8th Donegal Guards
- Original BattleTech Pods In Grand Rapids Michigan Moving To New Dedicated Site
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Read more →
|Eighth Donegal Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Boston Regiment (2765)|
Mud Wrestlers (3145)
|Parent Formation||Donegal Guards|
In 2895, Archon Elizabeth Steiner send the Eighth Donegal to Skye, with Narhal's Raiders, and 12 armor and infantry regiments. The force assisted the Seventeenth Skye Rangers in their defense against House Kurita. The Eighth, along with other forces that were sent, fought a fierce, 13 month battle for the planet. The battle was a huge success for the Lyran forces, but use of a tactical nuclear weapon against a strategical important dam and many attrocities of the Lyran forces tarnished the victory.
The unit, while not involved in the nuking, was judged guilty of other atrocities during the Skye battle. As a result the officers of the unit aren't considered gentlemen, and forbidden to use braids on their uniforms.
War of 3039
Clan Invasion Era
Prior to the invasion of the Clans, the Eighth was station in Davion side of the Federated Commonwealth. In the Capellan March region as part of the Alcyone Command on the world of Monhegan in 3050.
FedCom Civil War
Battle of Kathil
After Victor Steiner-Davion put call to arms, the Loyalist leaning 8th Donegal Guards was preparing to assist fellow loyalist units on Alcyone. However, they received orders from the Archon-Princess to reinforce the battered & near-depleted Eighth Federated Commonwealth RCT on Kathil. On February 3063, the 8th Donegal, backed up by two free Aerospace Wings and free armored brigade from Gallitzin. However, not all of the Aerospace Wing assets had arrive, were unable to firmly secure aerospace superiority over the against the Kathil CMM & First Capellan Dragoons. The Eight's Aerospace forces fought a aerospace battle against General Sampreis's aerospace assets. They managed to successful in landing his forces three separate locations on planet. After its landing, the 8th Donegal fight its way to the planetary capital of District City. The attack was to help the 8th to link up with the battered 8th FedCom at the city.
The Eighth Donegal combined with the Eighth FedCom to push back the Allied forces through District City to secure a secondary GM Plant in nearby city of Radcliffe. The Kathil CMM counter-attacked by hitting loyalist's holdings, causing the 8th Donegal's attack to lessen. Unfortunately, the raids slowed the 8th Donegal's efforts enough for allies’ Sixth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT land on 18th to reinforce the allied units. Four days later, Marshal Nathaniel Hasek arrived quietly, taking command of ally’s efforts on planet.
On the 2nd March, the 8th Donegal and its ally vacated its positions they had gained in District City and GM Plant to go on the offensive against CMM. However, the Mud Wrestlers as 8th is sometimes is known by began to be bogged down by winter weather hitting the southern hemisphere of Kathil. The allies began pound on the 8th FedCom ally to the north, while Guard units were stuck in fowl weather. It was not until May the Eighth was able to organized strikes against Marshal Hasek's task-force, hitting the Kathil CMM yet again in District City. With coordination of the 8th FedCom, the unit conducted a three week campaign against the CMM, where they shattered militia unit. Despite efforts of Marshal Hasek taking vital a aerospace base and nearby city. Situation changed when allied force in the form of the Fifth Davion Guards RCT in late July.
The 8th Donegal in January 3064 attempted to conduct a flank rear-flanking on continent of Furillo. However, they were stopped by the actions 1st Capellans. The unit was split in two by the attack and became isolated in Woodbine city region. General Pashik, instructed his forces to destroy series of dams that stopped the 1st Caps from taking further actions on them in February.
In late March, the 8th FedCom's Commander, General Weintraub, was killed in action. However, his final orders sealed fate of the 1st Capellan Dragoons. General order remaining troops to converge on his position attack 1st Capellans, despite his headquarters were overwhelmed by 5th Davion Guards, leaving 8th Donegal's commander leading loyalist officer on planet.
In July 3064, loyalist reinforcements arrived in the form of the Second Chisholm's Raiders, backed up by a naval squadron of assault DropShips. Despite Allied naval blockade consisting of two Avalon Cruisers, Hanse Davion and Andrew Davion, a large portion of loyalist unit made planetfall to assist General Pashik's dire situation. The arrival of the Raiders changed situation for the Loyalist forces. They immediately assaulted the GM Plant near District City after their landing, then later worked retake the city itself from the allies. Drawing enemy forces away from Woodbine, the 8th Donegal broke out allies defensive lines attempt to link up with the General Helen Eisener and her RCT in District City. Marshal Hasek, forced into action moved secure cities of Carter City and Burlington. By September, the Eighth Donegal managed to linkup with the 2nd Chishom. This is after they devastating Marshal Hasek's forces in city of Greenhaven with artillery and missile bombardment. With destruction of allied forces in Greenhaven, the two loyalist forces retired from the field to District City.
