12th Vegan Rangers
|12th Vegan Rangers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
Nelson was inspired by the book "Eleven Against the Stars" written by Loran, a Ranger in the Vega System. Loran was one of eleven Rangers, men who plied the long lonely routes between the two inhabited planets within the system. Nelson, on the run from enemies of his family, named himself the 12th Vegan Ranger. In this guise he started to build a mercenary unit to support his struggle to reclaim his birthright. Hence the 12th Vegan Rangers were born.
The 12th Vegan Rangers live by four main codes of behavior set out in Loran's book.
- A Ranger lives simply and honestly without delusions or manias
- A Ranger values loyalty, but does not follow others blindly
- A Ranger must serve people, and not corporations
- Above all, a Ranger must be free to follow his own destiny
Nelson had a sense of purpose and charisma that allowed him to recruit the best Mechwarriors at a fraction of their market salary.
The 12th Vegan Rangers are most famous for their part in The Galtor Campaign on, what was then, the disputed border between the Federated Suns and the Draconis Combine. They staged a nighttime combat drop on the 17th Benjamin Regulars position, which allowed the surrounded 33rd Avalon Hussars to escape. A month later, they had to drop on the Seventeenth again, this time to prevent a breakout. The Rangers also faced the 1st Amphigean Light Assault Group and 5th Galedon Regulars regiments in this breakout. The Rangers and Bremond Draconis March Militia prevented the three Combine regiments from reinforcing the 5th Sword of Light. The Rangers were also able to seize control of a Star League-era supply depot that the Fifth Sword of Light had taken. Shortly after this, the Twelfth were replaced by two other Draconis March Militia units and they withdrew to Verde to rebuild.
The 12th Vegan Rangers were an important part of the thrust into Capellan territory during the Fourth Succession War and were finally stationed on four of the conquered worlds for at least four years after that.
From 3068 to the end of the Jihad, Alpha Regiment defended Raman against every DCMS and Word of Blake attempt to conquer the world. Beta Regiment played a mayor part against the Blakist invaders on New Avalon during the 1st and Second battle of New Avalon. Gamma Regiment was destroyed during Operation Sovereign Justice on Jaipur in 3068 by the efforts of the First and Second St. Ives Lancers.
The Twelfth conducted a reconnaissance raid on Addicks in early 3077 that nearly saw them rout the defending Word of Blake forces single handed, and resulted in the commanding officer of the Federated Suns theater of Operation SCOUR, Field Marshal Katheryn Sandoval-Ito, bringing the planned invasion of Addicks forward four full weeks. They later joined Task Force Sickle, and as part of the invasion of Terra they hit the Texas Highlands.
In 3079 their frequent combat duties had reduced them to a regiment-sized formation, and they were only at two-thirds of their nominal strength. They were working to rebuild on New Hessen after distinguishing themselves in the heavy fighting of the North America campaign on Terra during Operation SCOUR. In 3085 they were stationed on Benet III. They were at 85% of their nominal regimental strength but were also an elite unit.
The end of the Jihad and the formation of the Republic of the Sphere ushered in an era that proved difficult for the rebuilt Vegan Rangers, just as it did for other mercenary units of significant size. Struggling financially, by the beginning of the thirty-second century the Rangers had reached the point where they were hiring out company and battalion sized elements of the Rangers as detachments to be able to pay their bills.
When General Miller al-Nahib retired in 3116 and his daughter Della al-Wahib assumed command she took the opportunity to break with the Federated Suns and seek better opportunities; this led the Rangers to take up contracts with the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, spending two decades upgrading and augmenting their forces while enjoying a relatively quiet, unexciting tour of service.
The Twelfth Vegan Rangers were hired by Jacob Bannson in 3133 to reinforce the defense of Vega against the Fifth Sword of Light and 44th Benjamin Regulars. The Rangers fought the DCMS units alongside the Vega Regulars and elements of Clan Ghost Bear. They successfully drove the DCMS from Vega, and the Rangers accepted a permanent home on Vega. The Rangers assisted Galaxy Commander Isis Bekker-Florala in forming the Vega Protectorate; the Rangers repulsed a second Combine attack in 3137, claiming more 'Mechs as salvage for their stockpile and soundly defeating the Fifth Sword of Light once again. The Rangers finally left the Vega Protectorate in 3141 when it was strong enough to stand alone and returned to serving in the Federated Suns once more.
