Stone Rhino (Behemoth)
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Read more →
|Stone Rhino (Behemoth)|
|Production Year||Introduction Year::2847|
|Chassis||Star League Monster (Standard)|
|Armor||Compound 12A1 Standard with CASE|
|Jump Jets||Grandthrust Mk. 5|
The Stone Rhino was one of the most remarkable surprises sprung upon the Inner Sphere by the invading Clans. Since the Inner Sphere forces knew about the earlier Amaris Behemoth that was the name they gave to the 'Mech.
Originally this 'Mech considered a mistake, the initial design was known as "Amaris' folly". Developed in a project whose objective was to create a BattleMech able to withstand an entire BattleMech company assault, these machines were to be launched into mass production and used to stop General Aleksandr Kerensky in his attempt to retake Terra. The prototype was described as a monstrosity whose leg actuators shut down during its first test run, so the project was summarily scrapped. However, the Word of Blake would use the engineering information for the Behemoth to create the first successful superheavy 'Mech, the Omega.
Mainly seen in Clan Smoke Jaguar, only a small number of these massive machines have been sighted. No other Clan appeared to field this design, but because it is a venerable design, other Clans are suspected to possess some, widely spread throughout their toumans.
Bringing awesome firepower, these machines cannot be used effectively by commanders because they cannot afford to lose one. The Stone Rhino made use of eighteen tons of standard armor. It could jump up to ninety meters in one bound.
Weapons and Equipment
The design featured Large Pulse Lasers in each arm, twin Gauss Rifles in the torsos fired through the dorsal barrel, and an almost superfluous Small Pulse Laser located just below the cockpit. The Stone Rhino also sported an interesting feature; each arm contained a retractable, shock-absorbing cowl covering the weapon barrels. This allowed MechWarriors to use the arms as battering rams without damaging the weaponry.
- Stone Rhino 2
- In order to plug holes in their touman, Clan Goliath Scorpion scientists revisited the Behemoth. Like Clan Smoke Jaguar before them, they upgraded and improved upon the design. This version used an Extra-light Engine to mount a pair of Thunderstroke Series 2b Gauss Rifles along the top of the 'Mech. Each arm carried a Series 4D-2 Heavy Large Laser, a Series 22a Heavy Medium Laser, and a General Systems Heavy Small Laser. It retained the shock-absorbing cowls of the original. Another pair of Heavy Mediums protected the rear of the 'Mech. A head-mounted Shield-3 Anti-Missile System defended against missiles, while an Anti-Personnel Pod in each leg discouraged unarmored infantry. This design had jump jets, nineteen tons of armor, and a meager sixteen double heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 2,531, BV (2.0) = 3,107
- Stone Rhino 4
- A variable range variant, the Stone Rhino 4 uses an XL Engine to provide weight savings for four LRM 10s to lay down impressive long range fire. Backing these up are a pair of Ultra AC-10s for mid-range engagements. From there, four ER Medium Lasers provide a solid short range punch. Lastly, four Machine Guns provide anti-infantry support. These combine to make a solid and well rounded configuration. BV (2.0) = 2,601
- Matar - The original failed prototype, the Matar massed over one hundred tons and experienced extreme stresses on its leg actuators that effectively prevented the 'Mech from moving. The project ended when Stefan Amaris had the design staff executed for "treasonous incompetence".
- Prior to the Battle of Misery, Wolf's Dragoons apparently counted a Behemoth BattleMech in its Alpha Regiment, piloted by a Gordon Zed. This 'Mech presumably used 3025-era technology, but an exact description was never published. Both the 'Mech and its MechWarrior were destroyed on Misery.
- Captain Jeremiah Rose in a Masakari and Antioch Bell in a Banshee faced one of these on Courcheval. They ended up withdrawing from the fight. They later learn the name of the mech and that the local Clan Nova Cat garrison cluster had "no less than three of the giants, maybe more."
Clan Jade Falcon Stone Rhino
- MUL online date for the Stone Rhino (Behemoth)
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrade, p. 198
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 203
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 143
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 120
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrade, p. 199
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 204
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrade, p. 200
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 205
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 51
- D.R.T. - James D. Long, Chapters 22 & 27
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Design Quirk Table - Stone Rhino (Behemoth) Entry.