Herotitus nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||58.729 : -430.11[e]|
|Recharge time||184 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Nadir (3025)|
The Herotitus system was home to at least one habitable planet, Herotitus II, and (as of 3145) located in the Fronc Reaches. It was approximately 434 light-years from Terra in the rimward direction.[e]
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Herotitus II
- 5 Map Gallery
- 6 Nearby Systems
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
The Herotitus system was located near the Lyreton and Mandalas systems and consisted of a class G3IV primary orbited by at least two planets. During the thirty-first century, a recharge station was operating at the system's nadir jump point.
The Herotitus system was either settled during the Star League era, at some point after the end of the Reunification War, or was an already-inhabited system that became significant enough during this era that Inner Sphere nations began recording its location on maps.
- 2366 - No record
- 2571 - No record
- 2596 - No record
- 2750 - Independent world
- 2764 - Independent world
- 2765 - Independent world
- 2786 - Independent world
- 2822 - Independent world
- 2864 - Independent world
- 2890 - Independent world
- 3022 - Independent world
- 3025 - Independent world
- 3030 - Independent world
- 3040 - Independent world
- 3050 - Independent world
- 3052 - Independent world
- 3057 - Independent world
- 3058 - Independent world
- 3059 - Independent world
- 3063 - Independent world
- 3067 - Independent world
- 3075 - Independent world
- 3079 - Independent world
- 3081 - Independent world
- 3085 - Independent world
- 3096 - Fronc Reaches
- 3135 - Fronc Reaches
- 3145 - Fronc Reaches
|System position||2nd (of 4)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler||Gabriel Fur' Seng-Gang, President of the Council of Herotitus Libertines|
|Capital||New Hedron (3090)|
|HPG (Representative)||B (ComStar Representative: Precentor Maxwell Klanis)|
Herotitus II - more commonly known simply as Herotitus - is the second planet in the system.
Settled jointly by the Taurians and Canopians in the late twenty-sixth century just prior to the Reunification War, Herotitus was an agrarian world that prospered due to its proximity to Periphery trade routes, and escaped being engulfed in a full-scale war during the Succession Wars.
First Succession War
Herotitus held the dubious distinction of being involved in the only full-scale conflict to be fought between Periphery states during the First Succession War - or, for that matter, any of the Succession Wars. The Taurian-Canopian War - also referred to as the Herotitus Crisis or the 200-Hour War - was a brief and largely pointless campaign fought between the Magistracy of Canopus and the Taurian Concordat. The war was launched by Protector Semyon Calderon, who managed to convince the Privy Council that the acquisition of Herotitus and Detroit would expand the Concordat's resource base and help stave off an anticipated invasion by the Federated Suns.
Given the distances involved, Semyon's claims bordered on the farcical, but held the promise of recapturing systems that the hated Star League had removed from the Concordat. Herotitus was a resource-rich and self-sufficient world with a relatively low population at the time, and like Detroit and Spencer, had been assigned a kind of protectorate status by the Star League, which was largely indifferent to the system other than making efforts to monitor development activity that might produce additional resources. While the Star League existed, Herotitus had been administered by the Magistracy, but the military forces on the planet had been limited to simple paramilitary forces. With the collapse of the Star League, the Magistracy Armed Forces had quietly bolstered their presence on the planet. In June 2813, Semyon launched his ill-fated offensive, and a Taurian Defense Force departed Concordat space, bound for Herotitus.
The Second Pleiades Hussars were assigned to the invasion of Herotitus, supported by conventional forces and under the overall command of Comptroller Augustin Shapiro. From the outset, the invasion was marred by Shapiro's arrogance; the TDF task force arrived at the system zenith jump point and seized the recharge station there. Shapiro didn't bother to interdict or disrupt the station's communications, possibly in the belief that the arrival of his force represented an overwhelming display of strength that would intimidate the defenders. Whatever Shapiro's intentions, the results were deadly for the task force.
Given ample time to prepare for the arrival of the Hussars on the ground, the defenders launched aerospace fighters at the invaders as they entered the planetary atmosphere - fighters that the TDF's advance scouts had evidently completely failed to detect. Backed up by small craft and low-flying DropShips, the aerospace fighters savaged the inbound forces, destroying some and forcing others to crash land. The aerial interdiction was so effective that barely two companies of Hussar 'Mechs made it to the surface, along with half a mixed regiment of conventional forces. Shapiro was one of those killed during the approach to the planet, and the highest-ranking officer to survive the landing was Subaltern Josiah Brandamas of the Nineteenth New Vandenberg BattleMech Company. The catastrophic losses suffered during the approach rendered Brandamas' situation hopeless, and the surviving TDF personnel surrendered to the local garrison.
