17th Arcturan Guards
- Fan-Made BattleTech Comic Based On MechWarrior Online Coming Soon
- Community Outreach - Interview With BanditB17 And mdmzero0 On The 2018 MechWarrior Online World Championship Finals
- First BattleTech Expansion - Flashpoint - Arrives November 27th
- Update From Catalyst On The New BattleTech Box Sets
- Harebrained Schemes Reveals BattleTech: Flashpoint Gameplay, Kills Dekker
- Read more →
|Seventeenth Arcturan Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||The Kezla Rams|
|Parent Formation||Arcturan Guards|
- 1 Unit Description
- 2 History
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Composition History
- 6 Notes
- 7 Rules
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
The Seventeenth Arcturan Guards is a House Steiner military formation, principle in its early times it was purely, a BattleMech Regiment. After the formation of the Federated Commonwealth, the unit was re-organized into lead element of its own Regimental Combat Team. The unit saw little action through most of the early and late thirty-first century until FedCom Civil War.
Star League Era
First Succession War
The Seventeenth Arcturan Guards were reformed in 2781 through the recruitment of the 205th Heavy Assault Regiment, a former Star League Defense Force regiment from the Seventeenth Army, and had the distinction of being the first SLDF unit to be recruited by the LCAF.
Third Succession War
The Seventeenth faced Wolf's Dragoons Beta and Delta Regiments on Wyatt in 3016. The unit did something few other units had: It destroyed a battalion of Beta Regiment when they destroyed a Dragoon DropShip.
In 3019 the Seventeenth ambushed Zeta Battalion and the Black Widow Company on Lamon. The Seventeenth wasn't able to drive off the Dragoons, but they did put up a heavy defense that inflicted serious losses on the two Dragoon units.
Fourth Succession War
In October 3028 the Seventeenth were station on Wyatt when it was targeted by the Free Worlds League Military as a part of Operation DAGGER, the offensive planned by Captain-General Janos Marik to seize valuable industrial worlds in the Federation of Skye. Wyatt was a particular target of DAGGER because of the presence of the Seventeenth and the Eleventh Lyran Guards; while the Fifth Regulan Hussars and Twenty-fifth Marik Militia jumped into the Wyatt system intent on destroying both regiments, other FWLM regiments were capturing the Milton and Phecda systems in an effort to isolate the Lyran forces.
Unfortunately for the two League regiments, the two Lyran regiments had been forewarned of the attack. The Hussars arrived at a pirate point allowing them to make an immediate drop on the surface of the planet, while the Militia appeared at the zenith jump point - only to find the Eleventh Lyran Guards waiting at the jump point, with the 'Mechs embarked on transports and aerospace fighters patrolling. Before the Militia could launch fighters the Eleventh's aerospace fighters began strafing attacks, with pairs of Chippewas and Lucifers each launching a single attack before withdrawing. The cumulative damage destroyed two Unions and a Leopard; worse still for the Militia, one of the DropShips was transporting a battalion command staff, and when it was destroyed, not only were those staff killed, but the DropShip then exploded, damaging a number of neighbouring DropShips as they seperated from their Invader-class JumpShip. With the Militia forces frantically trying to form up, the Eleventh retrieved its fighters and jumped out to the Alchiba system, while the Arcturan Guards jumped for Cor Caroli. Although the plan to destroy the two Lyran regiments was unsuccessful, the League did capture Wyatt.
Minor Actions in Post-Fourth Succession War period
In 3047, the Guards saw action against the 13th Marik Militia. During that operation, the unit learned develop defensive tactics to protect its vital rear staging areas.  By 3050, the Guards were stationed on the planet Wyatt along the border of the Free Worlds League . They remained there in the years following the Clan Invasion , and would ultimately remain on Wyatt until 3062.
FedCom Civil War
Garrison Duty on Solaris
The unit was first deployed to Solaris VII with orders to reinforce the garrison on planet, as the locals failed to contain increasing levels of violence that become later known as the Solaris Riots in 3062.
On April 20th, the unit moved land on the planet and await new orders from LAAF High Command. In what was only to be stop over, the unit was attack by Smithson's Chinese Bandits and other minor militia & mercenary unit under their direct control. The Bandits were originally contracted by planet's government to protect the world's mining complexes. The Guards proximity to Mining complex was too close for them and the Bandits attacked while the Guards were landing. Caught in complete surprise, the Guards and Bandits battle extended into conflict for control of the planet instead of simple way station to wait for orders. The Bandits led the guards in chases through Small World's arctic regions, but ended up unsuccessful hunting down the units. By 14th of June, the Achernar SMM had arrived to reinforce the Guards. The unit commanders prove to dislike each other but was able carry on in their efforts to hunt down the Bandits. Within three days, both loyalist units were successful in destroying the Smithson's Chinese Bandits.
On the 21st of June, Victor Steiner-Davion's Allied forces arrived in system. The 5th Syrtis Fusiliers was leading brigade of Mercenaries, under the command of Major General Koening. Initially the 5th Sytris and its forces were using their range weaponry to wear down the Guards and its Militia ally. Despite this, in 2nd July the Guards & Militia pushed back FedSun forces to back to their landing zone.
