- This article is about the BattleMech. For other uses, see Cyclops (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||Grumium Creations, Stormvanger Assemblies, Unlimited|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Communications System||Olmstead 840|
|Targeting Tracking System||Tacticon Tracer 280|
The Cyclops began production in 2710 as an assault BattleMech and headquarters unit for Star League Defense Force field commanders. A decent mix of weapons provided the Cyclops with both long- and short-range firepower and a sizable engine to keep up with mobile operations. The most important feature of the 'Mech though was its advanced electronics, especially the Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer, which allows the pilot to effectively command up to brigade-sized units. Other aspects of the 'Mech are less than stellar however. The diverse array of weapons means the 'Mech does suffer somewhat from ammunition issues while meager armoring provides less protection than that found on similar machines, though it is enough to stave off attackers until reinforcements arrive. In particular the armoring on the head section, while as heavily protected as allowed by the internal structure, leaves the pilot and the sophisticated command and control equipment more vulnerable than usual. When operating as the command vehicle at regimental and higher echelons with an ample support apparatus and guarded by a headquarters lance, these deficiencies are far less noticeable and the Cyclops could be kept in reserve until employed to turn the tide of battle or exploit a weakness.
Unfortunately the Cyclops did not fare so well with the onset of the Amaris Civil War when the Rim Worlds Republic Military destroyed its primary factory on Caph in 2774. Spare parts for the machine quickly began to dry up, until by the end of the Succession Wars less than ten percent still had a working B-2000 computer. Lacking the critical part of being a command vehicle many Cyclopses were pressed into assault role. Acting as the bodyguard or decoy for the real commanding officer, they proved to be swift if mediocre combat machines. As most enemies know about the vulnerable head and automatically target it in combat, many Cyclops pilots also began adding false head protectors to defend against impacts; a study by the NAIS after the Fourth Succession War would eventually find that these caused more harm than good by restricting vision and increasing shrapnel, ending the practice altogether.
The rediscovery of the Helm Memory Core kick-started a number of attempts to replicate the B-2000 computer, however there were no successful attempts prior to the Clan Invasion. As well the invention of the C3 Computer, with its emphasis on small-scale networking, and a switch in doctrine to using DropShips as command posts, saw the Cyclops' command role decline. However Grumium Creations was eventually able to restart production of new variants of the 'Mech, and where it has participated a Cyclops with a working B-2000 has had noticeable effects. For this reason Cyclops 'Mechs with a working battle computer were reserved for high-ranking officers.
Weapons and Equipment
The Cyclops carries an arsenal built to handle almost any situation. For long-range combat and indirect fire, the 'Mech carries a Delta Dart LRM-10 missile launcher in the left torso along with one ton of reloads. For closer ranges the 'Mech has a variety of weapons. A Zeus-36, Mark III Autocannon/20 mounted in the right torso keeps all but the heaviest 'Mechs at a respectable distance and is fed by four tons of ammo split between both sides of the torso. The autocannon is backed up by two Diverse Optics Type 20 Medium Lasers, one in either arm, and a Hovertec Quad SRM-4 with one ton of reloads in the center torso.
The centerpiece of the Cyclops is its sophisticated holographic battle computer, the Tacticon B-2000. When combined with the Omstead Olmstead 840 tight beam comm suite with SatNav module, the Cyclops can effectively command a brigade across the surface of an entire world. Unfortunately the Cyclops is poorly protected relative to other assault 'Mechs with only ten tons of armor, and while its normal load of twelve heat sinks allows it to stay cool in most cases, they can prove to be inadequate in especially heavy situations.
- The most notable of all Cyclops variants, introduced in 2750, fits the 'Mech with a Collapsible Command Module strapped to its rear torso, allowing a fully operational headquarters bunker to be set up in fifteen minutes. In order to make room for the module the Autocannon/20 and its ammunition was removed from this variant. Irreparable damages suffered during the Succession Wars means less than half of those Cyclopses with a working B-2000 have an operable command module. BV (1.0) = 900, BV (2.0) = 1,107
- The Q variant of the Cyclops was introduced in 2801 in an attempt to keep enemies at range. It removed the Autocannon/20 and replaced it with an additional LRM-10, three more tons of missile reloads, two additional heat sinks, a third medium laser in the right torso and seven more tons of armor, making it very well protected. BV (1.0) = 1,213, BV (2.0) = 1,584
- A common modification of the Cyclops that uses some rediscovered Star League technology, the 11-A was introduced in 3045 and replaces the massive Autocannon/20 for a Zeus Slingshot Gauss Rifle with two tons of ammo. Although doing slightly less damage it has a much larger effective range. BV (1.0) = 1,251, BV (2.0) = 1,547
- Introduced in 3071 this version of the Cyclops carries a second Gauss Rifle, thirteen and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and CASE. To make room for this equipment, engineers replaced the engine with a 270 rated model. Though this slows the Cyclops by 25%, the increased weaponry and armor protection compensates for the reduced speed. BV (2.0) = 2,145
- The 11-C is similar to the 11-A in that they carry an almost identical weapons payload. Built in 3050 the only difference is that the 11-C has removed the LRM-10 launcher and replaced it with a C3 Computer, which allows it to share targeting data and coordinate C3 lances. An additional two tons of armor have been added to the design as well. This makes the 11-C a highly effective sniper and command 'Mech. BV (1.0) = 1,364, BV (2.0) = 1,553
