|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Armor||Kallon Unity Weave ferro-fibrous with CASE|
|Engine||Magna 260 XL|
|Communications System||Johnston Wide Band|
|Targeting Tracking System||Rander Pinpoint-HY|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||HildCo Model 12|
Developed by Team Banzai as the big brother of the highly successful Hatchetman, the Axman was designed exclusively to be a 'Mech killer. The Axman was also intended as a symbol of solidarity throughout the Federated Commonwealth by using components that were produced in the Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, and even former Capellan Confederation space. The collapse of the Federated Commonwealth in 3057 almost rendered the design extinct because of this, production slowing to a trickle as both the Federated Suns and Lyran Alliance were forced to rely on surplus stores while developing new variants utilizing locally sourced components.
The Axman has a ground speed of only 64.8 km/h, which is average for a Heavy weight, but improved in part by the inclusion of Jump Jets. The 'Mech is covered with eleven tons of ferro-fibrous armor that gives it a great deal of protection, with ten Double Heat Sinks offering average heat dissipation. Much like its lighter brother, the Axman was designed to utilize the Full-Head Ejection System to safe-guard its MechWarrior.
Weapons and Equipment
The two primary weapons on board the Axman are its massive hatchet, which alone weighs five tons and can cleave through enemy 'Mech armor like a knife through butter, and a Luxor Devastator-20 Autocannon/20, which can strip over a ton of armor off of an enemy 'Mech with ease. The 'Mech also carries a trio of Intek medium lasers and a highly accurate Sutel Precision Line Large Pulse Laser for short to intermediate range combat.
- The 2N variant of the Axman, introduced in the late 3040s, has been called a mistake by some and a stroke of genius by others. The 2N carries two Coventry Star Fire LRM-15 launchers in place of the massive Autocannon/20 as the autocannon often jammed on early models. While this changes the 'Mech's role from a city fighter to a long-range bombardment 'Mech, it also allows the Axman to be a support 'Mech that can defend itself with its massive Hatchet at ranges where the LRMs are ineffective if an enemy closes. BV (1.0) = 1,238, BV (2.0) = 1,458
- The Furillo manufactured 3S introduced in 3060 removes the XL Engine of the 1N and 2N variants and replaces it with a Light Fusion Engine. This exclusively Lyran variant of the Axman is armed with a massive LB-X Autocannon/20, which allows it to fire either solid rounds or cluster rounds that act like a 'Mech sized shotgun. The 'Mech also carries three ER medium lasers for close combat and a Guardian ECM Suite, which defends against enemy electronic warfare equipment. BV (1.0) = 1,499 (1,403), BV (2.0) = 1,649
- An attempt to reduce reliance upon foreign equipment, this exclusively Davion variant replaced the 1N line on New Syrtis in 3071. It drops the jump jets, lasers, and large-bore autocannon in favor of four light autocannon/5s, supplemented by two medium lasers. Two tons of ammunition stored in a CASE protected bay allows for some flexibility in the choice of munitions. A Targeting Computer improves the accuracy of all the weapons on the 'Mech. It uses ferro-fibrous armor for protection. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,222
- A prototype in 3146 whose production was delayed only due to lack parts, the AXM-5N was rapidly built for the desperate AFFS after the Davion recapture of New Syrtis from the Capellans. Using a number of components shared with the Hatchetman 7D and Caesar 5D, the AXM-5N carries a Tiburon Khanate supplied HAG 20 in its right torso supported by a left-arm mounted Sea Fox Clan ER PPC and a trio of IS-grade ER medium lasers on the right-arm. Fitted with a Guardian ECM Suite, through carrying three tons of HAG reloads, the AXM-5N primarily relies on its energy weaponry to activate its Triple Strength Myomer to enhance both its speed and the damage inflicted with its hatchet. BV (2.0) = 2,575
- This is the production variant of the AXM-6X described under "Custom Variants". This version, introduced in 3083, uses an Inner Sphere produced XL engine and lacks the Supercharger of the 6X. The top speed of the 6T is 86 km/h. The armor protection and weapon configuration are identical to the Axman 6X, but the Thunderbolt launchers have two tons of ammunition each. BV (2.0) = 1,830 (The handheld weapons listed for the 6X are also used by the 6T.)
- This Axman variant introduced in 3074, and uses several experimental systems as a technology testbed. The hatchet and standard weaponry have been removed. In their place is a pair of Thunderbolt 15 missile launchers in the torso, while each leg mounts a pair of ER medium lasers. This is important, as the 6X uses several handheld weapons to provide its main firepower. A Clan-spec engine coupled with a Supercharger keeps the 6X moving at high speeds. Though the Thunderbolt missiles provide some firepower, they're only supported by a ton of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 2,132
- The weapons systems available to the 6X include:
- Light Autocannon - Light AC/5 with 1 ton of ammunition and a half-ton of armor. BV (2.0) = 86
- Enhanced LRM - Enhanced LRM-10 and a half ton of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 111
- ER medium laser - One ER medium laser, five Heat sinks, and a half-ton of armor. BV (2.0) = 78
- Heavy Flamer - Three Heavy Flamers, one ton of ammunition, and a ton of armor. BV (2.0) = 81
- Fluid Gun - Twin Fluid Guns with two tons of ammunition available protected by a half-ton of armor. The flexible nature of the Fluid Gun's ammunition allows this weapon pod to be used in noncombat situations. BV (2.0) = 28
- LRM System - This weapon pod carries three LRM-5 launchers and a half-ton of ammunition. BV (2.0) =138
- MML System - A single MML-7 with a ton of ammunition and armor. BV (2.0) = 107
- Streak SRM Launcher - A single Streak SRM-6 with a ton of ammunition, which is protected by a ton of armor.
- Hatchetman - The design of the Axman would originate from this 45-ton mech.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was altered to Kriegsbeil, which literally means War Hatchet. The model code was accordingly changed to KGB-1N.
- Plastic AXM-1N is included in BattleTech: Inner Sphere Heavy Battle Lance
Original Axman from TRO:3050
AXM-1N Axman from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Axman 2N from BTC:TRoW
Experimental AXM-6X Axman in motion from XTRO:Steiner
Axman from RG:ilClan v12
AXM-1N Axman in combat from CCG
Axman miniature from BattleTech: Inner Sphere Heavy Battle Lance
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 12
- MUL online date for the Axman
- Combat Operations, p. 126
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 71
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 70: "Axman"
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 62
- MUL online introduction date for the AXM-3S Axman
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 92
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 13: "Axman"
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 14: "Axman AXM-5N"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 123
- MUL online introduction date for the AXM-6X Axman
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner, p. 5
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner, p. 6
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90: BattleMech Quirk Table - Axman.
- BattleMech Manual
- BattleTech Compendium: The Rules of Warfare
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Steiner
- Master Unit List
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Prototypes