|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Bergan Version 12.6 Endo Steel|
|Communications System||Garret L20|
|Targeting Tracking System||RCA Instatrac Mark IX|
|Heat Sinks||20 Double heat sinks|
The Kodiak is a fast Assault 'Mech designed by Clan Ghost Bear as a second-line counterpart to the Gladiator. Though not taken to the same extreme as other Clan Totem 'Mechs, the Kodiak does epitomize the Ghost Bears' method of warfare, combining an impressive defensive platform with surprising amounts of speed and firepower. Its massive 400-rated XL engine propels the Kodiak to a maximum speed of 64.8 km/h, while seventeen and a half tons of Compound 12A2 gives it impressive armor protection. Though it mounts an incredible amount of firepower, even the use of twenty double heat sinks cannot prevent overheating problems when they are all fired simultaneously, though most MechWarriors learn to use their weapons sparingly and love the 'Mech's ability to deliver a massive knockout punch. The Kodiak incorporates the Garret L20 as its communications system, and uses the RCA Instatrack Mark IX for targeting, however the "claws" mounted on both of its arms are purely aesthetic.
The vast majority of Kodiaks are used by the Ghost Bears, and indeed was exclusive to them in the first years since its introduction. Of those which are found in other toumans, Clan Snow Raven has the largest share, payment for their help in relocating to the Inner Sphere, followed by Clan Goliath Scorpion and Clan Cloud Cobra. Among the Crusader Clans though, only Clan Ice Hellion fields a handful of these 'Mechs. As a interesting note, and proof of the expansion of the Kodiak, at least two of these 'Mechs were found in a Smoke Jaguar unit on planet Asgard, during Operation Bulldog. In later years, Clan Hell's Horses would also become users of the Kodiak, obtaining at least a Trinary of them from the Ghost Bears through various Trials of Possession.
Weapons and Equipment
The Kodiak's primary armament consists of devastating short-range weaponry; namely the single Series II Ultra AC/20 occupying its entire right torso, and twin Streak SRM-6s situated in the left torso. These powerful weapons enable the Kodiak to savage any foe, but care must be taken with the limited ammunition at the MechWarrior's disposal. The 'Mech supplements its primary weaponry with eight Series 2a ER medium lasers, four above each hand set into a claw-like array. The ER medium lasers, powered by the fusion power plant, provide hefty firepower long after the ammunition bays have run dry. While the Kodiak is a cruel opponent close up, it is far from defenseless at long-range; mounted directly beneath the engine is a Series 7k ER Large Laser, allowing it to soften up targets as it advances for the kill.
- Kodiak 2
- A more mobile variant that first saw action during the Combine-Ghost Bear War on Richmond, the Kodiak 2 was an attempt to solve the original's heat problem and increase its mobility by mounting jump jets, enabling it to leap up to one hundred and twenty meters, sacrificing four medium lasers and a missile launcher. BV (1.0) = 2,687, BV (2.0) = 2,856
- Kodiak 3
- This variant created by Clan Snow Raven in the mid-3060s turns the Kodiak into an anti-aircraft platform. Stripping out six heat sinks and all the weaponry except four ER medium lasers, it mounts a pair of LB-X Autocannon/20s, three tons of ammo each, and an advanced targeting computer. BV (1.0) = 2,178, BV (2.0) = 2,615
- Kodiak 4
- This variant mounts an Artemis IV FCS–enhanced LRM-20 and a pair of ER medium lasers in each arm. For additional short range firepower, an LB 20-X AC is carried in the right torso. BV (2.0) = 2,728
- Kodiak 5
- This variant is a dedicated close range brawler. Adding three more heat sinks helps keep it cool as it employs nine ER medium lasers and two ER large lasers. The Gauss rifle remains in the right torso. BV (2.0) = 3,067
- Kodiak 6
- The Kodiak 6 is very similar to the original, and it can be very hard to distinguish the two variants on the battlefield. The eight arm-mounted ER medium lasers remain unchanged, as do the twin Streak SRM-6s in the left torso. The ER Large Laser in the center torso is gone and in its place is a Medium Pulse Laser. The Ultra AC/20 has been swapped out for an LB-X autocannon/20. This weapon is hindered somewhat by only having access to two tons of ammunition. The leftover tonnage is utilized to mount a Coolant Pod in each arm. 20 Double Heat Sinks help to reduce the heat. These allow the 6 the fearsome ability to alpha strike without overheating. BV (2.0) = 2,922
- Though powerful , the original Kodiak lacked sufficient long range weaponry and did not come close to mounting its full complement of armor. In 3095, saKhan Ragnar of Clan Ghost Bear tasked the technician caste with developing a variant that would resolves these setbacks. The new version sports two Type XX "Great Bow" LRM-20 launchers, one Type X "Short Bow" LRM-10 launcher, one Clan Mk. VII ER PPC and replaces the 8 medium lasers with 8 Series 1 ER small lasers. This version also adds jump jets to the design, allowing the 'Mech to jump over 90 meters.
