- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- A Special New Year's Community Outreach - Nic from Sarna!
- Did You Know? - Scout ‘Mechs
- Read more →
Bowie Industries, Ceres Metal Industries,
Gibson Federated BattleMechs,
Ibuki Robotics & Manufacturing,
Majesty Metals and Manufacturing,
Taurus Territorial Industries
|Communications System||Dalban Micronics|
The Marauder BattleMech is arguably the most iconic early BattleMech image featured in BattleTech and, previously, BattleDroids. Marauder miniatures have been resculpted several times, more recently due to legal disputes. The original Marauder artwork and figures are unseen, bearing striking resemblance to Zentradi Officer's Battle Pods (Roiquonmi Glaug Battle Pod) from Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Despite this, reseen Marauder images have replaced previous artwork, and aspects of the design have influenced artwork and construction for several other BattleMechs.
The Marauder was first built in the 2600s as an attack and direct fire support 'Mech. The Marauder is one of the most well-known 'Mechs in existence and was built to usher in a new generation of BattleMechs. Unfortunately, with the fall of the Star League, the new generation of 'Mechs the Marauder was to herald never quite materialized. On its own merits the Marauder is a devastatingly powerful 'Mech. The Marauder has powerful offensive capabilities and a top speed of 64.8 km/h.
The design does have a couple of drawbacks; the armor protection of only eleven and a half tons is lower than most 'Mechs in the heavy weight class, particularly in the legs. The 'Mech can also run hot if the pilot overtaxes the heat sinks.
The Marauder's weapons and damage profile depends on the long-range capabilities of its two Magna Hellstar PPCs and the GM Whirlwind Autocannon/5. These three weapons all have similar range profiles that allow the Marauder use all three of them to their maximum effect at long ranges. At close ranges, the Marauder relies on its two Magna Mk II Medium Lasers which provide adequate defense against other 'Mechs.
- MAD-1R - The version of the Marauder used by the Royal brigades of the SLDF utilized CASE to protect the autocannon ammunition and eleven tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. BV (2.0) = 1,420
- MAD-2R - This upgrade of the 1R eventually replaced it. The PPCs were upgraded to ER PPCs, resulting in the upgrade to double heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,630
- MAD-3D - The 3D Marauder is a modification of the 'Mech that removes its ammunition dependency. In order to do this, the 3D removes the Autocannon/5 and replaces it with a Large Laser. The saved weight is used to add four heat sinks to the 'Mech to handle the added heat burden from the Large Laser. BV (1.0) = 1,136, BV (2.0) = 1,470
- MAD-3L - An attempt to make the Marauder more heat efficient, the 3L model replaces one of the arm mounted PPCs with a Large Laser. Additionally, two more heat sinks have been added to further increase the Marauder's heat efficiency. BV (1.0) = 1,098, BV (2.0) = 1,369
- MAD-3M - Because of the abundance of Large Lasers in the Free Worlds League, the 3M model carries Large Lasers in place of the PPCs. The Large Lasers are both cooler running and cause slightly less damage than the PPCs that they replace. Finally, the 3M adds four heat sinks, making the 'Mech much more manageable for pilots who have trouble managing the heat on their 'Mechs. BV (1.0) = 1,105, BV (2.0) = 1,335
- MAD-3R (C) - A Clan-tech retrofit of the classic MAD-3R Marauder, the Marauder C replaces some of the Inner Spheroid weaponry with Clan equivalents. The Marauder C swaps the PPCs for a pair of Clan-tech Large Pulse Lasers and the standard autocannon for Ultra AC/5 model, but retains the Inner Sphere Medium Lasers. The munitions for the autocannon are now also protected with CASE. BV (2.0) = 1,616
