- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August, 2021
- Sarna Interviews Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer At Catalyst Games
- Community Outreach - Converting HBS’s BATTLETECH Campaign To Tabletop With Riley Centrella
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Ironhold Alpha Complex|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||JF 3 Light Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compound JF Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||175 JF Extralight|
|Communications System||JF Integrated|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series JFVIII KITT|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
After the Refusal War with Clan Wolf, the Falcon's newly-vested Khan Marthe Pryde strove to rebuild her shattered touman, reaping the benefits of efforts by her predecessor Elias Crichell to step up the pace of the Falcon breeding program and to bring new and deadly OmniMechs into service. With regards the latter, the successful introduction of the Fire Falcon, Black Lanner, Night Gyr and Turkina pleased her, but Pryde desired the symbolic goal of a complete Star of new 'Mechs.  
Recognizing that she'd stretched her Clan's scientists to the limit to produce those four designs already, Khan Pryde directed her scientists to modify an existing design into an even more deadly machine for the fifth member. The design selected was the Adder, and in using an existing design the Falcon scientists were able to field a virtually new 'Mech in roughly half the time normally required to construct and test a new OmniMech.  
First seeing service during the fighting on Coventry in 3058, the Cougar quickly spread to other Clans, most notably Clan Smoke Jaguar's defenders during Operation BULLDOG. The visual similarity to the Adder caught the Inner Sphere forces who faced it on Coventry and Port Arthur off-guard, incorrectly assuming it was the older design and being shocked by the greater firepower the Cougar was capable of unleashing.   Remaining popular with the Falcons, the Ironhold facility that produced the Cougar was destroyed by Clan Steel Viper in 3071 during the Wars of Reaving.
Weapons and Equipment
Though the two 'Mechs are visually similar and share the same weight, the Cougar is slower and better armed than the Adder, replacing its progenitor's 210 XL Engine with a lighter 175 XL model and mounting just five and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor on an Endo Steel frame to boost the available pod-space to 19 tons. Though some Clan MechWarriors complained that the loss of speed was damning for a light 'Mech, the overall consensus was the increased firepower made up for this lack.  
The Jade Falcon scientists continued to closely mimic the Adder in the Cougar's weapon systems, the greater pod space allowing them to enhance them while adhering to original's philosophy of ranged combat. The primary configuration is a good example, mounting a pair of LRM-10s and Large Pulse Lasers for a combination of direct and indirect fire support. 
- Alt. Config. E
- This configuration uses the ATM missile technology with two ATM 6s as its main weapon with three tons of ammo for each launcher. A trio of ER Medium Lasers round out this variant's arsenal to finish off its opponents at short range, with three additional double heat sinks to help with the heat. BV (1.0) = 1,351, BV (2.0) = 1,442
- Alt. Config. F
- Introduced during the Jihad, this configuration was geared for anti-infantry/battle armor combat with eight Heavy Machine Guns, divided between two Heavy Machine Gun Arrays, all of which are fed from a single half ton of ammunition. It also sports a pair of B-Pods to further its role. Its other weaponry includes three Medium Pulse Lasers, and a single Streak SRM 4 Launcher with one ton of reloads. BV (2.0) = 1,401
- Alt. Config. G
- A second Jihad era configuration, the Cougar G carries a Class 20 Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle with two tons of ammunition in its right arm, and a pair of LRM 5 Launchers with one ton of reloads in its left. This configurations only energy weapon is an ER Large Laser mounted in the head. BV (2.0) = 1,453
- Alt. Config. H
- This configuration was introduced during the 3060s. It was equipped with four Jump Jets and an ECM suite. This variant is armed with an Ultra Autocannon/5 and a trio of Heavy Medium Lasers for when any opponent tries to close range. It also has three additional double heat sinks to deal with heat the trio of heavy lasers produce. BV (1.0) = 1,286, BV (2.0) = 1,323
- X 3
- This experimental-tech upgrade has the same armor protection as the X2, though it lacks any jumping ability. It also mounts a Streak LRM-10. To back that up, the X3 has an ER Large Pulse Laser and an ER Medium Pulse Laser. Both lasers benefit from a Targeting Computer. BV (1.0) = 1,280 BV (2.0) = 1,410
- This variant is apparently an attempt by the Jade Falcons to use experimental technology in a combat unit. Originally mistaken for a LAM, the Cougar-XR uses a Partial Wing to extend its jump range to 210 meters. An LRM-15 launcher equipped with Artemis V FCS is located in each side torso, while an ER Medium Pulse Laser provides direct fire. To make room for these systems and the wing, the Cougar-XR uses a Small Cockpit (sourced from the Inner Sphere), Endo Steel chassis, and an Extralight engine. For protection, the 'Mech uses seven tons of Glazed Armor. As of 3077 it appears that the Cougar-XR is a standard BattleMech instead of being an OmniMech like its progenitor design. BV (2.0) = 1,783
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- COU-BA Blood Adder
- The Cougar Hero 'Mech, the Blood Adder mounts an ATM 9 in each arm, supported by a Heavy Machine Gun in each side torso. Fitted with only the standard ten Double Heat Sinks, the Blood Adder carrys four tons of ATM reloads and one and a half tons of HMG ammo, a head mounted Anti-Missile System with a single ton of reloads helping to ensure it's ammo bays run dry.
- Adder - In order to speed development and production, the Cougar OmniMech was derived from the powerful Adder OmniMech, the wildly successful testbed and training design constructed by Clan Star Adder in the early 31st century.
- Pouncer - A test bed made into a full-fledged production OmniMech, the Pouncer shares the Cougar's lineage with the Adder.
In German products the unit's proper Clan name was perfectly translated to Silberlöwe.
Original Cougar from TRO:3060
Experimental Cougar-XR from XTRO:Clans
Model of Cougar from MW4:Mercenaries
Model of Cougar from MWO
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 147, "Cougar Profile"
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, p. 22, "Cougar"
- MUL online date for the Cougar
- Combat Operations, p. 115
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 83
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 213
- The Battle of Coventry, pp. 63-64 "Cougar"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental p.17
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 84
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 214
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 85
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 215
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 86
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 216
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 87
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 217
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 53
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 218
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged p. 219 - F Config for Cougar from RS3060u.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged p. 220 - G Config from the RS3060u.
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 54
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 221
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 94
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 42
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 95
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 43
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 96
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 44
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 97
- Experimental Technical Readout: Clans, p. 3
- The Battle of Coventry (scenario pack)
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Clans
- Master Unit List
- MWDA Spirit Cat's dossier of Kym Nova Cat
- MWDA Steel Wolves' dossier of Gwin Fetladral
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3060
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental