5th Lyran Regulars
|Fifth Lyran Regulars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Ferris Wolverines|
|Parent Formation||Lyran Regulars|
- 1 Unit Description
- 2 History
- 2.1 Formation
- 2.2 The Succession Wars
- 2.3 Skye Crisis & formation of Free Rasalhague Republic
- 2.4 The War of 3039 and the 3040s
- 2.5 FedCom Break up and the Joining the Lyran Alliance
- 2.6 As SLDF Peacekeepers in St. Ives Compact
- 2.7 FedCom Civil War
- 2.8 Jihad
- 2.9 Reformation and Operation HAMMERFALL
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Composition History
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
The Fifth Lyran Regulars were a Lyran Commonwealth BattleMech regiment.
The Succession Wars
In early 2840, deserters from the shattered Fifth joined the mutinous Sixth Lyran Regulars under Colonel Hendrik Grimm as they made their way into the Periphery. Grimm's combined unit, subsequently misreported in at least one source as the Sixty-fifth Lyran Regulars, eventually settled Oberon VI and founded the Oberon Confederation.
Skye Crisis & formation of Free Rasalhague Republic
After the Fourth Succession War, the unit was stationed in the Skye Federation region. The Fifth Regulars, which had questionable loyalty to begin with, became influenced by the Free Skye secession movement in the early part of the 31stt Century.
In 3034, Skye's secession tensions broke out into open rebellion. The Regulars were among the units trying to put down the revolt, however trouble broke out when allied units from the Federated Suns arrived to assist in putting down the revolt. The Regulars, among other Lyran units in the region, opened fire on their allies and the revolt threatened to escalate into full-blown civil war. After Lyran leaders defused the crisis, the Regulars' personnel were scattered across the Lyran Commonwealth and the unit, now posted to the Sarna March, was restaffed with fanatically loyal soldiers.
The War of 3039 and the 3040s
In May 3039, the Draconis Combine's Ryuken-san landed on Procyon as part of Theodore Kurita's counter-invasion response to the War of 3039. A few weeks later the Regulars arrived to repulse the invasion. The Regulars were badly handled by the elite Ryuken-san, where they lost an entire BattleMech battalion to the Combine forces outside of the town of Kreigen. The Combine's commander, Tai-sa Kansa, had decided to invade because he was looking for a worthy fight. By the 24th of the month, the Combine forces withdrew from the planet when its sister unit, the Ryuken-ni, had arrived in system. 
FedCom Break up and the Joining the Lyran Alliance
During early 3050s, the unit had not been used in the Clan Invasion, remained its base in Sarna March. Where its 'Mech battalions were spread out between two worlds to garrison, Tall Trees and Saiph.
By 3057, the unit withdrew from the FedCom, for the newly formed Lyran Alliance. As the unit withdrew from the FedCom, it clashed with Davion Assault Guard RCT. Once reporting in with the Lyran High Command, the unit was assigned to the world of Freedom. The 3rd Battalion of the 5th Lyran Regulars had been on loan to the Capellan Confederation at this point, and the surviving elements of the 3rd Battalion were abandoned by the remainder of the RCT when it withdrew. Abandoned and left for dead, the Hauptmann in charge of one of the companies, Daniel Grover, would subsequently take his company and use it as the nucleus around which he built a new mercenary unit, the Broadstreet Bullies.
As SLDF Peacekeepers in St. Ives Compact
In 3060, the unit was assign work as a peacekeeper in St. Ives Compact under the part-partnership of the 2nd Star League's SLDF. The unit was assigned by First Lord Sun-Tzu Liao to Nashuar, where it was to keep Compact forces from getting in combat. The unit became entangled in hostilities with FedCom garrison force, the Compact affiliated, 7th Federated Commonwealth RCT. The FedCom unit had seen 5th as invasion force and part of problems that Commonwealth was suffering from since '57. Regulars were boxed into its landing zone, by the 7th FedCom and its allies, Nashuar Home Guard. Open hostilities did not breakout until January 3061, when Sun-Tzu Liao order Compact armed force to be placed under martial law. Having been hedged in its landing zone in the city of Grianet, Regulars decided to move out. The unit in a lightning move, passed through the city and out the nearby Salt River Canyon. The Regular's skirmishes with the 7th FedCom, battle were brutal. The private war with the Davion unit ended all-out battle in Khington Foot hills which left few survivors. The unit was ultimately withdrawn from planet in April 3061, back to Freedom to rebuild.