- MAD-5D - The 5D Marauder is an upgrade of the 3D model. The 'Mech's engine has been upgraded to an XL Engine to save weight, and the entire weapons payload has been stripped out and upgraded. The 5Ds primary weapons are two ER PPCs, which increase the PPCs range. The Large Laser has been replaced with a Large Pulse Laser, and the Medium Lasers have been replaced with two Medium Pulse Lasers. A Streak SRM-2 launcher has also been added to the 'Mech for more close range protection. It is protected by fourteen tons of armor. The 5D has a jumping capability of up to 120 meters. BV (1.0) = 1,504, BV (2.0) = 1,787
- MAD-5L - The 5L variant of the 'Mech removes the entire weapons payload of the 'Mech and upgrades its weapons, armor, and heat sinks. The 'Mech is armored with fourteen tons of Stealth Armor with a Guardian ECM Suite. The 'Mech carries two ER Large Lasers. These are backed up by a pair of ER Medium Lasers. Finally, in place of the autocannon, the 5L carries an ER PPC. The heat from the 5L's all-energy arsenal is handled by eighteen double heat sinks. Additionally, the 5L is built using Triple Strength Myomer, allowing the 'Mech to run at speeds of up to 86 km/h when it is operating in its optimum heat range. BV (1.0) = 1,614, BV (2.0) = 2,286
- MAD-5M - The 5M variant of the Marauder replaces the fusion engine with an XL Engine and completely re-arms the 'Mech with recovered Star League-era weapons. The primary weapons are two Large Pulse Lasers, which are backed up by two Medium Pulse Lasers. Finally, in place of the Autocannon/5, the 5M carries an LB-X Autocannon/10. The 5M has a jumping distance of up to one hundred and twenty meters. BV (1.0) = 1,391, BV (2.0) = 1,471
- MAD-5R - The Marauder 5R is an upgrade of the 3R model. The 'Mech has an XL Engine to save weight and has had its heat sinks upgraded to double heat sinks. The PPCs are replaced with two ER PPCs and the Autocannon/5 has been upgraded to a Rotary Autocannon/5. The two Medium Lasers have been retained on the design. Also, for added protection, the 5R has fourteen tons of armor and a Guardian ECM Suite. The 'Mech also carries a C3 Slave unit that allows the 'Mech to transmit targeting data to its lance mates. BV (1.0) = 1,548 (C3: 279), BV (2.0) = 1,877
- MAD-5S - The 5S variant of the Marauder dates to the Clan Invasion. It is built around an XL Engine and upgrades the heat sinks to double heat sinks. The saved weight has been used to upgrade the two PPCs to two ER PPCs. The Medium Lasers have been upgraded to Medium Pulse Lasers and the Autocannon/5 has been replaced with a Gauss Rifle. BV (1.0) = 1,466, BV (2.0) = 1,799
- MAD-5T - The 5T variant of the Marauder uses elements of both the 5M and the 5R models. The 5T is built around an Endo Steel chassis and an XL Engine. The 'Mech carries, as its primary weapons, two Large Pulse Lasers backed up by two Medium Pulse Lasers and a Rotary Autocannon/5 in the torso mount. The weapons are all linked to an advanced Targeting Computer, making the 5T incredibly accurate. Finally, the 5T is protected by fourteen tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 1,390, BV (2.0) = 1,750
- MAD-6L - An upgrade of the 5L, the 6L replaces the lasers with a pair of Ceres Arms Crusher Plasma Rifles. The cannon in downgraded to a standard Hellstar PPC. The Stealth Armor and attendant Guardian ECM Suite and Triple Strength Myomers are retained, though three less double heat sinks are used. BV (2.0) = 2,322
- MAD-7D - Another Davion upgrade of the Marauder, the 7D is built with an XL engine to save weight. The 'Mech is armed with two ER Large Lasers and two ER Medium Lasers, as well as a Rotary Autocannon/5. These are all linked to a Targeting Computer, making the 7D extremely accurate. The 'Mech also carries an ECM Suite for protection against electronic warfare equipment and is armored with fourteen tons of armor. BV (1.0) = 1,582, BV (2.0) = 1,986
- MAD-9M - A departure from the standard Marauder design philosophy, the 9M is built using an XL engine and twelve and a half tons of Valiant Chainmail Ferro-Fibrous armor. The 'Mech carries, as its primary weapons, four ER Large Lasers for long-range combat. In the event that the 'Mech closes, it has two Guided Technologies 2nd Generation Streak SRM-6 launchers. The 9M also carries TAG to designate targets for Arrow IV artillery strikes and an ECM Suite for protection against electronic warfare systems. BV (1.0) = 1,383, BV (2.0) = 1,704
