- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Portland neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||91.271 : -508.604[e]|
|Recharge time||195 hours|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Planet Name
The Portland system was colonized by the Taurian Concordat during the Star League era, becoming a part of the Brinton Union. The Concordat was forced to abandon the system during the Second Succession War but the system was subsequently recolonized.
- 2366 - No record 
- 2571 - No record 
- 2578 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - Taurian Concordat 
- 2764 - Taurian Concordat 
- 2765 - Taurian Concordat 
- 2767 - Taurian Concordat 
- 2813 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2814 - Taurian Concordat (from March)
- 2822 - Taurian Concordat 
- 2864 - No record 
- 3025 - No record 
- 3030 - No record 
- 3040 - Independent world 
- 3050 - Independent world 
- 3052 - Independent world 
- 3057 - Independent world 
- 3059 - New Colony Region 
- 3063 - New Colony Region 
- 3067 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3079 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3075 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3081 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3085 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3088 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3130 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3135 - Fronc Reaches 
- 3145 - Fronc Reaches 
| Jump point
|Moons||3 (Stone, Rouge, Upshur)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||30°C (Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
Portland was originally an agricultural world settled during the Star League era, and exported food to support a number of nearby Taurian Concordat worlds. During the First Succession War Portland played a part in the only major conflict to occur between Periphery nations, the Taurian-Canopian War - also referred to variously as the Magistracy-Concordat Conflict and the Herotitus Crisis. The Magistracy Armed Forces deployed the First Canopian Light Horse to capture Portland in retaliation for Taurian Defense Force attacks on Detroit and Herotitus. Landing on Portland in 2813, the Light Horse dropped on the town of Carter's Mill before advancing to capture Cooperton, the planetary capital city. Portland's defenders consisted of the local militia, who lacked aerospace fighters to oppose the landings with, making capturing the planet relatively easy.
Having captured Portland, controlling the world proved rather more difficult. The Light Horse was happy to secure the capital and remain there, but the local responded by launching a guerrilla campaign. The militia had some 'Mechs and armored vehicles, although nowhere near as many as the Light Horse; to make up for that, the militia had a superior understanding of the local area, and launched insurgent attacks against the occupiers, easily avoiding attempts to capture them while continually springing traps. Pinning down the insurgents proved so difficult that the Light Horse contented itself with plundering Cooperton for supplies and food and falling back to their DropShips. Following a peace treaty agreed in February 2814, the Light Horse left, returning Portland to Taurian control.
As the Taurian economy suffered during the Succession Wars the Concordat was forced to abandon the world, but Portland was resettled by the Taurian Concordat and the Magistracy of Canopus as a part of the Treaty of Taurus and was incorporated into the New Colony Region. When the New Colony Region declared itself independent in 3066 Portland joined the newly-formed Fronc Reaches. As with the populations of the other Fronc Reaches worlds, the inhabitants of Portland were hopeful that trade agreements would lead to prosperity; in the case of Portland, the locals were keen to begin exporting food once more to those same Taurian worlds Portland had supported centuries before.
As with many other worlds within the Reaches, Portland found itself suffering from pirate attacks in the early years of the new realm, with shipping between Fronc and Portland being targeted by bandits in the late 3060s, leading to speculation that at least one pirate band was based on a nearby world or asteroid. The Holt's Hilltoppers mercenary unit would set down roots on Portland after being hired by the Fronc Reaches in 3067, funding civil projects from schools to roads to hospitals, leading some to call for the Hilltoppers commander Chief George Holt to run for governor in 3090. In 3088 the Shen-sè Tian pirate band would strike Portland, with the sole Hilltoppers battalion on world concealing their forces near the planet's capital to surprise the incoming pirates. While the ambush was successful, the Shen-sè Tian's ruthless Mongol tactics allowed them to break free, unaware that the loot they had taken was a ploy to trick the pirates into striking a supposedly secret factory being constructed on Independence.
Governor Katie Francis (3088)
- First Fronc Armor
Portland features four continents - Riverland, Medina, Jacobs' Land and Timberland. While the other three are covered with farms and major spaceports, the northern continent of Timberland is largely undeveloped and instead serves as a significant tourist destination for hunters, hikers and explorers. The smallest of the four, Jacob's Land is notable as being almost wholly owned the the Jacobs family, a family of farm barons who defend their territory from raiders and squatters alike.
Portland has three moons, two of which are habitable. Upshur is a mundane frigid rock while Rouge is more notable, a capture satellite in a retrograde orbit. Rouge has its own water-rich biosphere with many native plants and animal (up to birds) that are unique to this small moon.
Portland's planetary capital is Cooperton, with the Lovejoy Spaceport nearby surrounded by warehouses filled with processed order, precious foodstuffs and consumer products waiting to be loaded onto incoming DropShips.  Following Holt's Hilltoppers making Portland their home, promptly spawning a small village aptly named Holt near their headquarters. On the outskirts of this village mercenaries setup their military academy - the Hilltopper Academy - which already had to turn away applicants due to sheer volume. The Academy also trains Portland's militia, resulting in significant skill improvements. 
- WarPaint Inc. - Located in Stark Grove, an eastern suburb of Cooperton, WarPaint supplies high quality military paints.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
- Operation Turning Points: Fronc Reaches, p. 3 "Atlas - Portland"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery (1st Edition), pp. 61-62
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 100, "Irons in the Fire"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 96, "Taurian Concordat -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns After Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation After Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 121, "Taurian Concordat after Age of War , Fall of the Star League  and End of the 3rd Succession War "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 64
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 37, "Taurian Defense Forces Deployment Map - "
- First Succession War, p. 102-103, "Portland"
- The Periphery (Sourcebook), p. 151, "Maps of the Periphery"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns After Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation After Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns After Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation After Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 127, "Taurian Concordat after modern colonization drive  and after FedCom Civil War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 112, "Magistracy of Canopus & New Colony Region"
- Inner Sphere, p. 98, "Near Periphery Kingdoms Map""
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 20, "Magistracy of Canopus Region Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 100, "Marshals and Mercs: The Fronc Reaches Military"
- Operation Turning Points: Fronc Reaches, p. 12 "Combatants - Holt's Hilltoppers [Fronc Reaches]"
- Operation Turning Points: Fronc Reaches, p. 8 "Periphery Pirate Plague"
- Operation Turning Points: Fronc Reaches, p. 25 "Touchpoint: Mongols and Amerindians"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 152, "Fronc Reaches Sentinels"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 203, "Fronc Reaches"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Operational Turning Points: Fronc Reaches
- The Periphery, First Edition
- The Periphery, Second Edition