- Based on the 11-C variant and first fielded in 3073, this Cyclops is a company command-level machine that carries a pair of C3 Master Computers. To make room for these massive computers, the Gauss Rifle, its ammunition, and some armor were replaced by a single ER PPC. This leaves the Cyclops slightly undergunned for an assault 'Mech, but it shouldn't be engaging the enemy closely anyway. BV (2.0) = 1,534
- A full redesign of the Cyclops, the 11-G was built by Grumium Creations for the Second Star League Defense Force, Com Guards and Free Rasalhague Republic. Debuting in 3058 it redesigns the chassis to use Endo Steel construction and also replaces the standard armor with fifteen tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. For long range combat it retains the Gauss Rifle and LRM-10 missile launcher minus one ton of missile reloads, while the arm-mounted medium lasers and center-torso SRM launcher were also upgraded to ER Medium Lasers and a Streak SRM-4 launcher. All ammunition for the weapons was also shifted to the right-side torso and uses CASE to protect itself from complete destruction in the event of an ammunition explosion. BV (1.0) = 1,761, BV (2.0) = 1,984
- An upgrade of the Cyclops that has come out of the Periphery, the 11-H was first sighted in 3064 among the ranks of Lady Death's pirates. The H is built on the standard 10-Z chassis but now carries eleven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and its weapons payload is heavily modified, carrying the standard Autocannon/20 and two medium lasers but replacing the rest for six Rocket Launcher 20s. This gives the 11-H the firepower to decimate anything that dares to close with it to attempt to make a kill. BV (1.0) = 1,333, BV (2.0) = 1,521
- The 12-K variant of the Cyclops takes the 'Mech to the logical conclusion based on equipment available to the DCMS. Also built by Grumium and introduced in 3059, the 'Mech is armed with an Ultra Autocannon/10 for close to intermediate range combat. In place of the LRM launcher it carries an MRM-20 launcher, which compliments the Autocannon's range profile, while retaining two ER medium lasers and a Streak SRM-4 for for close ranges. The 'Mech is also armored with fourteen and a half tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 1,511, BV (2.0) = 1,699
- Dual Cockpit refits: The Cyclops is one of the Capellan Confederation's preferred 'Mechs to install Dual Cockpits. Standard refits usually install the Dual Cockpit on a CP-10-Z or CP-11-A, removing one ton of autocannon or gauss rifle ammunition, respectively.
- In K. Kitsman's dossier from MechWarrior: Dark Age's Falcon's Prey accessory, Kitsman's Cyclops (Serial Number: LA5012-91F) is armed with a custom weapon configuration, consisting of a 360 rated Light Fusion Engine, Ultra AC/20, Delta Dart LRM-10 Launcher, ER PPC, and two Zippo Flamers. However, as it is a dossier only 'Mech, there are specifics missing and no record sheet of this particular 'Mech has been made as of this writing.
From MechWarrior Online:
- CP-S Sleipnir
- Named for the eight-legged horse ridden by the Norse god Odin, the Sleipnir is MWO's Hero 'Mech version of the Cyclops piloted by Ariana Winston of the Eridani Light Horse. Built around a 360 XL Engine and Endo Steel frame, Sleipnir is armed with Gauss Rifle in each side torso, SRM-4 in the center torso and a Medium Laser in each arm and the head. Carrying four tons of Gauss rounds and a single ton of SRM missiles, Sleipnir mounts fifteen Double Heat Sinks with the remaining weight used on armor. 
- Brigadier Carson Enright, Commanding Officcer of the 32nd Regiment of the Lyran Guards is noted as a highly disciplined commander who nonetheless uses risky and fluid tactics to surprise enemies.
- Sergeant Lenny Markbright was a member of the Waco Rangers who managed to keep the frail B-2000 battle computer of his cyclops in working condition. He operated as a tactical adviser for the headquarters lance of the Waco Rangers despite being non-commissioned personnel and thus holding only the rank of MechWarrior.
- General Ariana Winston, Commanding Officer of the Eridani Light Horse between 3045 to 3060, piloted a modified Cyclops which featured a dual-cockpit for command and coordination purposes. She is perhaps best known for assuming command of the reborn SLDF's Task Force Serpent after Morgan Hasek-Davion's assassination and leading the bloody campaign to destroy Clan Smoke Jaguar on their homeworld of Huntress, though she was killed during the effort.
- Captain William Cameron was Jaime Wolf's communications officer with Wolf's Dragoons, using a Cyclops to help coordinate the legendary mercenary unit. He was killed on Crossing during the Fourth Succession War.
- Captain Jason Cho, one of the antagonists from MechCommander 2, piloted a Cyclops up until perishing in a fatal duel with the player's mercenary forces.
- Lieutenant Colonel Scott Bradley did pilot a Cyclops when formed Bradley's Bravos and kept it when transferred back to the Kell Hounds.
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Zyklop. The model code was accordingly changed to ZP 10-C.
Original CP 10-Z Cyclops from TRO:3025
A Cyclops from TRO:3050
A CP-11-A Cyclops from TRO:3050 Upgrade
A token of a Cyclops from BattleTech Fourth Edition
A CP-10-Z Cyclops from Classic BattleTech Universe
A CP-10-Z Cyclops in motion from CCG
Model of a Cyclops from MWO
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 118
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 164-165
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 100
- Introductory Record Sheets, p. 23
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 84
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 252
- MUL online entry for the CP-11A-DC variant
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 115
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 116
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 117
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 143
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 144
- CBT Forums:"Cyclops 12-K errata wrong?"
- K. Kitsman dossier - MWDA Falcon's Prey - Kitsman 'Mech is unique but information remains incomplete.
- MechWarrior Online Cyclops Lore and Blueprint
- MechWarrior Online Cyclops Sale Page
- Embers of War p. 184
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Field Manual: Periphery
- Introductory Record Sheets
- MechWarrior Online Cyclops Lore and Blueprint
- MechWarrior Online Cyclops Sale Page
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085
- MWDA Republic of the Sphere Dossier of Leroy Rhoads
- MWDA Swordsworn's Dossier of K. Kitsman