FedCom Civil War
As the Regulars approached the planet, they initially discovered that the 4th Davion Guards' fleet assets were still numerous, suggesting large force was on the ground. However, ignoring these telling signs, Colonel Castro landed her force. The Regular's recon flights to recon the Guards were shot down, and had sent messages they wish be left alone as they withdrew to their space in the FedCom.
Ignoring these messages, Colonel Castro order the Regulars into all-out offensive against the Guards. Conducting her combat operation on New Years Eve, what they believed as the Headquarters of the Guard's RCT with its two reinforced Battalions of 'Mechs, armor regiments and its Air Wing. However, they had struck the RCT's second headquarter battalion, began to notice RCT's overwhelming numbers, including regiment full of Armor Tanks. As attack continued, 2nd 'Mech Battalion with additional Armor regiment and supported by Battle Armor infantry arrived in their flank, it became clear that Regular's intelligence failed them yet again. Seeing no way to succeed, Castro orders Regulars to retreat. The Guard's RCT forces ravage retreating Regulars, specifically using their Doppelganger Company of Clan OmniMechs to great effect. Castro only managed to get Battalion of her 'Mech forces off planet. The 14th Freedom Reserve Aerospace Fighter Wing almost complete shot down by Guard's two Aerospace Wings.
After returning to Freedom in 3064, the unit came under attack from forces of the Free Skye Revolt. Two militia forces, the Accrington FTM and the Alexandria FTM, arrived on planet uncontested by the Regulars in July 3065. After the two militia forces landed on Freedom's continent of Republic, the Regulars assaulted the Accrington FTM's position. The Regulars wrought havoc against the green Militia's defenses destroying its armor and three of its infantry regiments. The Militia's BattleMech forces counter-attacked, managed to fend off the Regulars who retreated to the planetary capital of Jefferson City.
The Regulars fortified its position with Planetary Militia to defend the Freedom Theater's Command Center. However, instead of daring to assault the Regulars directly, the Free Skye rebels opted to starve out the Regulars and their target, Margrave James Ellis. As the Regulars stayed secured in Jefferson, the two Free Skye controlled Militias took de facto control of the planet. As the months passed, the siege on the city caused the Planetary Militia to abandon Jefferson City, leaving the Regulars to hold up its defenses.
The siege lasted up until February 3066, when Free Skye General Maria Esteban arrived to take command of the situation. The Margrave communicated with General Esteban for ceasefire; this tipped off the general that the Regulars were on the verge of folding due to starvation. The two Militias easily overran the 5th Regulars' positions and destroyed them.
One of the many Lyran units destroyed during the Word of Blake Jihad, despite having long shaken off it disloyalty to the Lyran throne, the 5th was not among the units reconstituted after that conflict concluded.
Reformation and Operation HAMMERFALL
The now renamed LCAF would ultimately reform the 5th Lyran Regulars at the urging of Archon Andrew Steiner in 3122. Despite the former unit's loyalty to Tharkad over Skye, Andrew reformed the unit primarily for its ties to the old Isle of Skye, intending it as provocative message to Devlin Stone and the Republic of the Sphere. Intensively distrustful of Stone and his Republic, Andrew ensured the new 5th was heavily staffed with Skye partisans who were all eager to reclaim the "stolen" Skye Province and return it to Lyran control. The reformed quickly attained a reputation as staunch defenders of the honor and pride of the Commonwealth and of Skye.
The 5th would take part in Operation HAMMERFALL, participating in the early stages of the invasion on Niihau and Millungera. On the latter world, the unit would come into conflict with Roderick Frost's Broken Swords battalion, the Fifth feeling unfairly blamed for the resulting brawl. This brawl and the Fifth's CO open disdain for "Stone-lover" Trillian Steiner resulted in the unit being relegated to garrison duty on Niihau and Millungera for the remainder of the invasion.
In 3145 the 5th Regulars lost four of six companies on Loxley, defending that world from Clan Jade Falcon forces. Despite their heavy losses, they were able to secure the world for the Commonwealth. The other six companies of the 5th were garrisoning Ellengurg, and unable to participate in the fighting on Loxley.
|Commanding Officers of Ferris Wolverines|
|Commanding Officers of the 3rd Lyran Regulars|
|Colonel||Gustav von Buren||3025|
She was a
|3050 to 3054|
Harper came from a long line of Skye loyalists, with his great-grandfather among the members of the 5th who resisted the FedSun troops in 3034.
By 3062, the regiment relies on its highly skilled Intelligence Department to allow it respond to enemy movement. However, its over reliance on the Intelligence section cause blindly lead to disaster.
5th Lyran Regulars (Regular/Questionable)ref name=HSp119/>
CO: Colonel Gustav von Buren
2786 - 2821
5th Lyran Regulars (Regiment/Regular/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the mediummedium-weight unit was stationed on Timbuktu. In 2821 the command was reduced to 53 percent of its strength and was deployed on Timbuktu. 
5th Lyran Regulars (Regiment/Regular/Questionable) 
- Note: At this point in time the assault-weight unit was stationed on Timbuktu with an operational readiness of 109 percent. The united defected during the war. 
5th Lyran Regulars (Regular/Reliable)
5th Lyran Regulars (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- CO: Leutnant General Jeanine Castro 
5th Lyran Regulars
CO: Leutnant General Jeannine Castro
- 1st Battalion (Regular/Reliable)
- 2nd Battalion (Veteran/Questionable)
- 3rd Battalion (Regular/Questionable)
5th Lyran Regulars (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
CO: Colonel Jeanine Castro
- Note: The Command Company consists of solely of OmniMechs, with Colonel Castro utilizing a Hauptmann Assault OmniMech.
-Note: Unit is former reserve unit, which now permanently active and attached to 5th Lyran Regulars.
5th Lyran Regulars
CO: General Stephen Harper
5th Lyran Regulars (Veteran/Fanatical)
CO: Leutnant General Roy Adams
11th Loxley Armor (Regular/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Andrew Reed
5th Lyran Infantry Brigade (Veteran/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Justin Collins
The unit's origins as mercenary does not stipulate when it was a mercenary unit, its also not clear if the unit's nickname from the House book is in fact is original name.
In the Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, the officer section notes that commanding officer Colonel Jeanine Castro had relieved Leftenant General Maurice Cobin in late 3054. However, in 20 Year Update, Leftenant General Jeannine Castro was listed as the unit's commanding officer as of 3050. It unclear and when Jeannine is same person or relative of Jeanine or is the same person.
When using Force Specific Rules for the original 5th Lyran Regulars, the unit receives the following abilities. Before game play begins, the controlling player will roll 2D6. On the result of 4-10, the the player receives no benefits. With the result of a 11 or 12, the unit receives a +2 to its Initiative through entire game. However, should player roll 2 or a 3, the unit will penalized -1 initiative and opposing player will get choose any maps if the scenario calls for random generated maps. The unit is equipped with B Rated equipment.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 88, "5th Lyran Regulars Unit Profile"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 77 Regiment Nicknames - Nickname of the Fifth eludes to its actual origin, but not when.
- Second Succession War, p. 50
- The Periphery, p. 143, "Oberon Confederation"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 44 - 5th Lyran Regulars noted as not being used in 4th Succession War.
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 63 Procyon - 5th Lyran Regulars' clash with the Ryuken-san.
- Objective Raids, p. 17 Sarna March/Terra Firma Operations Area - 5th Lyran Regulars garrison posts in 3054 noted.
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 26, "Broadstreet Bullies: Orange Crush"
- FedCom Civil War Sourcebook, p. 19-20 Nashuar - 5th Regulars' actions with 7th FedCom illustrated as precursor to the Civil War that was to come.
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 95 7th FedCom RCT - 7th FedCom in fluff shows to be the aggressor in private war on Nashuar and noted location for its massive battle.
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 88-89 Yed Posterior - 5th Lyran Regulars try to snap some glory in what they believe is a easy kill, but it not.
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 146, 163, 183 Freedom - 5th Regulars' fight against the Free Skye and its destruction. Deployment table shows the unit destroyed in Wave 6 of the Civil War.
- Field Manual: Update, p. 171 Lyran Regulars - Unit's destruction noted.
- Era Report: 3145, p. 58 "Factions - Lyran Commonwealth - Fifth Lyran Regulars"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 16
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 128
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119
- 20 Year Update, p. 19, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 17, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- 20 year Update, p. 19 Deployment Tables with the FedCom - Colonel Castro listed with unit as Lt. General in 3050.
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 132, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Coventry Province"
- ’’ First Succession War’’, p. 139
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 99
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 77 Regiment Nicknames - Nickname of the 5th eludes to its actual origin, but not when.
- 20 Year Update, p. 19 - FedCom Deployment Tables as of 305/Addicks PDZ - 5th Regular listed with similar name commanding officer.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 133 Rule Annex/Force Specific Rules/5th Lyran Regulars - 5th Regular's special positive and negative traits.
- Era Report: 3145, p. 164 "Playing the Dark Age Era - BattleTech Rules - Special Command Abilities - Lyran Commonwealth - Fifth Lyran Regulars"
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 3145
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- First Succession War
- Second Succession War
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth
- The Periphery