3rd Donegal Guards
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Third Donegal Guards RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|Nickname||Tyneside Brigade (2765)|
The Justice Brigade (3067)
|Parent Formation||Donegal Guards|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
A prestigious and efficient unit, albeit with a notable history of uneven leadership, command of the elite Third Donegal Guards is a much coveted post. Ever since their participation in the celebrations marking the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth's 100th anniversary, the Third has used the Scales of Justice as their unit emblem and been known as "The Justice Brigade".  The emblem and regimental patch were adopted to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the Commonwealth Supreme Court on Donegal, the Third having played a major role in the celebrations in 2643. 
As an example of the Third's abilities with competent leadership, thanks to the unorthodox tactics of its then commander James Hipper, the unit won a significant victory on Shirotori during the Fourth Succession War.  
First and Second Succession Wars
The Third was based on Ridderkirk throughout the First Succession War, during which it was reduced to less than half strength. It was still garrisoned there, having been restored to just over three-quarters of its authorized strength, when the next conflict erupted. 
In 2863, during the Second Succession War the Third, with two other Mech regiments, including the Stealths, retook Sakhalin from Combine forces who had held the world since 2860. When the war ended a year later the unit had been reduced to less than a quarter of its authorized strength and had transferred from Ridderkerk (which had fallen to the Combine) to Pencader.
Fourth Succession War
As part of Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG the Third Guards deployed from their homeworld of Menkent at the beginning of the Fourth Succession War launching attacks on Orestes then Grumium and finally, Shirotori. During the invasion of Orestes the Third operated alongside the Fourth Lyran Regulars, and the two regiments were joined by the Twenty-second Skye Rangers for the assault on Grumium. The conquest of Grumium was considered a significant emotional victory, as Grumium had been a Lyran world prior to being conquered by the Combine.
On Shirotori the Third faced the First Proserpina Hussars after Colonel Walter Lestrade was recalled in February 3029 and replaced by the less experienced Colonel James Lancelot Hipper who arrived to take command in March. The Third Guards had taken control of most of the country side while the Hussars held Shirotori's three major cities. The First Proserpina Hussars outnumbered the Third but refused to gather their forces to avoid leaving the cities undefended and instead used their supperior reconnaissance to perform flanking and hit-and-run attacks on the massed Guards forces. Using intelligence gathered from captured messengers and a captured Combine supply convoy Colonel Hipper was able to infiltrate two lances of 'Mechs into the city of Meijer where the Hussars' commander, Tai-sa Hirohito had established his headquarters. While two companies made a diversionary attack on the city of Brusk the infiltrated lances attacked the Hussars' command bunker and the rest of the Guards struck the city perimiter. While the two infiltrated lances were destroyed by the Combine defenders they killed the Hussars' CO and half of his command staff leaving only inexperienced officers in command. Meijer was in LCAF control two days later. The remaining Hussars retreated a week later.
War of 3039
Clan Invasion and Lyran Succession
Serving as a cautionary tale on liabilities of Lyran's trademark Social Generals, arrogant CO Thanom Hammerskjold's questionable plan relied on overpowering the Liao unit with superior numbers, only for the Warrior House troops to consistently outmanoeuvre and lure the heavier RCT in endless ambushes, forcing to Third to overextend their forces and allowing the Imarra troops to inflict significant losses. While more capable members of the units command staff began to take over and adapted their tactics to counter the Capellans, Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion's succession of the Lyran Alliance and recall of Lyran units prompted the Third to return home. 
The Third was part of the Lyran contribution to Operation Bulldog, the unit eager to vent their frustrations at their withdrawal from Styk. Launching from Bicester, the Third Donegal joined the elite Second Genyosha and First St. Ives Lancers in attacking the Clan Smoke Jaguar world of Tarazed during Bulldog's first wave,  defended by Epsilon Galaxy's Seventh Jaguar Dragoons.   
While the 7th Dragoons receiving some degree of warning to prepare for the incoming SLDF forces, they made the fatal mistake of granting them safcon in response to task force commander Kai Allard-Liao's batchall and called back their AeroSpace Fighters. The 7th compounded their mistake by selecting the network of canyons in the Krychek Mountains to face the SLDF, not realising the location favoured the much large SLDF forces. While the Star League task force ultimately defeated outmatched 7th Dragoons,  the Third Donegal Guards suffered above-average casualties in the process and were sidelined for the rest of the Bulldog.  
FedCom Civil War
During the FedCom Civil War the Third Donegal defeated Argyle's Lancers on Crimond, later moving to Cumbres in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to defend Tharkad against moves from units from the Arc-Royal Defense Cordon.  The Third, like most of the Donegal Guards Brigade, sided with Katherine Steiner-Davion during the Civil War.
Ordered to disarm and detain the Argyle Lancers the Third deployed from their post on Pandora in late April 3063, landing on Crimond on 7 May. The Lancers' CO had pulled his forces into Fort Beaufort (a LAAF test base) and mined the surrounding area in expectation of the Third's arrival. Leutnant-General Power dropped the RCT and closed on the Lancers' positions but their advance was stalled by the minefields. The Lancers' managed to inflict heavy losses on the immobilized Guards brigades using hit-and-run attacks for several days. Eventually the Third was able to break through the minefields and assault the base directly. The Lancers withdrew into the base testing area where they used live-fire targets and stripped hulks of discarded 'Mechs and tanks to confuse and slow the Third's advance. After two weeks of pursuit the Third destroyed the remaining Lancers on the Dreyan Flats.
In early 3067 Morgan Kell hired several small mercenary companies to hold the Third on Cumbres and prevent them from moving to support Tharkad. The mercenary forces seized vital resources on 3 February and soon had the Third Guards chasing them across the planet. One of the mercenary companies began acting as bandit raiders, while disguising themselves as members of other companies, causing the Third to begin treating all mercenaries on Cumbres as pirates and leading to incidents of fighting between mercenary companies. The infighting weakened the mercenaries enough to allow the Third Donegal to prevail but kept them tied up long enough to prevent the Third from aiding the defense of Tharkad.
The Third met its end in the Word of Blake Jihad unsuccessfully attempting to defend its brigade's namesake world of Donegal from Blakist forces. After the world was recaptured, the survivors of the Third were merged into the Second Donegal Guards RCT. 
|Commanding Officers of the 3rd Donegal Guards|
|Colonel||Walter Lestrade||3025 - February 3029|
|Colonel||James Lancelot Hipper||Fourth Succession War|
|Leutnant-General||Wendell Power||3058 - 3067|
The sheer size of the RCT give the CO a wide range of opportunities. Open-field engagements are preferred as it allows the Third's size and firepower to be used to best effect. The commander trusts his subordinates and gives them freedom to decide the best course of action for their unit.
3rd Donegal Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
3rd Donegal Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- Note: At this point in time the heavy-weight unit was stationed on Ridderkerk. In 2821 the command was reduced to 43 percent of its strength and was deployed on Ridderkerk. 
3rd Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite/Reliable)
- Note: At this point in time the assault-weight unit was stationed on Ridderkerk with an operational readiness of 78 percent. 
3rd Donegal Guards Regiment/(Elite/Reliable)
- Note: At this point in time the assault-weight unit was stationed on Pencader with an operational readiness of 22 percent. 
3rd Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite/Questionable)
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Menkent.
3rd Donegal Guards RCT (Regiment/Elite/Reliable)
3rd Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite/Reliable) 
3rd Donegal Guards (Regiment/Elite Reliable/) 
- CO: Hauptmann General Thanom Hammerskjold 
- Note: At this point in time the command was stationed on Styk. 
3rd Donegal Guards Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Veteran/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Megumi Arimoto
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Therese Lascelles
- 14th Donegal Armored Cavalry Regiment: Colonel Franklin Burleigh
- 11th Donegal Panzer Regiment: Colonel Kathi Frey
- 9th Styk Armor Regiment: Colonel Connor Campell-Glencairn
3rd Donegal Guards Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Elite/Reliable)
CO: Colonel Abdul Kalamaty
Aide: Leutnant Colonel Surrey Jackson
- 72nd Donegal Mechanized Rifles: Colonel Dane Sunderland
- 93rd Donegal Mechanized Rifles: Colonel Claire Walby
- 401st Lyran Heavy Infantry Regiment: Colonel Olinda Wakambu
- 17th Pandora Mounted Rifles: Colonel Yusuf Saltoun
- 77th Donegal Jump Regiment: Colonel Keith Monroe
- The unit became known as the "Justice Brigade" after it adopted a regimental patch featuring a set of scales to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the Commonwealth Supreme Court on Donegal.
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 11, "Donegal Guards" - Regimental Status
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 169, "Donegal Guards bio"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 64, "3rd Donegal Guards Unit Profile"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 35, "Third Donegal Gaurds RCT (The Justice Brigade)"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 68 (print version), "Regimental Nicknames (sidebar, continued)"
- First Succession War, p.139, "Deployment Table"
- Second Succession War, p.99, "Deployment Table"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 62-64 (print version), "Elizabeth Steiner"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 44, "Operation Götterdämmerung"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 59, "Follow-up Invasions"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 61
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 64
- Historical: War of 3039, p 137, "Deployment Table (LCAF)"
- 20 Year Update, p. 24, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 17, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- "The Dragon Roars, pp. 10-11, "Unit Summaries - Operation Bulldog"
- "The Dragon Roars, pp. 12-13, "Unit Summaries - Clan Smoke Jaguar Defense"
- "The Dragon Roars, p. 15, "Wave One: The Katana Falls"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 48, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 182-183, "Civil War and DCMS Incusion Deployment Table"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 68, "Wave One, Other Actions: Crimond"
- FedCom Civil War, p. 89, "Wave Two, Lyran Alliance, Strategic Movements"
- Total Chaos, p. 19, "Enter Stage Right, Gannon's Cannons"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "Deployment Table"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 11 "Donegal Guards"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 118 (pdf version), "Unit Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137
- 20 Year Update, p. 24
- Objective Raids, p. 17
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 70
- First Succession War
- Second Succession War
- Era Report: 3062
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Historical: War of 3039
- Objective Raids
- The Dragon Roars
- Second Succession War
- Shattered Sphere
- Total Chaos
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2