Particle Projector Cannon
- New MechWarrior 5 Trailer, Pre-Orders Online Now
- MechCommander Gold - Darkest Hours Gets 4.0 Release
- Update On Beginner Box Set And BattleTech: Game Of Armored Combat
- Sarna Wishes You All A Happy Holidays!
- Mech_Con Roundup Day 2 - Harebrained Show, Catalyst Announcements, And A New MWOWC Champion!
- Read more →
BattleTech Community Ads:
|Type||Energy (Direct Fire)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere (IS)|
|Year Availability||2460 TH|
|Year Introduced||2460 TH|
|Technology Rating||(Choose One A - F)|
|Availability Rating||(Choose One A - F, X)|
|Availability Ratings||(Choose One A - F, X)/(Choose One A - F, X)/(Choose One A - F, X)|
|Legality Rating||(Choose One A - F)|
|Ammo Per Ton||N/A|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||N/A|
The Particle Projector Cannon (or PPC) is an energy weapon, firing a concentrated stream of protons or ions at a target, with damage resulting from both thermal and kinetic energy. Despite being an energy weapon, it produces recoil. The lethality of the weapon rivals that of higher-caliber autocannons; just three shots from a PPC will vaporize nearly two tons of standard military-grade armor. Targets hit by multiple, simultaneous PPCs can also suffer electrical side-effects, such as overloaded computer systems or targeting sensors. The ion beam also extends to much farther ranges than autocannon fire, though PPCs generate large amounts of waste heat.
PPCs are equipped with a Field Inhibitor to prevent feedback which could damage the firing unit's electronic systems. This inhibitor degrades the performance of the weapon at close ranges of less than 90 meters. Particularly daring warriors have been known to disengage the inhibitor and risk damage to their own machine when a target is at close range.
The PPC is manufactured on the following planets:
- TechManual p. 289
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- TechManual, p. 233, "Particle Projector Cannon (PPC)"
- TechManual p. 234
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, Burke combat vehicle
- TechManual p. 233