- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Read more →
|Affiliation||Clan Jade Falcon|
Described as one of Clan Jade Falcon's "most unbalanced Crusaders" and commander of the Falcon's Claws Keshik, Star Colonel Nicolai Malthus (occasionally spelt as Nikolai Malthus)was a MechWarrior early in the Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere, piloting a Summoner. His 'Mech fell in battle on Somerset and was captured by FedCom troops.
Operation Revival Career
It was Nicolai Malthus who, as the local Clan commander, lost a Trial of Possession against Adam Steiner, leading to the (brief) re-capture of Somerset. While popular legend had it that Malthus, having bargained only for the planet, abducted the entire population to leave Steiner an empty world, in reality Somerset was never depopulated and was in fact largely ignored by the Jade Falcons after it was reclaimed from the FedCom.  Malthus' failures against Steiner, including losing enough equipment to vault the New Avalon Institute of Science's R&D efforts by decades, would cost him much prestige and effectively end his career as a frontline warrior.
An exaggerated version of Nicolai Malthus, though one many even within Clan Jade Falcon would admit was not too far from reality, was the main antagonist of Tharkad Broadcasting Corporation's The Somerset Strikers, a holodrama detailing the Clan Invasion era exploits of Adam Steiner.
Nicolai Malthus' major accomplishments during the invasion were conquering Somerset, Wotan, Romulus, and Twycross. On Romulus he encountered his nemesis Adam Steiner and the 1st Somerset Strikers. While his accomplishments were a success in the invasion, he became the first Star Colonel to lose several pieces of Clan technology, notably Elemental Armor, to the Inner Sphere, thus narrowing the technology gap between the Clans and the Inner Sphere forces fighting the Clans.
His lust for revenge and deep hatred towards Adam Steiner clouded his code of honor, and he eventually defied orders from Galaxy Commander Chistu to lure Adam to the planet Apollo by commandeering the Federated Commonwealth JumpShip Excelsior and forcing its captain to give coordinates to the location where Adam's brother, Andrew Steiner, was located. The plan backfired as his Galaxy Commander sent forces to capture him in any condition.
Malthus faced off against Adam Steiner on Somerset in a Trial of Possession for the planet, in which both combatants would fight in the North Country, without radar or outside reconnaissance, in BattleMechs. Malthus was successful in destroying Steiner's Awesome, but lost his own Summoner to a cliff. He went on to lose the Trial after striking an electrical cable of his downed 'Mech. His parting words to Adam he would honor the agreement to the letter, and took the planet's population with him.
|“||Crush these defectives who believe themselves equal to the task of attacking us.||”|
|“||Only one man would dare use Somerset jamming techniques on me. ADAM STEINER!||”|
|— Nicolai Malthus, The Somerset Strikers series, broadcast 08/12/3052|
- BattleTech: Legends, p. 86 "Nicolai Malthus"
- Rank and command of the Falcon's Claws Keshik confirmed in the canonical parts 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook such as the transcript of the bidding for Somerset, 4 July 3049 (p. 9)
- Era Report: 3052, pp. 12-13 "Of Myths and Reality"
- Antonia Chinn's MWDA pilot card
- 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook, p. 45 (sidebar) and p. 47 (sidebar)
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 15 "Somerset"
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 3, p. 13 "Summoner (Thor)"
- 1st Somerset Strikers, p. 61
- BattleMech Manual, p. 112 "Weapons and Equipment - Electronics - ECM Suites"