|Manufacturer||Upsilon Plant 2J|
|Chassis||Type W2 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Compund H17 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Series D8 CC-25X|
|Targeting Tracking System||Sloane 220 Lockover System|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Geotec 300|
The Viper is a fast, highly-maneuverable medium OmniMech originally designed by Clan Fire Mandrill on Shadow. Codenamed the Dragonfly by the Inner Sphere forces that first encountered this small but fierce OmniMech, the name stuck because of its ability to move swiftly over the battlefield. The Viper is fast and well-armored, but significantly under-gunned compared with other Clan OmniMechs massing 35-45 tons (including the Adder, Battle Cobra, Grendel, Shadow Cat, Pouncer, and Cougar).
Clan Ghost Bear came into possession of the design in 3002 when they traded several production runs of Executioner OmniMechs for the design and production facilities on Shadow. Rather than trial for land rights to Shadow, and become embroiled in the internecine struggles of the Fire Mandrills, the Bears restructured the facility, making the lines modular, and relocated production to Strana Mechty - this modular technology proved very useful when the Ghost Bears migrated back to the Inner Sphere in the late 3050s. Surprisingly, the Bears left their first modular production facility on Strana Mechty. Production continued on Strana Mechty for Clan Ghost Bear until the mid-3060s when the Hell's Horses won the production rights and the facility (and then promptly lost the facility to Clan Ice Hellion in 3068). In addition to the manufacturing plant on Strana Mechty, at least one other planet in the Homeworlds was home to a manufacturing line producing Vipers; in 3071 Clan Goliath Scorpion captured a Viper factory from Clan Coyote on Delios, although it is unknown if the planet survived the Wars of Reaving, Goliath Scorpion Abjurement and the subsequent abandonment of the planet by the Coyotes and Cloud Cobras.
Weapons and Equipment
The Viper is built on a lightweight Endo Steel chassis and powered by a weight saving 320 XL engine that propels the Viper to a top speed of 129.6 km/h. The Viper augments its impressive ground speed with eight jump jets that allow it to jump up to a distance of two hundred and forty meters. The Viper has seven tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor to absorb any damage from shots that are lucky enough to strike it and has eight and a half tons of podspace for its weapons payload.
In its primary weapons configuration, the Viper is configured to fill a variety of close combat roles. The Viper has an Anti-Missile System for added defense capabilities and has two Machine Guns for use against soft targets and anti-infantry work. The Viper's main guns are two Medium Pulse Lasers and an SRM-4 launcher that allow it to harass other 'Mechs and vehicles.
- Alt. Config. A
- A close range harasser configuration, the Viper A is armed with an impressive five ER Medium Lasers for its main striking power and is backed up by an SRM-6 launcher with an Artemis IV fire control system that increases the launcher's accuracy. This powerful short range punch makes the Viper A a powerful foe in close combat situations, though an inexperienced MechWarrior may find him or herself quickly overcome by heat. BV (1.0) = 1,845', BV (2.0) = 1,989
- Alt. Config. C
- The Viper C carries an Active Probe to allow it to find hidden enemy units, usually in an urban environment where it can bring its four Machine Guns and three Flamers to bear on any infantry unfortunate enough to be found. To provide some combat capability against 'Mechs and vehicles, the C configuration has two ER Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,190, BV (2.0) = 1,344
- Alt. Config. D
- Capable of engaging an enemy at a variety of ranges, the Viper D has an LRM-5 that allows it to engage enemy units at long ranges. As the distance closes, the Viper D can bring its two ER Medium Lasers and Streak SRM-6 to bear on an enemy, with two ER Small Lasers for extremely close combat situations. BV (1.0) = 1,727, BV (2.0) = 1,779
- Alt. Config. E
- Similar to the D configuration, the Viper E has an ATM-6 that is capable of filling the roles of the LRM and SRM launchers on the D configuration. The Viper E has an ER Medium Laser and two ER Small Lasers for close range direct firepower. BV (1.0) = 1,564, BV (2.0) = 1,561
- Alt. Config. F
- A close combat configuration, the Viper F is armed with eight Heavy Machine Guns which are all linked to a pair of Machine Gun Arrays, making it extremely deadly against infantry and other soft targets. For more well-armored foes, it carries three ER Medium Lasers. This mix makes the F configuration suitable for combating infantry with integrated light vehicle support elements. BV (2.0) = 1,689
- Alt. Config. G
- Another configuration of the Viper that is intended to fight at close range, the G configuration carries as its primary weapon a Plasma Cannon. This is backed up with a Heavy Medium Laser and four Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifles for protection from infantry attacks. BV (2.0) = 1,574
- Alt. Config. H
- Configured around the heavy laser system, the Viper H has two ER Medium Lasers which are backed up by two powerful Heavy Medium Lasers and two highly accurate Small Pulse Lasers. For added protection from missile fire, this configuration also has an Anti-Missile System. BV (1.0) = 1,544, BV (2.0) = 1,732
- Alt. Config. I
- Capable of engaging an enemy at any range, the I configuration carries an ATM-3 launcher which is capable of engaging at long, medium, and short ranges. This is supported at close range by a trio of Heavy Medium Lasers which are all linked to an advanced Targeting Computer. The 'Mech also carries a Light Active Probe to allow it to detect hidden enemy units and, for further protection, an Anti-Missile System is carried which helps protect the 'Mech from missile attacks. BV (2.0) = 1,580
- Alt. Config. U
- Intended to support boarding operations, this version of the Viper carries additional reaction mass in a Liquid Storage tank. An ECM Suite makes it more difficult to hit while approaching the target vessel. An Anti-Missile System swats down any missiles that come near the Viper U. Two ER Medium Lasers allow it to breach enemy armor from a distance, while the Hatchet in the left arm allows the Viper pilot to smash through armor. BV (2.0) = 1,417
- Alt. Config. Z
- This variant of the Viper is equipped with a Nova CEWS to offset the low skill levels of The Society's MechWarriors. The right arm mounts a pair of Improved Heavy Medium Lasers, while the left arm mounts a single Improved Heavy Medium Laser and a single iATM 3. A Light TAG system in the right torso allows the Viper Z to designate artillery strikes, and a Laser AMS provides additional protection against missile fire.
The configurations presented here were introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
- VPR-M Medusa
- A configuration supposedly used by Clan Wolf warrior Dwillt Radick at the time of the initial Clan Invasion, his Medusa mounts a trio of ER Small Lasers in each arm supported by left-torso mounted Streak SRM-6 rack supplied with a ton of reloads, a center torso mounted Anti-Missile System preventing any return missile fire as long as its ton of ammunition lasts.
MechWarrior Online art of the Viper
- MUL online entry for Viper (Dragonfly)
- Combat Operations, p. 108, "Faction Tables with BV listing"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 122-123, "Dragonfly OmniMech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 44
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 18-19, "Dragonfly OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 16-17, "Dragonfly OmniMech Profile"
- Wars of Reaving, p. 70, "Vanishing Point"
- Wars of Reaving, p. 148, "Feeding Frenzy"
- Wars of Reaving, p. 162, "Clan Cloud Cobra"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 123
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 45
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 46
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 47
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 48
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 64
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 49
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 50
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 51
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 52
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 53
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 137
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 61
- MechWarrior Online Viper Sale Page
- Combat Operations
- MechWarrior Online - Viper Lore and Blueprint
- MechWarrior Online - Viper Sale Page
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Wars of Reaving
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental