Dire Wolf (Daishi)
|Manufacturer||Wolf Clan Site #1|
|Chassis||Titan HX Standard|
|Armor||Compound 12B2 Standard|
|Engine||Starfire 300 XL|
The Dire Wolf is one of the OmniMechs that became feared throughout the Inner Sphere during the initial Clan Invasion, and rightly so. The Dire Wolf weighs in at an impressive one hundred tons and has a relatively slow cruising speed of 54 km/h provided by a 300 XL engine. Its speed and armor protection matches that of an Atlas, but it has superior potential firepower with fifty and a half tons of free pod space for weapons and equipment. It is these traits which saw the 'Mech christened Daishi (Japanese for "Great Death") by the criminal underbelly of the Draconis Combine, a name that would be proven grimly accurate time and time again.
The Dire Wolf was the brain-child of the Clan Wolf scientist caste, but was actually first produced by Clan Smoke Jaguar. Hearing rumors that Clan Wolf was developing the "Ultimate Assault OmniMech", the Jaguars won the plans and production rights in a trial that, rumor has it, was fought dishonorably. Production commenced on Huntress in 3010. In 3019, Clan Wolf began production of the OmniMech on Strana Mechty as well; Star Colonel Ulric won a trial of possession to expand manufacture into Clan Wolf. Beyond the limited manufacture of the Dire Wolf on Outreach, all Dire Wolves outside of Clans Smoke Jaguar and Wolf (or the Wolf's Dragoons) are either gifts, isorla, or were acquired through trade.
In its primary configuration, the Dire Wolf carries an extensive long range payload that is backed up by good close combat weapons. The primary long range weapons are four ER Large Lasers which give the Dire Wolf an impressive long range punch. These are backed up by two Ultra Autocannon/5s for even more direct fire capability and an LRM-10 launcher giving the Dire Wolf some indirect fire capabilities. For close combat, the Dire Wolf has a simple yet effective array of four Medium Pulse Lasers.
 Alternate Configurations
- Alt Config A - The A configuration of the Dire Wolf is configured to engage its enemies at a variety of ranges. The primary long range weapon carried in this configuration is a Gauss Rifle. This is backed up by three impressive Large Pulse Lasers which are effective at any range. For close combat, the A configuration carries two Streak SRM-6 launchers and for additional defense against incoming missiles it carries an Anti-Missile System. BV (1.0) = 2,689, BV (2.0) = 2,896
- Alt. Config. B - The B configuration is armed for long range engagements with four Ultra Autocannon/2s which have a reach of 810 meters and are backed up by a pair of ER PPCs for even greater punch. An LB-X Autocannon/10 provides excellent medium to long range firepower and allows the Dire Wolf B to act in a variety of roles including vehicle hunting and anti-aircraft. For close combat, the B configuration has two Medium Pulse Lasers and an ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 2,127, BV (2.0) = 2,609
- Alt. Config. C - The C configuration is configured to be highly mobile and flexible. The Dire Wolf C can jump up to ninety meters. The primary weapons carried are a pair of ER PPCs. These are supported by two new ATM 6 launchers which are capable of firing missiles that are intended for short, intermediate, and long ranges. The C configuration also carries four Medium Pulse Lasers and a single shot Streak SRM-4 launcher. The direct fire weapons are all linked to a Targeting Computer, increasing their lethality, and the C configuration is protected from enemy electronic warfare equipment with an ECM Suite. BV (1.0) = 3,290, BV (2.0) = 3,610
- Alt. Config. D - This variant mounts two of the largest weapons in the Clan arsenal: the HAG 40. Ten tons of ammunition ensure that the 'Mech will not quickly run out. The uncharacteristically light backup weapons include a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, a Streak SRM-6, and a single ER Small Laser. BV (2.0) = 3,403
- Alt. Config. H - A simple direct fire configuration of the Dire Wolf, the H configuration carries a pair of Gauss Rifles as its primary long range weaponry. These are backed up by two Heavy Large Lasers for medium to short ranges. Finally, for short range combat, the H configuration has a Medium Pulse Laser and a Flamer. All of this configuration's weapons are linked to a Targeting Computer, increasing their accuracy. BV (1.0) = 2,517, BV (2.0) = 2,992
- Alt. Config. S - The S configuration is intended for the close confines of urban and jungle warfare. The S configurations primary weapon is a massive LB-X Autocannon/20 which is capable of disabling most light and medium 'Mechs in a single blast. This is backed up by a single Large Pulse Laser to provide some long range firepower should the Dire Wolf S be caught in the open. Additional short range firepower is provided by five Medium Pulse Lasers and two Streak SRM-4 launchers. Two Anti-Personnel Pods and two Machine Guns provide exceptional anti infantry capabilities. The S configuration has added mobility with three jump jets allowing it to jump up to ninety meters. BV (1.0) = 2,875, BV (2.0) = 2,985
