|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Geometric 530 Hard Core|
|Armor||CarbonStrand 30 Weight AS|
|Communications System||GRPNTR Groundpainter 5|
|Targeting Tracking System||Scope 30 RNDST|
|Heat Sinks||15 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Geotec 300|
Introduced in 2735, the Crockett was originally designed and built for the Star League as a training BattleMech with combat capability in response to needs during the Hidden Wars. Ten years after its introduction, however, Star League Defense Force commanders began to realize that Blankenburg Technologies had taken the "combat capability" requirement almost too seriously, and began to field the 'Mech on the front lines. Beyond its heavy weapons load-out, large number of heat sinks and use of jump jets, part of what made the Crockett successful was the enemy's unfamiliarity with this design, giving it an added advantage. Its cockpit systems, simplified for use as a trainer, allowed anyone to pilot the Crockett with only a minimal amount of familiarization training. The Crockett did not go without its growing pains, however. Once it was pressed into combat there was a flaw found in the cockpit's life support system that resulted in the death of three MechWarriors. This flaw was corrected in future production, with previously-issued machines recalled and refitted with the life support system upgrade. In service to the SLDF the hallmark tactic of the Crockett was to engage an enemy 'Mech at range and, before the enemy could accurately target it, jump behind them to attack their weaker rear.
So effective was the Crockett that, following the dissolution of the Star League and start of the Succession Wars, many of the Great Houses removed the 'Mech from their training programs and used them to fight on the front lines. As many of the Crockett's components became lostech Blankenburg was forced to make due with inferior spare parts, reducing its capabilities with every year. Eventually the last few Crocketts were little more than a collection of salvaged parts, largely unrecognizable from their original design, until the 'Mech finally went extinct within the Inner Sphere.
This changed starting in the thirty-first century, thanks to ComStar's secret stockpile of Star League-era 'Mechs. Original models of the Crockett were used to outfit the Com Guards while downgraded versions were gifted to the Draconis Combine as part of Operation Rosebud. With the Clan Invasion surviving models of the design were also seen among second-line Clan forces. As part of Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht's rearmament program the Blankenberg production line on Terra was reopened to start producing new Crocketts starting in 3054, although it would be only a few years until the Word of Blake conquered the planet and began supplying themselves and their Free Worlds League allies. In order to maintain their supply ComStar contracted Grumium Creations to begin producing Crocketts starting in 3062 and the 'Mech fought on both sides during the Jihad.
Weapons and Equipment
Due to the fact that the Crockett was originally a training 'Mech, it carries a variety of weapons. The primary weapon is a Blankenburg LB-X Autocannon/10 that can use either standard High Explosive Armor Penetrating (HEAP) ammunition or a shotgun-like cluster round. It is fed by three tons of reloads, two in the right torso and one in the left. The autocannon is backed up by two Blankenburg 25 Extended Range Large Lasers in either arm for long range combat. When the Crockett closes with its enemies, it can bring into play its twin Holly-6 SRM-6 launchers, mounted in either side torso with two tons of reloads in the right, and two Dodd Small Lasers mounted in either arm. The Holly launchers were chosen in particular for their reliability, especially when the 'Mech lands after jumping through the air; less-proven launchers were shown to have one or more missiles knocked out of alignment after just a single jump.
All of the heat from its weapons is offset by the use of fifteen double heat sinks. In addition, the highly-advanced Scope 30 RNDST targeting-tracking system gave the large lasers superior range to any other laser system at the time of its introduction. The Crockett is also very well-protected thanks to sixteen and a half tons of armor. Finally it carries three jump jets, one in either leg and the rear torso, giving it a range of 90 meters.
- The 5003-0 Crockett is a downgraded version of the 'Mech first spotted in 2881. The 'Mech retains the same overall feel of the 5003-1 but uses only technology available to the Great Houses during the Succession Wars. The ER Large Lasers have been replaced with Magna Mark III Large Lasers models and the LB-X autocannon has been downgraded to a standard Blakenberg AC/10. In addition, the double heat sinks that made the 'Mech capable of a very high rate of fire have been downgraded to single versions that can only dissipate half as much heat as those carried by the 5003-1 Crockett. Its electronics were also replaced with a GRPNTR Groundpainter 5 communications system Scope 30 RNDST targeting-tracking system. BV (1.0) = 1,325, BV (2.0)= 1,704
- This SLDF Royal variant introduced in 2752 replaces the LB 10-X autocannon and SRM launchers with a suite of Medium Lasers and Medium Pulse Lasers. Each arm mounts an ER Large Laser with a medium laser and MPL mounted alongside. The head and center torso each mount a MPL as well. For long range firepower, a Gauss Rifle with two tons of ammo is mounted in the left torso. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 2,307
- An upgrade of the 5003-3 introduced in 3063, the 5004-1 makes use of a C3i Computer to enable the Crockett to share targeting data with other members of its Level II. In order to free up room, a ton of autocannon ammunition has been removed and the missile launchers have been downgraded to SRM-4s. The remaining half-ton went to the addition of armor. Finally, all the lasers have been upgraded to extended range models. BV (2.0) = 1,955 Note that this variant designation is the one given in the record sheet, but the technical readout refers to it as the 5004-1.
- This model produced by Word of Blake in 3070 uses a Light Engine for power so that it can add improved jump jets that enable it to jump up to 150 meters. The small lasers of the 5004-1 have been removed and it utilizes a small cockpit, cementing its role as a front line unit rather than a training 'Mech. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,930
- Katana - Several downgraded Crocketts were given to the Draconis Combine in preparation for the War of 3039 as part of Operation Rosebud. These 'Mechs were re-christened the Katana by the DCMS but they do retain the CRK-5003-XX model designations. Several variants have been created using the Katana name.
- Black Watch - The chassis of the successful, reliable Crockett was used as the basis for the Black Watch BattleMech.
- MUL online entry for Crockett
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 219
- Technical Readout: 2750, p. 50-51
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 108-109
- Technical Readout: 3039, p.238
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 180
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 48
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 82
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 120
- Combat Operations
- Master Unit List
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike