- This article is about the Capellan Confederation BattleMech. For the Essex-class destroyer, see Raven (Vessel).
|Manufacturer||Hellespont 'Mech Works|
|Chassis||Hellespont Type R|
|Armor||Hellespont Lite Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Hermes 210 XL|
|Communications System||Ceres Metals Model 666 w/Guardian ECM Suit|
The Raven is a light electronic warfare BattleMech which, when it first debuted following the end of the Third Succession War, represented humanity's refusal to slide back technologically by being among the first truly original 'Mech designs produced in centuries. This technological marvel was an attempt by the Capellan Confederation to recreate the sophisticated technology once common during the Star League era. While the resulting electronic warfare device was a technical success, it proved too large and bulky to be installed on any existing 'Mechs. Desperate for any force multiplier, the Capellans decided build an entirely new 'Mech around the electronics, creating the first prototype Ravens.
These experimental Ravens were designed as stand-off support units for 'Mech companies, designating targets for artillery and scrambling enemy sensors, but in most cases they were assigned at the battalion level as a temporary fifth member of the command lance. When it finally saw battle the Raven did not meet its lofty expectations; it simply could not provide a sufficient advantage to influence combat. Many were captured by the Federated Suns during the Fourth Succession War, and the design would languish as just another light 'Mech until the recovery of the Helm Memory Core allowed Hellespont to create a production version, the RVN-3L, equal to the prototype's ambitiousness.
The Raven's job is first and foremost to provide electronic warfare and countermeasure support to other units; any mission in which the 'Mech is forced into a combat role is seen as a failure. It sports the most advanced electronic warfare equipment in the Inner Sphere with its introduction, all produced by Apple Churchill: a Guardian ECM blankets friendly units with electronic jamming, while the combination of Beagle Probe, Target Acquisition Gear and Narc Missile Beacon locates hidden units and calls down accurate artillery fire. A Hermes 210 XL Engine, four and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and CASE storage system saves on weight, provides good armoring and a respectable maximum speed of 97.2 km/h and allows the 'Mech to survive combat encounters until reinforcements can arrive.
While heavily associated with House Liao, the Capellans were also forced to sell a number to the Free Worlds League and Draconis Combine, the larger share going to the former. The Federated Suns and Lyran Alliance have acquired smaller numbers of Ravens through other means including salvage, and a large number of variants exist.
The Raven carries a small weapons array that is nevertheless respectable for its size. The primary weapons on board the Raven are a pair of Ceres Arms Medium Lasers. These are backed up by a Harpoon-6 SRM-6 to finish off any enemy units that it does engage. Generally, the Raven is kept out of direct firefights though, as it is more valuable as a recon or electronics warfare asset than as a front line combat 'Mech.
- RVN-1X - The original prototype of what became the RVN-3L Raven, this is the unit that was pressed into service against the Federated Suns during the Fourth Succession Wars. With XL engine technology not yet available, the 'Mech mounts a standard Omni 175 fusion engine, giving it a maximum speed of 86 km/h, and is protected by four tons of standard armor. The EW Equipment at the time that this 'Mech was built consisted of a massive 7.5 ton experimental electronic warfare suite that unfortunately did not live up to expectations. The equipment also had the unfortunate side-effect, when damaged, of disrupting other systems, though normally communications and targeting only. BV (1.0) = 674, BV (2.0) = 589
- RVN-1XL DC - This variant of the -1X version was used as an arena fighter in the Solaris Games. Two heat sinks were removed to allow for the installation of a Dual Cockpit and an additional ton of armor. The ECM 3025 is mounted in the left torso while two heat sinks are mounted in the center torso; together with the seven heat sinks installed in the engine this curiously leaves one heat sink unaccounted for although plenty of free critical slots are available. (The canonicity of this design is questionable, as it was only published in the German edition of the Solaris VII Boxed Set.) BV (1.0) = 1.157, BV (2.0) = ??
- RVN-2X - Many of the Ravens captured by the Federated Suns in the Fourth Succession War were refitted to the 2X standard. It replaces the EW equipment with a Large Laser and adds an additional two and a half tons of armor. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 887
- RVN-3X - The RVN-3X uses, despite its sabotaged nature, the original Triple Strength Myomer, whose plans were captured in the Fourth Succession War on Bethel by Warrior House Imarra. Since the Raven is not intended for direct combat, the fact that it can catch on fire if subjected to the catalyst gas is outweighed by the additional speed. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 640
- RVN-3X Raven X - This version uses experimental systems to increase battlefield performance. The standard skeleton is traded for a Composite Internal Structure and the electronic systems are replaced with a Bloodhound Active Probe, Angel ECM Suite, and an Apollo FCS for the MRM-20 system that replaces the SRM launcher. The remaining weaponry has been replaced by a Laser AMS and two Medium X-Pulse Lasers. An XL Gyro provides weight savings for this equipment. BV (2.0) = 1,050
- RVN-4L - This early 3060s variant of the Raven incorporates the Confederation's new Stealth Armor. The 'Mech carries six tons of Stealth Armor and also uses ten double heat sinks for greater heat dissipation capabilities. The 'Mech is armed with two ER Medium Lasers and an SRM-6, and also carries the complete electronic warfare package carried by the 3L model. BV (1.0) = 667, BV (2.0) = 873
- RVN-4Lr - This variant removes the Narc and SRM, replacing them with an MML-7 equipped with Artemis IV guidance. The Capellans added a third medium laser, making this variant of the Raven an effective scout hunter. It can set easy ambushes because its Stealth Armor gives it an advantage against scouts.  BV (2.0) = 989
- RVN-4LC - This variant allows the Raven to integrate with a C3 network by removing the 4L's active probe. It is replaced by a C3 Slave Unit and an ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 884
- RVN-4X - A Capellan variant of the original prototype, the -4X was an attempt to turn the chassis into a pure combat unit. It removes the EW equipment and is outfitted with five jump jets and two Machine Guns with a ton of ammunition. The armor was increased to the chassis' limit of seven tons. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 820
- RVN-SR - This variant is a field upgrade made by Capellan March forces who captured many Ravens during Operation Sovereign Justice. This modification of the -3L replaces the lasers and TAG with four Machine Guns linked to a Machine Gun Array to protect it from the infantry assaults that resulted in the capture of the 'Mechs to begin with. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 601
- RVN-SS - Another modification of the -3L by Capellan March troops, the -SS removes the NARC and missile launcher. This makes room for an additional pair of Medium Lasers, a Small Laser, a Streak SRM-6, and an additional heat sink. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 904
- RVN-4N - Appeared with MechWarrior: Age of Destruction figures.
- RVN-4R - Appeared with MechWarrior: Age of Destruction figures.
 Related OmniMechs
- Men Shen - Impressed by the Raven BattleMech, and eager to promote the Xin Sheng spirit of Capellan nationalism, the Capellan Confederation increased the weight by 20 tons and redesigned the chassis to be Omni-capable. The result is the Men Shen OmniMech.
 'Mec Gallery
- ↑ MUL online date for the Raven
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 31
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3039, p. 222
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 224
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050, p. 78
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 88
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 89
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 90
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Liao, p. 3
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p.30
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 143
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 66
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 91
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3060, p. 102
- Experimental Technical Readout: Liao
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- House Liao Sourcebook
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets Volume 1: Light Mechs
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060
- Technical Readout: 3085