- Kodiak Cale
- The Mech of the 2nd Dieron Regulars' commander, Tai-sa Cale Schultz-Tanaka, the Kodiak Cale was recovered from a battlefield on Dieron and re-equipped with Inner Sphere and Clan technologies. Keeping the standard Clan Endo-Steel chassis and double heat sinks, techs replaced the XL engine with a standard unit. This reduced the 'Mech's top speed to 54 km/h, but increased survivability. Most of the Clan weaponry was also removed: Only a trio of Clan ER medium lasers in the left arm and a pair of Streak SRM 6 launchers in the left torso remain. The Kodiak Cale uses an Autocannon/10 and Heavy PPC for its main hitting power. These are backed up by the Clan weapons and a pair of Inner Sphere ER medium lasers and a pair of Inner Sphere medium lasers. The most important addition to the Cale version is the electronics suite: A Beagle Active Probe in the right torso spots enemy forces, while a C3 master computer in the left torso allows the Kodiak Cale to feed targeting data to supporting units. BV (2.0) = 2,511.
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- KDK-SB "Spirit Bear"
- A customized variant of the Kodiak. The Spirit Bear, supposedly piloted by Laurie Tseng, is a take on what could have been if MASC was compatible for the venerable Totem Mech. The Spirit Bear uses a pair of ER medium lasers in each arm. The left torso carries three Streak SRM-6S with two tons ammo. The center torso also carries a Streak SRM-6 as a backup weapon. The right arm carries a single ER Medium Laser. In the right torso, an Ultra Autocannon/10 with two tons of ammo and MASC, while the left leg carries a pair of Streak SRM ammo.
- Executioner (Gladiator) - The Executioner was used as a part of Clan Ghost Bear's project to create the first Totem Mech with MASC. However, because the Kodiak was incompatible with the MASC system, the design was splintered to a new project.
- Kodiak II - The Kodiak II was the Ghost Bear Dominion's upgrade of the venerable BattleMech during the post-Jihad era.
The Kodiak has the following Design Quirks:
- Breedfelt: MechWarrior of clan Ghost Bear trinary of Stalking Bears, garrisoning the planet Toffen in 3062, killed in a fight against clan Wolf, during a trial of possession of the planet.
- Star Colonel Chister Hall: commander of the Fifth Bear Regulars, Xi Galaxy, assaulted the world of Richmond in 3062 during the Dominion-Combine War in a newly produced Kodiak 2.
- Star Captain Caden: pilot of the only known Kodiak in Clan Nova Cat, Star Captain Caden lost his Vulture "Spirit Cat" on the battlefields of Marawi during the Dominion-Combine War, but was able to salvage a Kodiak, naming it "Spirit Bear".
Original appearance of the Kodiak from Invading Clans
Kodiak from TRO:3058
Kodiak from RG:iClan v21
A Kodiak fighting the Fox Patrol, from Shrapnel #7
Kodiak in combat from CCG
KDK-V1 Kodiak from Mechwarrior Dark Age Dossier
Model of Kodiak from MW4: Mercenaries
Model of Kodiak MWO
Kodiak miniature from BattleTech: Clan Ad Hoc Star
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 80–81: "Kodiak"
- ↑ MUL online date for the Kodiak
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 113
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 194-195
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 350
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 207
- ↑ Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 86, 'Procyon (Quad)'
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 30, p. 4, 'Onuris Attack VTOL'
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrade, p. 355
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 351
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 208
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrade, p. 356
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 352
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 209
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 210
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 211
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 21, p. 13
- ↑ Jihad Turning Points: Dieron, p. 19. Kodiak Cale record sheet.
- ↑ MechWarrior Online - "Kodiak"
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 92 BattleMech Quirk Table - Kodiak Entry.
- ↑ Roar of Honor p. 70
- Combat Operations
- Geoff Bekker's dossier from the MWDA's counterassault
- Invading Clans (sourcebook)
- Jihad Turning Points: Dieron
- Master Unit List
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 21
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 30
- Record Sheets: 3055/3058
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Rotem Fridberg's dossier from the MWDA's counterassault
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: Prototypes
- Assault BattleMechs
- Clan BattleMechs
- Standard BattleMechs
- Clan Standard BattleMechs
- 100 ton BattleMechs
- Clan Cloud Cobra BattleMechs
- Clan Hell's Horses BattleMechs
- Clan Ghost Bear BattleMechs
- Clan Goliath Scorpion BattleMechs
- Clan Ice Hellion BattleMechs
- Clan Snow Raven BattleMechs
- Totem BattleMechs