In December 3144 the Twelfth Vegan Rangers were stationed on Chesterton when the Capellan Confederation launched an invasion of the Federated Suns; the Twelfth were quickly forced off Chesterton by the Fifth McCarron's Armored Cavalry and the Green Knights. The Vegan Rangers were also unfortunate in their defense of Ulan Batar against the First Liao Grenadiers, with the Liao Grenadiers quickly forcing the Rangers into the forests and mountains; this was one of the actions that prevented the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns from launching counterattacks to try and recapture Chesterton or Tikonov. The Grenadiers kept the Rangers bottled up for months, adding to the destabilization of the Capellan March.
Traditionally the commander of Alpha Regiment commands the entire 12th Vegan Rangers brigade.
|Commanding Officers of Alpha Regiment (12th Vegan Rangers)|
|Duke||Lawrence Helmund Nelson||2829|
|General||Sheridan Douglass||3025 - 3048|
|General||Tom Stancel||3048 - 3054|
|General||Miller al-Nahib||3085 - 3116|
|General||Della al-Nahib||3116 - 3145|
The Rangers are specialized in city defense and assault tactics, Alpha Regiment can fight in any terrain.
During the Galtor Campaign, the Twelfth Vegan Rangers were skilled at night-fighting.
In 3145, despite the extensive battles against Capellan forces the Rangers still had access to the best Federated Suns technology, making use of a wide range of 'Mechs to create well-structured lances and deploying in flexible structures.
12th Vegan Rangers (4 regiments/Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Margrave Sheridan Douglass
By 3025, the 12th Vegan Rangers had been recently expanded to become four independent regiments.
12th Vegan Rangers
In 3054, the 12th Vegan Rangers are listed as fielding four regiments in the Sarna March of the Federated Commonwealth, Palos Operations Area, Corey Command:
12th Vegan Rangers (Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Della al-Nahib
- - At this point in time the Rangers were at eighty-five percent of full strength. An "A"-rated mercenary command, the Rangers were under contract to the Federated Suns and stationed in the Ulan Batar system.
- According to The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, a very early BattleTech scenario pack, the 12th Vegan Rangers were part of a Draconis Combine forces that attacked the Federated Suns in May 3020. It does not fit with the unit's profile to hire out to the enemy of their home realm, and it was officially confirmed that their mentioning in the opposing force of the scenario in question "was probably another of those wacky early BattleTech continuity mishaps" and that the 12th Vegan Rangers were probably mixed up with the Draconis Combine's Legion of Vega in this instance.
- If the Twelfth Vegan Rangers make up fifty percent or less of a deployed force, and if the Rangers don't deploy until turn 4 or earlier, the Rangers receive a -1 bonus to all attack rolls and a -1 target modifier to all piloting skill checks.
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 10
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 11
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 13
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 36, "S.O.S."
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 20
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 179, "Twelfth Vegan Rangers"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 125 (Federated Suns Map)
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 160
- Dark Age Turning Points: Vega, p. 6
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 32, "Fifth McCarron's Armored Cavalry"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 41, "First Liao Grenadiers"
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised, p. 107 12th Vegan Rangers
- 20 Year Update, p. 23
- Objective Raids, p. 17, "Lyran Commonwealth State Command"
- Dark Age Turning Points: Vega, p. 9
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 182, "Notable Mercenary Forces - Federated Suns"
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised p. 108 Tactics
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 6
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 138
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 141
- Objective Raids, p. 17
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, p. 27
- In this posting on the official BattleTech forum
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 211, "Mercenaries"
- 20 Year Update
- Dark Age Turning Points: Vega
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised
- Field Manual: Mercenaries
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon
- Objective Raids
- The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders
- The Galtor Campaign