Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)
|Manufacturer||Foster MechWorks Facility Beta
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Hellion Light Endo Steel V3|
|Armor||Compound Beta Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Warrior 240 XL|
|Communications System||HCFA 3001 5.7|
|Targeting Tracking System||HCFA 3005 4.3|
|Heat Sinks||10 double|
|Jump Jets||Foster Ocelot Mrk. VIII|
The Arctic Cheetah was originally designed by Clan Ice Hellion to replace the Mist Lynx OmniMech. Shortly after they began production in 3037, Clan Smoke Jaguar conquered the factory on Foster that produced the design, enabling the Jaguars to replace their Mist Lynx 'Mechs. The design was first encountered by Draconis Combine forces during the Battle of Luthien, leading Inner Sphere analysts to initially speculate that the Arctic Cheetah was a Clan Smoke Jaguar creation, and was given the reporting name Hankyu (Short Bow, in japanese), for its long range missile weaponry.  The Ice Hellions subsequently recovered or recaptured Foster MechWorks Facility Beta, but by that point, the majority of the Ice Hellion MechWarriors preferred the Hellion OmniMech.
While proving to be at least equally capable as, if not better than, the Mist Lynx, the Arctic Cheetah did not initially see use in other Clans. Clan Diamond Shark did adopt the design, ensuring that it would outlast its creators, and at least one Arctic Cheetah was used by a Clan Wolf-in-Exile MechWarrior. Clan Nova Cat also produced the Arctic Cheetah at the Mualang Alpha facility on Coudoux before that Clan's annihilation. Afterwards Clan Sea Fox aided the Combine in operating the facility in exchange for some of its output.
As a result, the Arctic Cheetah had been used by three absorbed or annihilated Clans by the mid-thirty-second century, and had seen combat on battlefields as far apart as Marik in 3137 and on Irece in 3142, where ironically it was used by DCMS forces against Clan Nova Cat.
The Arctic Cheetah uses all the weight-saving materials that were available to the Clans in the 3030s: an endo steel structure, an XL engine, and four tons of ferro-fibrous armor. It maintains enough jump jets in the base chassis to leap up to 180 meters at a time.
Weapons and Equipment
Every variant of the Arctic Cheetah mounts a modular flamer somewhere on the 'Mech as an anti-infantry weapon. The most common configuration to Clan Smoke Jaguar and Clan Nova Cat uses a pair of LRM-5s and ER medium lasers, which enable it to provide long range fire support in light formations, as well as defend itself if an enemy closes. The Primary configuration is a very capable scout as well, due to the active probe, ECM suite, and TAG that it carries.
- Alternate Configuration E
- Designed for anti-infantry work, this configuration carries two Machine Gun Arrays populated with three light machine guns each as its primary weaponry. These are backed up by a single flamer, and battle armor troops are threatened by the twin B-Pods mounted on the torso. For harder targets, it carries two medium pulse lasers. BV (2.0) = 1,084
- Alternate Configuration H
- This configuration uses a heavy medium laser a pair of heavy small lasers, and a flamer for short-range firepower. For long range, it has an ER large laser. Three additional double heat sinks keep heat levels in check. BV (1.0) = 1,148; BV (2.0) = 1,264
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- ACH-SH Shard
- A customized variant of the Arctic Cheetah piloted by Eva Hordwon, the Shard carries two ER medium lasers in each arm, supported by twin heavy machine guns in the right torso and a left torso-mounted Streak SRM-4. A single ton of Streak missiles and a ton and a half of HMG ammo give the Shard good endurance.
- Hankyu is Japanese for "short bow".
Original appearance of the Hankyu from Invading Clans
Original Arctic Cheetah from TRO:3058
Arctic Cheetah from RG:iClan v21
Arctic Cheetah Prime in battle from CCG
Model of Arctic Cheetah from MWO
Arctic Cheetah miniature from BattleTech: Clan Support Star
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 16–17: "Hankyu"
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 21, p. 12
- MUL online date for Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 164-165, "Hankyu Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 151
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 105
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 160–161: "Hankyu"
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, p. 12: "Fire Falcon"
- Invading Clans, p. 76
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 152
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 106
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 153
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 107
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 154
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 109
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 82
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 156
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 43
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 111
- MechWarrior Online - "Clan Heroes II Sale Page"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 92: BattleMech Quirk Table - Hankyu Entry.
- Master Unit List
- MechWarrior Online Clan Heroes II Sale Page
- Invading Clans
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 21
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion