2nd Donegal Guards
|2nd Donegal Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||The Unwearied Second|
|Parent Formation||Donegal Guards|
Dating back to the Terran Alliance, the Second Donegal Guards were originally the 11th Terran Rangers. Following the collapse of the Alliance, the 11th Rangers became mercenaries, contracting with the various worlds in the area that would become the Protectorate of Donegal for protection. When Seth Marsden formed his Protectorate, he offered the 11th Rangers, who had been serving as some of the finest mercenaries in the region for almost a century, a place in their nascent military. They accepted, becoming the 2nd Donegal Guard. Having served the Lyran Commonwealth for almost a millennium, the Guard have fought in every major conflict in Commonwealth history save the Clan invasion.
The 2nd Donegal conducted the first offensive operation of the War of 3039 when they were tasked to take the world of Kessel alongside the 4th Skye Rangers and 11th Lyran Regulars, defeating the 2nd Sword of Light, as well as the 5th Sun Zhang Cadre and 12th Sun Zhang Cadre. During Operation Bulldog, they made history as the first Lyran regiment ever to be welcomed on to Luthien, and the first to land at all in almost three centuries. Only seeing mop-up action in Bulldog, the 2nd was nonetheless active in the FedCom Civil War, taking part in the brutal fighting on Giausar before General Caesar Steiner called upon them to end the Skye Revolt on Hesperus II.
Heavily involved in the Skye-Bolan Offensive against the Free Worlds League, having been lead to believe them responsible for the assassination of their commander in 3068, the 2nd Donegal pulled back in the face of the Marik counter-offensive and focused on keeping the border secure. Having absorbed the remnants of the 3rd Donegal Guards following the liberation of Donegal, the 2nd made it through the Jihad cohesive enough to stage attacks in to the Blakist Hegemony. At the end of the Jihad they found themselves rotated to the Clan front, garrisoning A Place. One of the central pieces of the defense against Clan Jade Falcon, they found themselves faced with troops looking to keep an edge against worthy opponents, and found themselves fighting trials of possession over alcohol and contraband while rebuilding.
Possibly it's most famous commander, Colonel Caesar Steiner lead the unit as of 3025. He commanded the unit through the 4th Succession War. The 20 Year Update names Leutnant-General Delmar Voss commander of the 2nd, a post he held until he was killed in action on Giausar. Shortly thereafter, Caesar Steiner, now a General, took direct command of the unit once more late in the Civil War. By 3085, Leutnant-General Violet Gates had taken command of the Unwearied Second.
The 2nd Donegal Guard possess a reputation for unorthodox, yet effective, tactics. They prefer high-speed combat over the usual Lyran "mountain of metal" tactics, as well as their heavy use of aerospace assets.
 Composition History
2nd Donegal Guards (Veteran/Reliable) Pollux
- CO.: Colonel Caesar Steiner
2nd Donegal Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO.: Leutnant-General Caesar Steiner
2nd Donegal Guards RCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Delmar Voss
- CO: Leutnant-General Delmar Voss
- Aide: Colonel Ellwood Goulding
- CO: Kaptain: Grayson Pakes
- 4th Donegal Wing
- 112th Donegal Wing
2nd Donegal Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Lionel McGruder
- Aide: Leutnant-Colonel Evelyn Basil
- 19th Donegal Light Tank - Colonel: Narayan Iyer
- 13th Donegal Armored Cavalry Regiment: Colonel Denise McGreggor
- 4th Arcadia Panzer Regiment: Colonel Leonard Ward
2nd Donegal Guards Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Nick Lucas
- Aide: Leutnant-Colonel Pitr Sarpong
- 9th Donegal Heavy Infantry Regiment: Colonel Patrick Tregana
- 21st Donegal Infantry Regiment: Colonel Grimnan Sloane
- 26th Light Infantry Regiment: Colonel Leslie Conway
- 92nd Mounted Rifles: Colonel Ashim Roy
- 109th Jump Infantry Regiment: Colonel May Zoega
- CO: Leutnant-General Viktor Bedolodia
60% strength | 95% upgraded
- CO: Leutnant-General Violet Gates
65% strength | 95% upgraded
2nd Donegal Aerospace
- CO: Kaptain Pramoda Tiraboschi (Green/Reliable)
75% strength | 100% upgraded
2nd Donegal Armor Brigade
- CO: Colonel Elio Schuttman (Regular/Reliable)
50% strength | 94% upgraded
2nd Donegal Infantry Brigade)
- CO: Colonel Dariusz Nicolescu (Green/Fanatical)
The unit carried the unofficial nickname "Caesar’s Legion" while under the command of Caesar Steiner.
Often, members of the Steiner family not closely in line for the Archonship serve in this unit. The unit's logo, a Steiner fist holding a golden crown, represents this.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 63, "2nd Donegal Guards Unit Profile"
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Field Manual: Updates, p. 169, "Donegal Guards bio"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Field Report: LAAF, p. 11
- ↑ House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119, "Deployment Table"
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- ↑ Objective Raids, p. 19, "Lyran State Command Deployment"