Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Whell neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-30.51 : 264.91[e]|
|Star names||Valdis (apocryphal)|
|Spectral class||K0 (apocryphal)|
|Recharge station(s)||Yes (Wheel station, zenith)|
|Planets||2, plus asteroid belt|
A rather detailed apocryphal description of the Wheel system was published in BattleTechnology #0201 (pp. 5-7) as part of that magazine's "Worldbook" series. According to this article, the system's actual name is Valdis, Catalog #NSC D 4-983-873. It is named "Wheel" after the massive recharge station and habitat at its zenith jump point (featuring a vast, wheel-shaped 460 meter diameter grav deck around its needle-shaped core) that also serves as administrative and government center for the system, and as a freeport. The station also houses the system's Class B HPG.
The system was settled no later than 2403, when a base was established on the large asteroid Rikerstrike, though independent asteroid miners may have been active in the system even before that. Rikerstrike has stores as well as port and recreation facilities at Rikerstown and Joyport.
The planet Valdis I ("Rock") features ore mining (especially titanium), a local administrative center named Port Red, and the Red Alpha and Red Beta storage facilities. It has a surface gravity of 0.988 g, but only a trace atmosphere of inert gases.
The inhospitable planet Valdis II ("Giant" or "Hard Place") features the Valdis II Orbital facility for gas and ice mining, water processing and hydrocarbon extraction.
The population given was 2,400, though that probably refers to Wheel station only.
- 2341 - No record 
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3028 - Lyran Commonwealth (from September)
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Free Rasalhague Republic 
- 3050 - Free Rasalhague Republic 
- 3052 - Clan Wolf 
- 3057 - Clan Wolf 
- 3063 - Clan Wolf 
- 3067 - Clan Wolf 
- 3075 - Clan Wolf 
- 3079 - Clan Wolf 
- 3081 - Clan Wolf 
- 3085 - Clan Wolf 
- 3130 - Clan Wolf 
- 3135 - Clan Wolf 
- 3145 - Clan Jade Falcon 
Fourth Succession War
In July 3028 an explosion in the capital city, Hub, resulted in the death of one of Chancellor Takashi Kurita's concubines. Although the explosion was actually the result of a bomb planted by the Tyr resistance movement, investigations pointed at the local garrison forces. When the investigators failed to identify a guilty party, Takashi Kurita was sufficiently angry that he had the entire garrison redeployed to Luthien so that the Internal Security Force director, Subhash Indrahar, could personally interrogate the soldiers until the truth was uncovered. With the militia infantry and armor regiments away undergoing investigation, the garrison of Wheel was reduced to ten militia infantry regiments populated by ageing grandparents and their grandchildren, six Sholagar aerospace fighters piloted by amateurs and a single mercenary command, the Tooth of Ymir, commanded by Colonel Davis Heller.
When the Fourth Succession War erupted in August 3028 the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces assigned the invasion of Wheel to Hansen's Roughriders and the First Narhal Raiders, two mercenary units commanded by Colonel Gerhardt Hansen and Leutnant-General William Matthews respectively, accompanied by a number of armor and infantry regiments. Aware of his predicament, Colonel Heller contacted the inbound task force and explained the situation, and requested that the battle for Wheel be conducted "with the old rules - 'Mechs against 'Mechs, warriors against warriors; let honor among professionals save the lives of the innocents."
Hansen and Matthews accepted the offer immediately, and instructed their supporting forces to stay in their drop zones; the two mercenary commands then fought against the Tooth of Ymir for three days in a region known locally as Red Desert Flats. By the time the Raiders and Roughriders had managed to surround the Tooth of Ymir, the Tooth had lost a battalion of 'Mechs; a swiftly-arranged ceasefire and conference ended with Colonel Heller's agreement to leave Wheel. Following the departure of the Tooth of Ymir the Lyran forces took control of Wheel.
In late December 3051 Wheel was invaded by Clan Wolf as part of the Fifth Wave of Operation REVIVAL. The Gurbeng Garrison Cluster confronted the First Wheel Mechanized Militia and the Free Wheelers, a corporate regiment composed of two light 'Mech companies, at Ryonna, Caderton and Vinckin. While both the militia and corporate formations were actually better trained than other similar garrison forces, they failed utterly to coordinate their actions, even when defending the same defensive line. This disorganization allowed the second-line Clan forces to defeat them easily and secure the planet for Clan Wolf.
- Caderton: site of a battle during the Clan Invasion.
- Hub: the planetary capital city.
- Red Desert Flats: this is the local name for a region formed from the floor of a dormant volcano on Wheel.
- Ryonna: site of a battle during the Clan Invasion.
- Vinckin: site of a battle during the Clan Invasion.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
- BattleTechnology #0103, pp. 5-7
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth at their founding in -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. vii, "Draconis Combine Map - "
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 48, "Wheel"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 27, "Clan Wolf/Clan Hell's Horses Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Clan Wolf Sourcebook, p. 67
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 135, "Unit Deployment Table"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 21, "Clan Wolf Deployment Status"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 126, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- BattleTechnology #0201 (pp. 5-7 "Worldbook: Wheel")
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1