5th Phalanx (Clan Ghost Bear)
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Read more →
|Fifth Phalanx Cluster|
|Affiliation||Clan Ghost Bear|
|Parent Command||Pi Galaxy|
The Fifth Phalanx Cluster was a primarily garrison unit for Clan Ghost Bear.
During the Ghost Bears fourth wave of Operation Revival, the Fifth Phalanx was assigned to the defense of Nyserta, taken during the Ghost Bears battles in the Periphery as they advanced towards the Inner Sphere. After the election of Ulric Kerensky as ilKhan and his authorization of Clan Diamond Shark's request to stage a Trial of Possession for a staging world for their Clan, the Sharks selected the 369th Striker Cluster to assault Nyserta.
Waiting at the designated battlefield on the Luman Plains for the 369th, both sides exchanged long-range fire for ten minutes before the Sharks began to get the upper hand, the Fifth's 'Mechs then melting into the wood around the plains' north edge. Expecting the Fifth to swiftly turn and fight, the 369th's CO Star Colonel Arlond sent his lighter 'Mechs and a Star of Elementals to pursue them, with their heavier units following as fast as possible behind. However, the Fifth maintained their running retreat for two days before finally turning and smashing through the 369th's light 'Mechs, the Sharks having been forced to stretch their ranks to keep up with them and drawing the pursuit force further and further from aid.
Flush with the success of this false-retreat tactic, the Fifth Phalanx now advanced at full speed towards the Shark's trailing heavy and assault 'Mechs, only to be forced back by the determined 369th. With the Fifth now swinging eastward in an attempt to flank the 369th, Star Colonel Arlond split off a heavy and assault Star from his forces and sent them south towards the woods at top speed in an attempt to outflank the advancing Fifth Phalanx. Despite now being outnumbered three to one, Arlond's remaining three stars held their ground in the face of bloody combat against the 5th, until the combined forces of the flanking Stars and the surviving light 'Mechs and Elementals of the pursuit force charged out of the woods and into the Fifth Phalanx's rear. Taken completely by surprise, the Fifth were defeated and the 369th claimed the world for Clan Diamond Shark. 
First Draconis Combine/Ghost Bear War
Pi Galaxy remained a defensive formation during the First Draconis Combine / Ghost Bear War, but took damage defending the worlds of Jezersko, Porthos and Thule from hostile raids. The Fifth was one of the Clusters that took damage during the war, and still hadn't rebuilt to full strength by 3067.
Although Pi Galaxy was a defensive formation, it was added to Alpha Wave during the Ghost Bear campaign against the Word of Blake in the Jihad. Alpha Wave was led by Alpha Galaxy and included Omega Galaxy as well as Pi; Pi acted in support of the other Galaxies and missed the campaign to liberate Kaus Borealis, but joined the second wave of attacks against Dyev.
After landing on Dyev during a wave of attacks against worlds in the Word of Blake Protectorate in July 3076, Pi Galaxy found itself facing a Blakist counteroffensive in December when a task force breached the blockade of Ghost Bear and Snow Raven ships in orbit and landed six Divisions of troops on the surface of Dyev. The Blakists landed around Trogport and the planetary capital, Novaya Mensk, before deploying outwards. Pi Galaxy fought alongside Kappa Galaxy against the 32nd Militia Division and the 2nd New Earth and 1st Zosma Protectorate Militia Divisions; the Blakists used the fortifications built in previous years by the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery to try and resist the Ghost Bear attack.
Pi Galaxy proved its mettle on Dyev, with the Fifth Phalanx proving particularly adept when dealing with the various fortifications on the planet. The Fifth proved successful enough that the Blakists finally launched attacks using Manei Domini specifically targeting the Fifth, leaving the Cluster decimated.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Phalanx (Clan Ghost Bear)|
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Phalanx (Ghost Bear Dominion)|
|Star Colonel||Aileen||3061 - 3067|
The 5th features a large number of Asshur artillery spotter VTOLs and Huitzilopochtli assault tanks, the massive and frighteningly accurate artillery bombardments the combination of these units are capable of is one few Clan or Inner Sphere opponents are prepared for. 
Fifth Phalanx (Regular/Reliable)
Fifth Phalanx (Regular/Reliable)
- - The Fifth was stationed on Porthos at this point in time and had rebuilt to almost two-thirds of full strength; seventy percent of the Fifth were equipped with Clan technology, with the remainder of the Cluster using Star League era designs. Fifteen percent of the Cluster were equipped with OmniMechs or equivalent technology.
- Invading Clans, p . 140 "The Nyserta Campaign"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 164 "The Warden Clans (Deployment sa of 17 January 3061 - Clan Ghost Bear - Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 61, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 78, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 10, "Pi Galaxy"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 18, "A Time Of Cleansing"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 98 "Clan Ghost Bear - Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 182, "Pi Galaxy"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 180, "Pi Galaxy"