- MAD-9M2 - This upgrade of the 9M replaces the lasers with a pair of Magna Supernova Heavy PPCs. BV (2.0) = 1,875
- MAD-9S - The 9S Marauder is built with a Light Fusion Engine and an Endo Steel chassis to save weight. The 9S also uses double heat sinks to handle its heat intensive weapons payload. The 9S carries two ER PPCs as its primary weapons as well as an LB-X Autocannon/10 for long-range combat. For close ranges, the 9S is equipped with two ER Medium Lasers and a Flamer. The 9S is also equipped with exceptional electronic systems including an ECM Suite and a Beagle Active Probe. BV (1.0) = 1,403, BV (2.0) = 1,786
- MAD-9W - This Blakist design carries an ER Large Laser and Medium Pulse Laser in each arm, backed up by a Snub-Nose PPC in the torso. Five Improved Jump Jets allow it to cover 150 meters at a time, while the Improved C3 Computer lets it share targeting data with friendly units. To make room for this it uses a Light Fusion Engine, while a Heavy Duty Gyro provides significant protection against battlefield damage. BV (2.0) = 1,788
- MAD-9W2 - Based on captured Word of Blake plans formerly owned by Vicore Industries, the MAD-9W2 carries twin ER Large Lasers and Medium Pulse Lasers, supported by a single Snub-Nose PPC. To offset a lower top speed, this Marauder mounts five Improved Jump Jets. A Heavy Duty Gyro enhances battlefield longevity, while a Guardian ECM Suite and C3 Slave maximize its electronics performance. A Light Fusion Engine provides weight savings to allow all these upgrades. BV (2.0) = 1,868
- Dual Cockpit refits: The Marauder is one of the Free Worlds League's preferred 'Mechs to install Dual Cockpits. Standard refits usually install the Dual Cockpit on a MAD-3M or MAD-5D, removing one heat sink.
- MAD-SD Marauder Douglas - The personal ‘Mech of 12th Vegan Rangers Alpha Regiment commander Margrave Sheridan Douglass during the DCMS's Third Succession War invasion of Galtor III, only the arm mounted medium lasers remain, with each PPC replaced by a Large Laser and the autocannon swapped for a pair of SRM-4 launchers with a shared ton of reloads. The remaining weight and space is devoted to five additional heat sinks and three extra tons of armor. BV (2.0) = 1,459
- Bounty Hunter model (3015) - This unusual variant features lostech, the standard 300 Vlar fusion engine has been downgrade to 225 version giving it a top speed of 54 kph. It mounts a standard PPC and a Medium Laser in each arm. Another PPC and Medium Laser are mounted on the right torso, with additional Medium Lasers mounted on the center and left torso. 16 Double Heat Sinks are use to cool this beast down allowing it to firing all 3 PPCs without even generating excess heat. It features 14.5 tons of standard armor giving it maximum armor for it's weight and capable of jumping over 90 meters. It's painted all green with credit symbols. BV (1.0) = 1,686 BV (2.0) = 1,919
- Bounty Hunter model (3044) - The Bounty Hunter upgraded his Marauder sometime in 3044, the fusion engine was upgrade to an extra-light version while keeping it at the same rating to save weight but with it's increase size 3 Double Heat Sinks were removed. The standard PPCs were upgrade to ERPPC, both the left and right torso mounted Medium Lasers were removed while the center torso Medium Laser was moved to the head to make room for a Gauss Rifle on the right torso and 2 tons of ammunition. This upgrade allow the Bounty Hunter to engage it's enemies at a far greater range while still able to continuously operate without fear of overheating. BV (1.0) = 1,788 BV (2.0) = 2,103
- Bandersnatch - Designed by Felifious Bander, the Bandersnatch was designed with a similar profile and weapons layout to the Marauder, and maintains common components to ease repair and allow an excess of spare parts. The Bandersnatch mounts an LB 10-X AC and a pair of Medium Lasers in each arm. The 'Mech also mounts a trio of LRM 5s and a pair of Medium Lasers in the torso.
- Rakshasa - Based upon the Timber Wolf Clan OmniMech, the basic Rakshasa is a modified Marauder with a paired ER Large Laser and Medium Laser in each arm, and Artemis IV FCS-slaved LRM 10s in the side torsos. The Rakshasa also possesses a single Medium Pulse Laser.
- Dragon Fire - The Dragon Fire is among a series of Star League-era Marauder-series BattleMechs. However, the Dragon Fire never reached full-scale production due to the Amaris Civil War. The Dragon Fire replaces the energy-weapon heavy Marauder armament with an LB 10-X AC, a Gauss Rifle, and an assortment of torso-mounted lasers.
- Maelstrom - The Maelstrom is among a series of Star League-era Marauder-series BattleMechs. The Amaris Civil War curtailed the production of the Maelstrom, making the BattleMech rare until plans were rediscovered with the Gray Death Memory Core. The Maelstrom maintains a heavy array of energy weapons, highlighted by an ER PPC and an ER Large Laser. The Maelstrom also mounts TAG.
- Nightstar - The Nightstar is among a series of Star League-era Marauder-series BattleMechs. Production for the Nightstar ceased right after the start of the First Succession War. The basic Nightstar features arm-mounted Gauss Rifles and Medium Pulse Lasers, along with an ER PPC and a Small Laser.
- Marauder IIC - One of the 'Mechs the SLDF took with them when they left the Inner Sphere was the venerable Marauder. Their descendants the Clans redesigned it into an 85-ton variant that mounts three ER PPCs, a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers and four ER Small Lasers.
- Marauder II - Built by a collaboration between GM and Blackwell Heavy Industries exclusively for the Wolf's Dragoons mercenary unit, the Marauder II mates the abilities of the fearsome Marauder to a massively strengthened jump capable 100 ton assault 'Mech chassis.
Bounty Hunter & his Marauder
- Grayson Carlyle piloted a Marauder he acquired in battle, handing his Shadow Hawk off to his wife, Lori Kalmar. Grayson would upgrade to a Victor later in his career.
- First Prince Joseph Davion of the Federated Suns piloted a Marauder up until his death during the War of Davion Succession.
- The Bounty Hunter piloted his Marauder during his endeavours during the Succession Wars and well into the Clan Invasion, where he lost it but gained a Timber Wolf in it's place.
- Natasha Kerensky piloted a Marauder during her early Wolf's Dragoons career, prior to losing it to the Bounty Hunter.
- Handbook House Davion p.187
- MUL online date for Marauder
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 298
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 205
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 178
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 179
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 202
- Combat Operations, p. 127
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 125
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 203
- Combat Operations, p. 122
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 204
- Combat Operations, p. 130
- The Battle for Twycross, p. 48
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 191
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 206
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 176
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 207
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix, p. 37
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 177
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 208
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 178
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 209
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 179
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 210
- Combat Operations, p. 132
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 180
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 211
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 181
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 212
- "New Death from IrTech"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 261
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 182
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 213
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 183
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 214
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 184
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 215
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 260
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 185
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades, p. 216
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 186
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 187
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 261
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 21
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 189
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 190
- Technical Readout: 3055, pp. 66-67
- Technical Readout: 3055, pp. 72-73
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 128-129
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 130-132
- Technical Readout: 3058, pp. 144-145
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 18, "A Plague On Both Your Houses: The War of Davion Succession (Second Hidden War)"
- Interstellar Players, pp. 135
- Combat Operations
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor
- Interstellar Players
- New Death from IrTech
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3055
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3075
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix
- Total Warfare Style Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades