Particle Projector Cannon
- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Type||Energy (Direct Fire)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere (IS)|
|Year Availability||2460 TH|
|Year Introduced||2460 TH|
|Technology Rating||(Choose One A - F)|
|Availability Rating||(Choose One A - F, X)|
|Availability Ratings||(Choose One A - F, X)/(Choose One A - F, X)/(Choose One A - F, X)|
|Legality Rating||(Choose One A - F)|
|Ammo Per Ton||N/A|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||N/A|
The Particle Projector Cannon (or PPC) is an energy weapon, firing a concentrated stream of protons or ions at a target, with damage resulting from both thermal and kinetic energy. Despite being an energy weapon, it produces recoil. The lethality of the weapon rivals that of higher-caliber autocannons; just three shots from a PPC will vaporize nearly two tons of standard military-grade armor. Targets hit by multiple, simultaneous PPCs can also suffer electrical side-effects, such as overloaded computer systems or targeting sensors. The ion beam also extends to much farther ranges than autocannon fire, though PPCs generate large amounts of waste heat.
PPCs are equipped with a Field Inhibitor to prevent feedback which could damage the firing unit's electronic systems. This inhibitor degrades the performance of the weapon at close ranges of less than 90 meters. Particularly daring warriors have been known to disengage the inhibitor and risk damage to their own machine when a target is at close range.
The PPC is manufactured on the following planets:
The PPC has been used in various video games, each with their own stats for the weapon; below is a list of the games that use it along with a link to each version's stats:
- MechCommander 2
- MechWarrior 1
- MechWarrior 2
- MechWarrior 3
- MechWarrior 4 Vengeance
- MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
- MechWarrior Online
- MechAssault 1
- MechAssault 2
- MechWarrior Living Legends
- TechManual p. 289
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- TechManual, p. 233, "Particle Projector Cannon (PPC)"
- TechManual p. 234
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, Burke combat vehicle
- TechManual p. 233