12th Vegan Rangers
|12th Vegan Rangers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
Formed during the 1st Succession War, sometime prior to Summer 2829, by Lawrence Helmund Nelson, rightful Duke of Verde.
Nelson was inspired by the book "Eleven Against the Stars" written by Loran, a Ranger in the Vega System. Loran was one of eleven Rangers, men who plied the long lonely routes between the two inhabited planets within the system. Nelson, on the run from enemies of his family, named himself the 12th Vegan Ranger. In this guise he started to build a mercenary unit to support his struggle to reclaim his birthright. Hence the 12th Vegan Rangers were born.
The 12th Vegan Rangers live by four main codes of behavior set out in Loran's book.
- A Ranger lives simply and honestly without delusions or manias
- A Ranger values loyalty, but does not follow others blindly
- A Ranger must serve people, and not corporations
- Above all, a Ranger must be free to follow his own destiny
Nelson had a sense of purpose and charisma that allowed him to recruit the best Mechwarriors at a fraction of their market salary.
The 12th Vegan Rangers are most famous for their part in The Galtor Campaign on, what was then, the disputed border between the Federated Suns and the Draconis Combine. They staged a nighttime combat drop on the 17th Benjamin Regulars position, which allowed the surrounded 33rd Avalon Hussars to escape. A month later, they had to drop on the Seventeenth again, this time to prevent a breakout. The Rangers also faced the 1st Amphigean Light Assault Group and 5th Galedon Regulars regiments in this breakout. The Rangers and Bremond Draconis March Militia prevented the three Combine regiments from reinforcing the 5th Sword of Light. The Rangers were also able to seize control of a Star League-era supply depot that the Fifth Sword of Light had taken. Shortly after this, the Twelfth were replaced by two other Draconis March Militia units and they withdrew to Verde to rebuild.
The 12th Vegan Rangers were an important part of the thrust into Capellan territory during the Fourth Succession War and were finally stationed on four of the conquered worlds for at least four years after that.
 The Jihad
From 3068 to the end of the Jihad, Alpha Regiment defended Raman against every DCMS and Word of Blake attempt to conquer the world. Beta Regiment played a mayor part against the Blakist invaders on New Avalon during the 1st and Second battle of New Avalon. Gamma Regiment was destroyed during Operation Sovereign Justice on Jaipur in 3068 by the efforts of the First and Second St. Ives Lancers.
The Twelfth conducted a reconnaissance raid on Addicks in early 3077 that nearly saw them rout the defending Word of Blake forces single handed, and resulted in the commanding officer of the Federated Suns theater of Operation SCOUR, Field Marshal Katheryn Sandoval-Ito, bringing the planned invasion of Addicks forward four full weeks. They later joined Task Force Sickle, and as part of the invasion of Terra they hit the Texas Highlands.
In 3079 their frequent combat duties had reduced them to a regiment-sized formation, and they were only at two-thirds of their nominal strength. They were working to rebuild on New Hessen. In 3085 they were stationed on Benet III. They were at 85% of their nominal regimental strength but were also an elite unit.
 Dark Age
The Twelfth Vegan Rangers were hired by Jacob Bannson to reinforce the defense of Vega against the 5th Sword of Light and 44th Benjamin Regulars. The Rangers fought the DCMS units alongside the Vega Regulars and elements of Clan Ghost Bear. They successfully drove the DCMS from Vega, and the Rangers accepted a permanent home on Vega.
In 2829 the commanding officer was Lawrence Helmund Nelson, Duke of Verde. 3025 found Commander Sheridan Douglass, Margrave of Verde, leading the unit. By 3050 the commanding officer was General Tom Stancel, who was still in command in 3054. In 3085 the Twelfth Vegan Rangers were commanded by General Miller al-Nahib.
The Rangers are specialized in city defense and assault tactics, Alpha Regiment can fight in any terrain.
During the Galtor Campaign, the Twelfth Vegan Rangers were skilled at night-fighting.
 Composition History
12th Vegan Rangers (4 regiments/Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Margrave Sheridan Douglass
By 3025, the 12th Vegan Rangers had been recently expanded to become four independent regiments.
Alpha Regiment (Regiment/Elite/Reliable)
Beta Regiment (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
Gamma Regiment (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
Delta Regiment (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
In 3054, the 12th Vegan Rangers are listed as fielding four regiments in the Sarna March of the Federated Commonwealth, Palos Operations Area, Corey Command:
12th Vegan Rangers (Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Della al-Nahib
 Individual Combat units
Alpha Regiment, commanded by Margrave Douglass during The Galtor Campaign, is a very traditional Elite Assault Regiment combining 'Mechs and Hover/Tracked Vehicles with independent Aerospace/Dropship support.
- Regimental Battlegroup: 2 assault lances (elite), heavy lance (elite), 4 vehicle lances
- Marino's Air Squadron: Heavy wing (elite), 2 Light wings (elite)
- Hover vehicle recovery company, tracked vehicle company
- DropShip defense company: Assault lance (veteran), medium lance (elite), support vehicles
- Bragg's Battalion: Battalion HQ - 1 heavy lance (elite)
- Bragg's Battalion: Cullom's Company - 2 assault lances, heavy lance (all elite)
- Bragg's Battalion: O'Donnell's Company - 2 heavy lances (1 elite, 1 veteran), medium lance (veteran)
- Bragg's Battalion: Summer's Company - 3 medium lances (2 veteran, 1 regular)
- Johnston's Battalion: Battalion HQ - 1 medium lance (elite)
- Johnston's Battalion: Brennon's Company - 1 assault lance, 2 heavy lances (all elite)
- Johnston's Battalion: Mandell's Company - 2 heavy lances, 1 light lance (all veteran)
- Johnston's Battalion: Dargis's Company - 3 medium lances (all veteran)
- McCulloch's Battalion: Battalion HQ - 1 heavy lance (elite)
- McCulloch's Battalion: Murphy's Company - 1 assault lance, 2 heavy lances (all elite)
- McCulloch's Battalion: Kellem's Company - 1 heavy lance (veteran), 2 light lances (regular)
- McCulloch's Battalion: O'Toole's Company - 2 medium lances (regular), 1 light lance (veteran)
- According to The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, a very early BattleTech scenario pack, the 12th Vegan Rangers were part of a Draconis Combine forces that attacked the Federated Suns in May 3020. It does not fit with the unit's profile to hire out to the enemy of their home realm, and it was officially confirmed that their mentioning in the opposing force of the scenario in question "was probably another of those wacky early BattleTech continuity mishaps" and that the 12th Vegan Rangers were probably mixed up with the Draconis Combine's Legion of Vega in this instance.
- ↑ Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 10
- ↑ Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 11
- ↑ Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 13
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 36, "S.O.S."
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- ↑ Field Report: AFFS, p. 20
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 125 (Federated Suns Map)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Field Manual: 3085, p. 160
- ↑ Dark Age Turning Points: Vega, p. 6
- ↑ 20 Year Update, p. 23
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Objective Raids, p. 17, "Lyran Commonwealth State Command"
- ↑ Dark Age Turning Points: Vega, p. 9
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Field Manual: 3145, p. 182, "Notable Mercenary Forces - Federated Suns"
- ↑ Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised p. 108 Tactics
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 6
- ↑ House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 138
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 Historical: War of 3039 , p. 141
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 Objective Raids, p. 17
- ↑ The Fox's Teeth: Exploits of McKinnon's Raiders, p. 27
- ↑ In this posting on the official BattleTech forum
- 20 Year Update
- Dark Age Turning Points: Vega
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised
- Field Manual: Mercenaries
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon
- Objective Raids
- The Galtor Campaign