- Harmony Gold and Piranha Games Have Settled - Probably
- The Succession Wars and so much more…
- MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament Announced With Stock ‘Mech Restriction
- BattleTech Devs Talk About Making Game On A Budget
- Catalyst's BattleTech Lead Brent Evans Interviewed On Upcoming Box Sets
- Read more →
|Type||Ballistic (Direct Fire)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Year Availability||2250 (TH)|
|Ammo Per Ton||20|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||4,500|
|BV (2.0)|| 70|
The Autocannon is a direct-fire ballistic weapon, firing HEAP (High-Explosive Armor-Piercing) rounds at targets either singly or in bursts.
Different manufacturers and models of autocannons have different calibers (25mm-203mm) and rates of fire. Due to this, autocannons are grouped into generic "classes" of autocannons with common damage ratings, with Autocannon/5s usually having a long range with a small to moderate damage level.
An example of the rating system: the Crusher Super Heavy Cannon is a 150mm weapon firing ten shells per "shot", while the Chemjet Gun is a 185mm weapon firing much slower, but causing higher damage. Despite their differences, both are classified as Autocannon/20s due to their damage output.
An Autocannon/5 can use special munitions to increase its effectiveness.
Designed for the Terran Alliance, the prototype version of this cannon was among first autocannons ever made. It first appeared in 2240 and was designed to improve the Alliance's military arsenal cope with newer armor being introduced during the time. Examples of the Prototype AC/5 being used was on the Saturn-Class Patrol Ship in 2243.
The Autocannon/5 is manufactured on the following planets:
- TechManual, pp. 207-208, "Autocannons"
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- Interstellar Operations, p. 217 Additional Alternate Era Weapons and Equipment - "Prototype AC/5 introduction year noted in Table."
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2, pp. 14 & 31 "Saturn Patrol Ship"