January 2nd, 3065, combined-arms brigade of the 8th Donegal slammed into the Fifth Davion Guard's string of artillery firebases. Over course of week, brigade consisting of newly built 'Mechs and tanks of scattered the Fifth Davion from the bases. Combined with the Second Chishom's Raiders, the Eighth drilled into a single brigade of the Fifth Davion. Combined loyalist force pushed them from Tormad Valley and it firebase. General Pashik then had his forces form defensive line around new string of fire bases his forces had seized. All forces exhausted, three week seize fire was established.
On the 8th of March, proved to be the turning point for the Eighth. As the allied reinforcement arrived in the form of First Federated Suns Armored Cavalry RCT arrived in orbit, dropped on Eighth Donegal's rear lines. This lead to allied units, striking the weaken RCT's frontlines at the same time. The 8th Donegal folded in at end of May, with prior to capture it commanding officer.
The 8th FedCom was absorbed by the 8th Donegal sometimes during the conflict on Kathil.
As of 1st August 3067, the eighth was on Kathil and down to 15% strength.
The Eighth Donegal Guards, find themselves facing three different Capellan Confederation regiments part of a Operation: Thunderstrike's Task Force Shen Lung in May of 3069. The overwhelm by the massive military power and still reeling from the damage done from the FedCom Civil War, the unit was believed destroyed.
However, it was able to rebuild, and managed to be enough of a nuisance that the Blakists that attacked Kathil later nuked the whole unit. The unit was completely destroyed along with the world.
They were re-formed in 3137 and posted to guard Hesperus II. They received a boost from the disbandment of the Seventh Donegal Guards after that unit was heavily damaged in fighting on Tharkad. These new troops swelled the Eighth and provided more tactical experience. In 3145 they were stationed on Caledonia and launched raids against systems held by the Wolf Empire and Clan Jade Falcon. These raids served a defensive purpose: By raiding the Clan worlds and forcing them to respond to the raids, the Clan forces couldn't attack Hesperus II.
|Commanding Officers of the 8th Donegal Guards|
|Tadeusz Pashik, a native of Wei.||3062 to 3067|
The heavy elements stand in the front of the enemy and hold them in place for the surrounding with the lighter more mobile machines for flanking/rear attacks.
8th Donegal Guards (Regular/Reliable)
8th Donegal Guards (Veteran/Reliable)
8th Donegal Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
8th Donegal Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
CO: Marshal Isador Bertini
8th Donegal Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant General Hubert Beazly
Aide: Kommandant Annabelle Laclos
- 367th Donegal Armored Cavalry Regiment: Leutnant General Giavani Allen
- 42nd Donegal Heavy Armor Regiment: Leutnant General Chapman Mustafa
- 47th Loxley Light Tank: Leutnant General Corinne Paquin
8th Donegal Guards Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
CO: Leutnant Generall Charles Gruber
Aide: Kommandant Ramesh Chandra
- 17th Moneghan Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General Ilras Miah
- 194th Donegal Heavy Infantry Regiment: Leutnant General David Hill
- 22nd Lyndon Motorized Regiment: Leutnant General Dai Mansaray
- 331st Donegal Mechanized Rifles: Leutnant General Julianne Ruddle
- 311th Donegal Jump Regiment: Leutnant General Moksod Samtani
- The 311th includes two Platoons of Fenrir battle armor)
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 11, "Donegal Guards" - Regimental Status
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 69, "The Battle for Skye (2895)" - 8th Donegal send in to help with defense of Skye.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 69, "8th Donegal Guards Unit Profile"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 116, "Deployment Table - 3025"
- 20 Year Update, p. 21, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 56, "8th Donegal assaults Kathil to assist the beleaguered 8th FedCom RCT for the Loyalists".
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 56-57, "8th Donegal Guards enter battle take Kathil".
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 124, "Last chapter of 8th Donegal's fight on Kathil".
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 169, "Donegal Guards"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 20, "Operation Thunderstrike, Fourth Wave, 8th Donegal Guards are wiped out by Capellan forces".
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 98
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 11
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 100
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 127
- Objective Raids, p. 14, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 109, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 133, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Donegal Province"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137