(References to Toland)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: -115.77 Y: 431.38[e]
- 1 Description
- 2 History
- 3 Planetary Garrison
- 4 Owner History
- 5 Nearby Systems
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
Toland was settled by a mixture of artists and craftsmen from Kufstein and Predlitz, technicians from St. John and engineers from New Bergen. This eclectic mix of settlers were refugees fleeing from the Rasalhague Principality as a result of Shiro Kurita's campaign to try and annex this nation during the 2330s-2340s.
Rim Worlds Republic
Toland was one of the worlds targeted by Maxwell Rowe during his efforts to build up the Rim Worlds Republic, beginning in 2330; Rowe began by negotiating a series of trade and barter pacts with worlds like Toland, carefully avoiding any suggestions of a military alliance, defensive or otherwise. Rowe added offers of social and technological favors including access to new Rim Worlds Republic university facilities over time, and through guile and slow but steady progress persuaded the natives of Toland to join the Republic.
By the end of the Age of War Toland was a member of the Apollo Province of the Rim Worlds Republic. Civil war erupted in the Rim Worlds Republic in 2575, with the factions polarized around those loyal to First Consul Gregory Amaris and those loyal to the Rift Republican Army and the Rim Provisional Government.
The Star League eventually decided to intervene in the civil war in support of Gregory Amaris, and in 2579 assembled Task Force MAILED FIST to help secure Amaris' control over the Rim Worlds Republic. A multinational force headed by the Star League Defense Force, Task Force MAILED FIST was responsible for executing Operation MAILED FIST, the name given to the military intervention. The first wave of attacks focused on securing significant worlds near Apollo, until a destructive raid on Alarion by the 4th Amaris Fusiliers in retaliation prompted the SLDF to alter its initial strategy for the campaign, the focus shifted to reducing Rim Worlds Army concentrations throughout the Republic and the capture of key worlds.
In late 2584 the SLDF changed tactics again; a number of major RWA units had been destroyed or captured, and the focus for the campaign shifted to capturing worlds of strategic importance, but the campaign was slowed by the greatly increased resistance offered by the RWA and local civilian populations, prompted by atrocities performed by the Draconis Auxiliary Corps when they captured Nightwish in mid-2584.
General Nathan Isaacson assigned a division from VI Corps, the Eighteenth Division, along with three regiments from the 2nd Marik Auxiliary Corps - the Second Defenders of Andurien, Second Regulan Hussars and the Second Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente - to the conquest of Toland in 2593. The Star League forces successfully took control of Toland, defeating the local militia forces, and remained in place as the local garrison until the Defenders of Andurien and Regulan Hussars were redeployed for the invasion of Apollo in 2596.
Star League Era
Jade Falcon Invasion of 3050
In March of 3050 Toland was attacked by Clan Jade Falcon in a Trial of Possession. The planet was defended by the 2nd Regiment of the 12th Star Guards and the Toland Defense Force. The 12th Star Guards took position in the hollows of the Jadea Jungle, but the Jade Falcon's Turkina Keshik and 9th Talon Cluster used their imposing strengths to swiftly rout the 12th Star Guards from their positions. The Falcons then used Aerospace Fighters and lighter 'Mech units to swiftly cut down the Guards as they retreated through barrens of Cantor Climb. A company of Star Guards 'Mechs were able reach Toland City, where they and the planet's defense forces were wiped out.
Ice Hellion Invasion
During the Jihad, Clan Ice Hellion's Beta Galaxy invaded and captured Toland in August of 3071. Three months later in November, elements of Clan Hell's Horses' Theta and Iota Galaxies arrived to fight for control of the planet. As a part of their successful battle for the planet, Horses Naval forces destroyed the Ice Hellion Warship, CIH Moore’s Honor.
Pirate Raid of 3085
In April of 3085 the pirate band known as the Gort's Hounds raided the planet. The objective or the raid was Toland's rare minerals; Clan Hell's Horses defending forces responded with the 67th BattleMech Cluster's heavy Solahma Infantry trinary dealing with the pirates. The mostly infantry and Combat vehicle oriented trinary trapped the pirates in a ambush that destroyed them.
- Twelfth Star Guards
- Second Regiment
- Twelfth Star Guards
- Second Regiment
- Fifty-third BattleMech Cluster
- Fifty-seventh BattleMech Cluster
- Sixty-seventh BattleMech Cluster
- ca. 2330 - Independent world 
- ca. 2334-2338 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2750 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2764 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2765 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2775 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Clan Jade Falcon  (March)
- 3052 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3059 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3067 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3071 - Clan Ice Hellion (from August), Clan Hell's Horses (from mid-November) 
- 3085 - Clan Hell's Horses 
- 3130 - Clan Hell's Horses 
- 3135 - Clan Hell's Horses 
- 3145 - Clan Hell's Horses 
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Star's End||33.3||Persistence||34.6||Iron Land||41.7||Butte Hold||45.9||Oberon VI||46.2|
- Toland is featured in the short story Unholy Union, where it is mentioned the planet has (at least) three moons. It's the location of an old Rim Worlds Republic supply depot reactivated to serve as a trap for pirate forces in 3028.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 37 - Toland's information includes jungles.
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 134 - Toland mentioned in vehicle action in 3085, which world being raided for rare minerals.
- The Periphery, 1st Edition, p. 17, "Inner Sphere Politics"
- The Periphery, 1st Edition, p. 18, "From Rim to Tamar"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War (2571)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 130, "The Spark"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132, "Case Apollo"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 133, "Island Hopping (2582 - November 2590)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134, "Arlina to Viborg (December 2584 - September 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 139, "Bitter Harvests (2591-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 153, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 37, "The Republic-Commonwealth War"
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 37 First Wave / Toland - Conflict for control of Toland.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 29 Toland - Battle for Toland, Falcons lose the world, while Horses liberate it for themselves.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 17, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 134 - Vehicle profile includes 67th BattleMech Cluster's activities on Toland.
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 25, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 154 - "Crusader Clans Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 125, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 134 - Zephyros - Vehicle notable combat includes pirate raid it repulsed on Toland. Vehicle article notes newly stationed 67th BattleMech Cluster being station on planet.
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- Field Manual: SLDF,Map: Inner Sphere 2764
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, Map: Inner Sphere 2765
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 39 "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War "
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- The Periphery (sourcebook)