The swift Canopian retaliation for the invasion, along with news of the disastrous battle for Herotitus, resulted in a quickly-negotiated truce and an agreement that Detroit, Herotitus, and Spencer should all be reaffirmed as demilitarized systems. The prisoners captured on the various worlds involved were repatriated and Semyon was widely scorned by the media of both nations.
Third Succession War
In 2997, a hedonistic group from the Taurian Concordat, the New Hedons, arrived on planet and overthrew the government. Without touching the agrarian settlements, the Hedons established a large "pleasure industry", providing customers with physical and/or spiritual indulgence, to the point of excess. Taxation from the pleasure industry was reinvested to allow Herotitus to support increased traffic and demand. Concurrently, profits from export of foodstuffs also remained lucrative. The planet maintained these two distinct industries in strict isolation, and achieved economic success as a result.
FedCom Civil War
The 3060s saw a decline in prosperity on Herotitus, due to nascent hostilities between puritanical groups within the agrarian culture of Herotitus and the New Hedons. Though not widespread or intense, these hostilities had started to hurt the economies of both the pleasure industry and agricultural trade.
The 3060s were also marked by a new wave of morality that grew on Herotitus as a result of the work performed by Dr. Meschach Bronson, a former priest of the New Avalon Catholic Church. Bronson had left the NACC in the 3030s due to a doctrinal dispute arising during the Argyle Diet; on Herotitus, he led the Church of the Living Christ, a movement that made considerable headway in taming the excesses of the population and with them the planet's reputation. In 3067, the church was responsible for "taking back" three major cities on the world, successfully having laws passed that banned a number of the seedier activities that had been permissible in the past.
In the wake of the Jihad, a number of large and small Periphery nations established hiring halls on Herotitus, including the Magistracy of Canopus, Marian Hegemony, Calderon Protectorate, Filtvelt Coalition, and Fronc Reaches. The Fronc Reaches went so far as to guard their hiring hall with a permanent detachment from the Colonial Marshals, something that had a noticeable effect on the local black market. The Taurian Concordat was also going to some lengths to snatch up reliable mercenaries from Herotitus, due to the poor standard of those looking for work in the Concordat itself, a legacy of the governing military junta's poor treatment of mercenaries during the Concordat's war with the Federated Suns.
- Gabriel Fur' Seng-Gang, President of the Council of Herotitus Libertines
- Second Fronc Air Wing
- Second Fronc Armor
- New Hedron: the planetary capital city.
|Closest 40 systems (39 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- The Periphery, First Edition, p. 132: "Herotitus"
- Touring the Stars: Herotitus, p. 4
- First Succession War, p. 102: "Herotitus"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 121: "Taurian Concordat after Age of War , Fall of the Star League  and End of the Third Succession War "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17: "Capellan Confederation Foundation -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25: "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 37: "Taurian Defense Forces Deployment Map - "
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), p. 10: "The Aurigan Reach, circa 2765"
- First Succession War, pp. 24–25: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31: "Capellan Confederation After First Succession War -  Map"
- First Succession War, pp. 112–113: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39: "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), p. 12: "The Rimward Periphery - Map Placed on File 21-07-2890"
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), pp. 14–15: "3022 Interstellar Expeditions. IAAS-349-SIFNM97-MMMXXII"
- The Periphery, First Edition, p. 157: "Map of the Periphery"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40: "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49: "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 127: "Taurian Concordat after modern colonization drive  and after FedCom Civil War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60: "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 112: "Magistracy of Canopus & Tortuga Dominions"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68: "Capellan Confederation After FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 63: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 20: "Magistracy of Canopus Region Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere - "
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 48
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Marshal Way - Part 2, p. 6
- First Succession War, pp. 101–102: "The Taurian-Canopian War (2813-2814)"
- First Succession War, p. 103: "Aftermath"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 11
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 198: "Lesser Periphery States"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 48: "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 156: "State Halls"
- Star Lord, ch. 10
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 66: "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 161: "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 203: "Fronc Reaches"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- The Marshal Way
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- The Periphery, First Edition
- The Periphery, Second Edition
- Star Lord