- Alt. Config. U - The U configuration is configured for underwater combat. It makes use of the experimental BattleMech HarJel System, MASS, and a trio of UMUs allow it to travel underwater as quickly as it walks on land. The weapons load has been optimized for sub-surface combat as well: A trio of SRT-6 launchers appears in each side torso while each arm mounts an ER PPC and pair of Medium Pulse Lasers. The beam weapons are tied into a Targeting Computer. BV (2.0) = 3,360
- Alt. Config. W - This Wolf's Dragoons variant is effective at both long and short range. For long range, it uses a Gauss Rifle, an ER Large Laser, and an LRM-20. At close range, an Ultra Autocannon/20, ER Small Laser, and a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers provide devastating firepower. Twenty double heat sinks allow the design to almost continually fire all of its weapons. BV (2.0) = 2,951
- Alt. Config. X - This variant carries a Targeting Computer to guide the fire of a Large Pulse Laser, Heavy Medium Laser, twin ER Micro Lasers, an Ultra AC/10 and the solid shot of an LB 5-X autocannon. To provide missile support, the Daishi X carries an ATM 6 with a ton of each ammunition type, a head mounted Streak SRM-2, and an SRM-4 and LRM-15. The SRM-4 and LRM-15 are each equipped with an Artemis IV FCS. BV (2.0) = 2,645
 Custom Configurations
Note: due to their inclusion in Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League) the Hohiro, Prometheus and Widowmaker are considered tournament-legal.
- Hohiro - The Hohiro configuration of the Dire Wolf is used by Hohiro Kurita and has a mixed long and short range weapons profile. For long range hitting power, an ER PPC and a Gauss Rifle provide overwhelming punch. To engage enemies at long to medium ranges, three Large Pulse Lasers are carried. One ER Small Laser and one Streak SRM-6 round out this configuration with some short range punch. BV (1.0) = 2,676, BV (2.0) = 3,048
- Prometheus - The preferred configuration of Archon-Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, the Prometheus configuration carries a blistering array of weapons that increases its damage potential as it closes range. The primary long range weapons are a pair of ER Large Lasers supported by three Large Pulse Lasers. For close combat, an Ultra Autocannon/20 and a SRM-6 launcher are carried. BV (1.0) = 2,319, BV (2.0) = 2,900
- Widowmaker - The preferred configuration of the Black Widow Natasha Kerensky, the Widowmaker can do a great deal of damage at any range. Two ER PPCs are mounted for long range combat. These are backed up by a pair of Large Pulse Lasers. For close combat, the Widowmaker carries three ER Medium Lasers, an ER Small Laser, and an Ultra Autocannon/20. This mix of weaponry served Natasha Kerensky well until her death at the hands of Jade Falcon Star Commander Joanna. The Widowmaker now rests on the floor of the Great Gash on Twycross, in silent memorial to its legendary pilot. BV (1.0) = 2,534, BV (2.0) = 3,041
- Lone Wolf - The variant Phelan Wolf used during his Trial of Position to test out for the Warrior Caste. Configured by Khan Natasha Kerensky (who was piloting her Widowmaker in the same Trial), the Lone Wolf variant was armed with a one-shot SRM-6 launcher, two LRM-20 launchers with Swarm LRMs, an LB-X Autocannon/10 with cluster munitions, a Gauss Rifle, and three Medium Pulse Lasers. The 'Mech was heavily damaged during the Trial and not used by Phelan again.
 Related OmniMechs
- Hauptmann - The Lyran Alliance based the design of its first OmniMech on captured Dire Wolf OmniMechs.
Victor Steiner-Davion's Prometheus
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Combat Operations, p. 108
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 144-145, "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 147
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 42-43, "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 40-41, "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 110
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 148
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 149
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 157
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 150
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 151
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 238
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 152
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 241
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 153
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 150
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 154
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 155
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 239
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 156
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 240
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 157
- ↑ Operation Audacity, p. 193
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 158
- ↑ Blood Legacy, pp. 185-197
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3060, p. 128
- Blood Legacy (Novel)
- Combat Operations
- Operation Audacity (Novel)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060