- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Sheridan LM-TA 8-10, W-7 Facilities, WC Site 3|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Hooded Endo-Lite Endo Steel|
|Armor||Star Lite Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Great Father 210 XL|
|Communications System||Trueborn Ultra 945B|
|Targeting Tracking System||Adder Special V8.6|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
Codenamed Puma by Inner Sphere forces who first engaged it, the Adder is a light Clan OmniMech that serves as a direct or an indirect fire-support unit in most of its configurations. The Adder is capable of carrying a relatively heavy weapons payload that can surprise an unsuspecting enemy, even at extreme ranges.
The Adder was designed by Clan Star Adder in preparation for the invasion of the Inner Sphere. First produced in 3010, the formidable Adder was actually designed as an OmniMech capable of emulating the weapons configurations the Wolf's Dragoons reported as most common for medium Inner Sphere BattleMechs, the 'Mechs most frequently fielded by Successor State armies. Some of these configurations, including B, C, and D, are still used as of 3050. Despite producing such a formidable design, the Star Adders failed to maintain exclusive possession of the Adder; by 3045, the Adder had become common throughout the Clans. The development of the Adder was tied into the restructuring of the Star Adder's Kappa Galaxy to emulate an Inner Sphere force, to provide a training opponent for other Star Adder units. A number of the main configurations of the Adder were designed specifically for Kappa Galaxy, or were based on intelligence provided by Wolf's Dragoons.
The Adder frees up as much weight as possible by using a weight-saving Endo Steel chassis and carrying a lightweight 210 XL Engine, which gives the 'Mech a top speed of 97.2 km/h. The Adder carries six tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor for protection from enemy fire. The effort to save weight has resulted in a 'Mech that dedicates almost half of its weight (some sixteen tons) to pod space.
Weapons and Equipment
The Adder has a Flamer in a fixed mount which cannot be removed from the 'Mech. The Primary configuration adds a basic but powerful arsenal of two ER PPCs which are linked to an advanced Targeting Computer, allowing the Primary configuration of the Adder to strike at long range with deadly accuracy. To help handle the massive heat from the twin ER PPCs, the Adder has an additional double heat sink. Even with the additional double heat sink, the 'Mech must use a volley fire strategy to prevent it from overheating.
- Alt. Config. B
- A long range sniping configuration, the B configuration carries an LB-X Autocannon/5 backed up by a highly accurate Large Pulse Laser for long range engagements. To protect itself at close ranges, the Adder B has a pair of ER Medium Lasers. This was one of the configurations designed as a result of intelligence from Wolf's Dragoons. BV (1.0) = 1,176, BV (2.0) = 1,422
- Alt. Config. C
- Another long range bombardment configuration, the Adder C has two LRM-15 launchers and takes advantage of their lack of a minimum range by carrying a Narc Missile Beacon that can attach homing pods to enemy 'Mechs for increased missile accuracy. For close range defense, the 'Mech has a single Medium Pulse Laser. This configuration was primarily designed by the Star Adders for use by Kappa Galaxy. BV (1.0) = 1,268, BV (2.0) = 1,372
- Alt. Config. D
- Another long range sniper configuration, the Adder D has an ER Large Laser and an Ultra Autocannon/5 for long range engagements, with a pair of Streak SRM-2 launchers to finish off any enemies who close with the 'Mech. This was one of the configurations designed as a result of intelligence from Wolf's Dragoons. BV (1.0) = 1,130, BV (2.0) = 1,255
- Alt. Config. H
- The only true brawling configuration of the Adder, the Adder H has two highly destructive Heavy Large Lasers as its primary weapons backed up only by the fixed Flamer. To help dissipate the 'Mech's heat, it has six additional double heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,158, BV (2.0) = 1,453
- Alt. Config. J
- The Adder J carries the new Hyper Assault Gauss 20 as its primary weapon, giving it a powerful punch. This is backed up by four Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifles, which are capable of decimating infantry. This variant was first observed being used by forces from Clan Hell's Horses in action on Paulus Prime. BV (2.0) = 1,222
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- ADR-CN Cinder
- Reportedly piloted by Dirk Radick, the Adder Hero 'Mech, the Cinder mounts an ER Large Laser in each arm supported by a Machine Gun in each side torso complimented by the head mounted Flamer. Carrying two and half tons of machine gun rounds, five extra Double Heat Sinks maintain a high rate of laser fire.
- Cougar - The Adder was used as a basis for the Jade Falcon Cougar, speeding up development of the slower -- but better armed -- 'Mech.
- Pouncer - It is based off of the Adder, but five tons heavier and adds fixed jump jets.
In German products the unit's proper Clan name was altered to Natter, which means Colubrid. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was left unchanged.
Original Adder from TRO:3050
Adder from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Adder Prime in motion from CCG
Model of Adder from MW4: Mercenaries
- Technical Readout 3050 Upgrade, pp. 120-121, "Adder OmniMech Profile"
- MUL online date for Adder (Puma)
- Combat Operations, p. 109
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 36
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 18-19, "Adder OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 16-17, "Adder OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, p. 24, "Puma"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 37
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 38
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 39
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 40
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 56
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 41
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 42
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 43