Unfortunately for the Guards, Koening had additional forces called in, inform of few battalions mercenary lead by the Wilson's Hussars. The sheer size of forces against the Arcturans and its Militia put the unit within two weeks of fighting. By July 23rd, Leutnant-General Davis Lillie order withdraw for all loyalist forces. As Guards & Militia were loading their troops on their DropShips, Allied forces conducted a Combat Drop of BattleMechs on their LZ. This actions by the allies was backed by attack numerous Armor units. On the next day of fighting, General Lillie formally surrendered to Allied forces, and his units personnel were incarcerated on the planet.
Post-FedCom Civil War
During their incarceration, the mercenary units involved in the fighting attempted to confiscate the Guard's equipment for their own. However, Major-General Koening prevented Guards from being rendered equipment-less. However, the unit did end up losing some their assets to the mercenaries.
The Seventeenth Arcturan Guards survived the initial Jihad actions in the Federated Suns and fought in Operation SCOUR. As part of the Coalition's Lyran Thrust, the Seventeenth raided Zosma in 3077. Finding the world nearly defenseless, they promptly took control of the planet and brought it into the Coaltion's control. They also served under General Belle Lee's assault on Sydney, Australia, Terra. While fighting in Sydney, they fought alongside Ryuken-san and Stone's Stalwarts.
After the Jihad ended, the Seventeenth was rotated back to Arcturus. There they rebuilt to fighting strength. They have the distinction of being the only full RCT left in the Arcturan Guards brigade, though they are still at barely half their listed strength.
The Seventeenth was stationed along the Port Moseby Salient, a finger of Commonwealth controlled systems that ranged from Port Moseby to Auldhouse. When the Jade Falcons jumped the border, the Seventeenth's commander ordered a general retreat towards Tharkad instead of fighting. None of the Seventeenth engaged the Falcons before they withdrew. They fought on Tharkad, but as soon as the Falcons and Clan Wolf forces retreated, the Seventeenth's commander was arrested and charged with dereliction of duty. The Seventeenth was then assigned to garrison Coventry under a new commander.
|Commanding Officers of the 17th Arcturan Guards|
|Allan Nacine||3050 to 3054|
|Davis Lillier||3059 to 3067|
The unit is oriented in conducting lightning fast assaults. The guards employ shock and momentum to their assaults. The unit however is weak in policing actions which requires peacekeeping and employing defensive tactics.
17th Arcturan Guards (Veteran/Questionable)
17th Arcturan Guards (Veteran/Questionable)
- - At this point in time the Seventeenth were at just thirty-two percent of full strength, and were stationed on Camlann.
17th Arcturan Guards RCT (Regular/Reliable)
17th Arcturan Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Tork Moritz
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Koloman Landaw
- 127th Arcturan Heavy Armor Regiment: Colonel Antonis Vasilou
- 173rd Arcturan Armored Cavalry (Regiment: Colonel Jaye Isenberg
- 186th Arcturan Armored Cavalry Regiment: Colonell David Cross
17th Arcturan Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Victoria Bryce
Aide: Leutnant Colonel William Weare
- 294th Wyatt Heavy Infantry Regiment: Colonel David Pugh
- 302nd Arcturan Infantry Regiment: Colonel Ray Sanchez
- 304th Arcturan Infantry Regiment: Colonel Julian Moseley
- 12th Arcturan Commando Regiment Colonel Agnes Hui
- 19th Arcturan Jump Regiment: Colonel Maximillian Kimbell
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 9, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War, p. 33, "Those Left Behind (Continued)"
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 21
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 23
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 62-63, "Operation DAGGER"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 63, "Overview"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 57, "17th Arcturan Guards" - Raid in Free Worlds League noted, one few actions unit is noted for doing.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 57 - Tactics - Unit fought 13th Marik Militia and learn its tactics, but unspecific where they fought.
- 20 Year Update, p. 27, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- FedCom Civil War (Sourcebook), pp. 160-161, "Small World" - The Unit Actions on Small World and their defeat.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 168, "17th Arcturan Guards" - Unit lost equipment after being jailed by FedSuns troops.
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 20
- Total Chaos, pp. 89, 171
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 65
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 10
- Total Chaos, pp. 221-223
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 98
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 109, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Battlecorps Scenarios: Pillbox
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 125
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119, "Unit Deployment Tables - 3025"
- Objective Raids, p. 19, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 57, "Note of commanding officer"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "LAAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 132, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces - Coventry Province"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 57, "Tactics" - Unit strength and weaknesses in its methods of combat
- First Succession War, p. 139, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 137
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 57, "17th Arcturan Guards Composition"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 130, "Force Specific Rules" - 17th Arcturan Guards - Unit abilities and weaknesses.
- 20 Year Update
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report: LAAF
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth
- First Succession War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Total Chaos
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook)