled around the time the Third reached Kwangchowwang, and the slowdown allowed the Third to rebuild. They were later redeployed to guard Adelaide and Mahone. After assuming this duty station, they used their armor and infantry forces to raid the warehouses on Melissia, depriving the Falcons of tons of equipment. The Third was split between Adelaide and Mahone in 3145.
|Commanding Officers of the 3rd Lyran Guards|
The Third Lyran Guards trained hard for four years to reclaim Tharkad from Word of Blake forces. A large part of that training dealt with combat drops, and so the Third Lyrans are very skilled in dropping into combat.
3rd Lyran Guards (Regular/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Third were stationed on Orkney.
3rd Lyran Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
3rd Lyran Guards RCT (Veteran/Fanatical)
3rd Lyran Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Veteran/Fanatical)
CO: Colonel Greg McKenna
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Pandelis Alexandrou
- 876th Lyran Tank Regiment: Colonel Elizabeth Ravn
- 881st Lyran Tank Regiment: Colonel Hester Kidness
- 19th Graceland Recon Regiment: Colonel Benedicte Rubel
3rd Lyran Guards Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Veteran/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Lisle Hayden
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Bernard Kahn
- 266th Pandora Mechanized Regiment: Colonel Boye Verlaine
- 608th Lyran Motorized Regiment: Colonel Purvis Gozra
- 31st Lyran Force Recon: Colonel Penny Harsant
- 18th Lyran Commando Regiment: Colonel Godfrey Ballard
- 62nd Lyran Jump Infantry Regiment:
Colonel Jurgen Esposito
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 12, "Lyran Guards"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p.57
- The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One, p. 26
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 44-45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 112
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 75, "3rd Lyran Guards Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 70
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 100
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 170, "3rd Lyran Guards"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 7
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 45-46, "Talitha, Berenson Capitulate"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 80, "Terra's Doorstep"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 12
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 101
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 109, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, p. 18
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 42
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 126
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 132, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Bucklands Theater"
- 20 Year Update, p. 19, "AFFC Deployment Table"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 7
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 45, "Overview: Alys Marik"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 7
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 121, "Unit Deployment Table - 3025"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137
- Objective Raids, p. 22, "AFFC Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Objective Raids
- The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One
- Historical: Brush Wars
- Field Report: LAAF
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Technical Readout: 3067
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth