Gargoyle (Man O' War)
|Manufacturer||Wolf Clan Site OZ-1
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Clan Series Assault SXC (Standard)|
|Armor||Forging C629/j ferro-fibrous|
|Engine||400 Model SF-3 XL|
|Communications System||Raldon R1|
|Targeting Tracking System||Version Kappa-III TTS|
|Heat Sinks||16 Double heat sinks|
The Gargoyle is an extremely fast assault OmniMech developed with the Timber Wolf as replacements for the first-generation Woodsman OmniMech. The Gargoyle is therefore commonly seen among Clan Wolf, and was a featured assault OmniMech during the Clan Invasion. The Gargoyle earned the code name Man O' War from the Inner Sphere forces because of its effectiveness. Along with the Timber Wolf and Naga, the Gargoyle debuted in 2945. This dependable design eventually spread throughout the Clans, and by the time of the ilClan era was being produced by Clan Hell's Horses.
Weapons and Equipment
The Gargoyle is capable of reaching ground speeds of up to 86.4 km/h thanks to its massive 400 Model SF-3 XL engine, accounting for over twenty percent of the 'Mech's mass. Built on a standard structure, the Gargoyle has sixteen double heat sinks in its base chassis, which can dissipate heat from most of the Gargoyle's configurations quite effectively. The Gargoyle carries eleven tons of ferro-fibrous armor which is light for its size, but provides protection equal to that of most heavy 'Mechs. Even the Gargoyles relatively light twenty-one and half tons of available pod space emphasizes speed; all Gargoyle configurations mount weaponry almost exclusively in the arms, reducing the amount of time required to alter the weapon systems; however, with most of the weaponry placed in the arms, the Gargoyle is at the risk of being disarmed by a couple of well-placed shots.
The Primary Gargoyle configuration is capable of engaging enemies at a variety of ranges. For long range encounters, the Gargoyle has two LB 5-X Autocannon that are capable of firing both solid rounds and cluster ammunition, making the 'Mech effective against aircraft and vehicles. For short ranges, the 'Mech has two SRM-6 launchers and a single ER Small Laser which provide adequate close in protection.
- Alternate Configuration A
- Also an effective all around 'Mech, the A configuration ups the firepower with two ER PPCs as its primary long-range weapons. These are supported by a Large Pulse Laser for intermediate range engagements and a Medium Pulse Laser, ER Medium Laser, and ER Small Laser for close combat. BV (1.0) = 2,166; BV (2.0) = 2,689
- Alternate Configuration B
- Configured almost exclusively for long range combat, the B configuration of the Gargoyle carries a powerful Gauss rifle backed up by an LRM-10 launcher linked to an Artemis IV FCS, allowing it to keep its distance from enemy units. For defense at short ranges, the 'Mech has an SRM-4 launcher which is also enhanced with an Artemis IV FCS. The main drawback to this configuration is its overreliance on ammunition-based weaponry, making it effective only so long as it has sufficient ammunition for its weapons. BV (1.0) = 1,631; BV (2.0) = 1,843
- Alternate Configuration C
- A dedicated close combat configuration, the Gargoyle C carries as its primary weapon a powerful Ultra Autocannon/20 that has twice the rate of fire as a standard Autocannon. This is supported by a brace of six ER Medium Lasers that make the 'Mech a highly effective brawler. To protect itself from infantry knee-capping attacks in an urban environment, the 'Mech has three Anti-Personnel Pods. BV (1.0) = 1,969; BV (2.0) = 2,417, 2,437
- Alternate Configuration D
- The D configuration of the Gargoyle is armed with two ER Large Lasers for long range combat. These are backed up for short range engagements with three highly accurate Medium Pulse Lasers and an ER Small Laser. The 'Mech is frighteningly accurate due to its advanced Targeting Computer, which increases the accuracy of all the weapons in this configuration. BV (1.0) = 2,248; BV (2.0) = 2,499
- Alternate Configuration E
- This variant makes use of Clan technology developed in the 3060s. An ATM 12 in the right arm has enough ammunition bins to make use of all of the types available to an Advanced Tactical Missile Launcher. Four Heavy Medium Lasers provide a powerful punch as short range, while a Streak SRM-6 can exploit those holes. A pair of ER Micro Lasers round out the offensive armament. A Targeting Computer makes the lasers more accurate. BV (2.0) = 2,257
- Alternate Configuration F
- The Gargoyle F is capable of engaging the enemy from afar and utilizing its speed to decrease the range while increasing its damage output. Carrying an Improved Heavy Large Laser and twin ATM-3s in the right arm, the F is hindered somewhat by only carrying two tons of missile ammo. This forces the pilot to choose between ammo types before a mission. A newly developed Clan Rotary AC/2 and its two tons of ammo are fitted into the left arm. A Heavy Flamer and one ton of fuel reside in the center torso. BV (2.0) = 1,894
- Alternate Configuration G
- This close-range configuration mounts a powerful LB 20-X Autocannon that is capable of punching holes in an enemy's armor with its slug rounds, then exploiting the exposed components with its cluster munitions. Four ER Medium Lasers provide additional firepower, while a trio of Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifles deter unarmored infantry. BV (2.0) = 2,156
- Alternate Configuration H
- Configured to take advantage of new Heavy Laser technology, the H configuration is a capable 'Mech at any range. For long range jousting with an enemy, the 'Mech has an LRM-10 launcher. This is backed up by an Ultra Autocannon/10 and a new Heavy Large Laser for intermediate ranges. Finally, for added punch at close range, the 'Mech has two ER Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,821; BV (2.0) = 2,183
- Alternate Configuration I
- An energy-only variant, the I configuration suffers from drastic overheating issues if its weaponry isn’t used carefully. Three ER Large Lasers are mounted in the right forearm. A pair of Improved Heavy Large Lasers are mounted in the left arm. These two lasers are housed inside a CASE II protected bay, shielding the 'Mech from the worst effects of a ruptured laser capacitor. Mounting only one additional double heat sink in the center torso, pilots of the I configuration must choose to fire one bank of lasers or the other to avoid overheating the 'Mech. BV (2.0) = 2,516
- Alternate Configuration J
- Designed as a close combat skirmisher the Gargoyle J also has impressive maneuverability. Seven torso mounted Improved Jump Jets give the 'Mech a 210 meter jump range. This, along with its 86 km/h top speed, allows the 'Mech to easily bring its close range laser batteries into range. The heavy firepower of four Improved Heavy Medium Lasers fires from the right arm, while a brace of seven ER Small Lasers fires from the left. These weapons allow the J to eviscerate a foe’s armor up close, but leaves the J helpless at longer ranges and forces it to rely on its maneuverability to avoid enemy fire as it closes. BV (2.0) = 2,134
- Alternate Configuration K
- Following on the heels of the Jade Falcon’s adoption of physical attacks, the Gargoyle K represents a paradigm shift in tactics of other Clans. Mounting a six ton Hatchet in its right arm the Gargoyle K is the first Clan 'Mech so equipped. Adding to the danger of the hatchet is a Supercharger that allows the K to run at over 100 km/h, a staggering speed for an assault 'Mech. Focused solely on short range destruction, the K’s other weapons are for use up close. Each of the 'Mech’s torsos comes equipped with a Streak SRM-4 launcher. All three launchers are fed by a single ton of ammo in the CASE II protected left torso. Four Improved Heavy Medium Lasers reside in the left arm. To ensure no targets can hide from the K an Active Probe is housed in the right torso. BV (2.0) = 2,182
- Alternate Configuration P
- The Gargoyle P is capable of fighting infantry and armor as well as playing havoc with enemy 'Mechs. Two left arm mounted Plasma Cannons can incinerate enemy infantry with ease and can easily overheat enemy 'Mechs. Two Large Pulse Lasers give the P a strong bite against enemies, but can be lacking compared to other 'Mechs its size. However, if an enemy 'Mech is forced into shutdown the pulse lasers can be used to tear it apart. A center torso Micro Pulse Laser rounds out the weapons complement. Three tons of plasma ammo is stored alongside the cannons in the left arm. BV (2.0) = 2,320
- Alternate Configuration T
- The T configuration is a reinterpretation of the Prime. The LB 5-X and SRM-6 carried in each arm of the Prime are replaced with both a ProtoMech AC/8 and a Streak SRM-6. While the AC/8s have a shorter range than the LB-X autocannons they manage to do approximately 50% more damage. Additionally, while no longer able to utilize cluster munitions the ProtoMech autocannons are capable of utilizing other specialty ammo like precision and AP. Upgrading to Streak launchers increases the range and damage profile over the Prime’s standard launchers and it also allows the T to better utilize its limited ammo reserves by not wasting ammo on missed shots. Each side torso contains one ton of both autocannon and Streak ammo. Like the Prime, the T only has one ER Small Laser to fall back on once its ammo bins are empty. Looking so much like the Prime often confuses enemies who are surprised by the T’s enhanced damage capabilities. BV (2.0) = 1,635
- Alternate Configuration X
- The Gargoyle X was introduced in the Dark Age. It carries an ATM-9 and TSEMP Cannon from the Inner Sphere in the left arm. The right arm carries six ER Medium Lasers while a Small Pulse Laser is in the center torso. Three tons of ammunition is provided for the ATM system. BV (2.0) = 2,800
- Gargoyle Conal
- Star Colonel Conal Ward used a custom configuration when he was commanding the 31st Wolf Solahma. Mounting a pair of ER PPCs in the right arm and a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers in the left torso, the Gargoyle Conal could fight comfortably at long and short range. Each leg mounted a single A-Pod, and the center torso held an ECM Suite and a Light TAG unit for artillery spotting. BV (2.0) = 2,580
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- GAR-KW "Kin Wolf"
- A customized variant of the Gargoyle allegedly piloted by Ulric Kerensky, the Kin Wolf uses an LB 2-X Autocannon in its left and right arms. In the left torso, a pair of Streak SRM-4s . A Streak SRM-6s and an AMS with one ton of AMS ammo is carried in the right torso. Both torsos carry a ton of LB-X and Streak ammo.
- Woodsman - The Gargoyle was designed as a replacement for the First-Generation Woodsman heavy OmniMech.
- Timber Wolf - A second successor to the Woodsman heavy OmniMech, the Timber Wolf was designed with the Gargoyle.
- Naga - A third successor to the Woodsman, the Naga still bears an uncanny resemblance to the predecessor. The engineers of the Naga extended the torsos of the Woodsman laterally in order to fit a pair of Arrow IV artillery systems. Although reviled by most warriors, the Naga's capabilities as a fire-support platform have kept it active in the Clan Wolf Touman for over a century.
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was left unchanged. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was changed to Galeere, which means Galley. This was supposedly done because of the jellyfish Portuguese man o' war, which is called Portugiesische Galeere in German.
- Plastic Gargoyle (Man O' War) Prime is included in BattleTech: Clan Heavy Striker Star
Original Gargoyle from TRO:3050
Gargoyle Prime from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Gargoyle from RG:ilClan v11
Gargoyle Prime in motion from CCG
- IlClan, p. 114
- The Wars of Reaving, p. 132: "Punishing Priori"
- MUL online entry for Gargoyle (Man O' War)
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 138–139: "Man O' War OmniMech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 121
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 36–37: "Man O' War OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 34–35: "Man O' War OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 140
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 92
- MUL online entry for Gargoyle (Man O' War)
- IlClan, p. 114
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 122
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 123
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 124
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 135
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 125
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 126
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 11, p. 13
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 127
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 205
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 128
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 129
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 164
- Operational Turning Points: The Red Corsair, p. 30
- MechWarrior Online - "Clan Heroes Sale II Page"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 93: BattleMech Quirk Table - Man O' War Entry
- Combat Operations
- ilClan (sourcebook)
- Operational Turning Points: The Red Corsair
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3055
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- The Wars of Reaving