Dire Wolf (Daishi)
- This article is about the OmniMech. For the WarShip, see Dire Wolf (Individual Sovetskii Soyuz-class WarShip).
|Manufacturer||Svarstaad Industriplex Delta
|'Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Armor||Compound 12B2 Standard|
|Engine||Starfire 300 XL|
|Communications System||TJ6 "Bell" Integrated Communication System|
|Targeting Tracking System||Mars System 9|
|Heat Sinks||15 double|
The Dire Wolf is one of the OmniMechs that became feared throughout the Inner Sphere during the initial Clan Invasion, and rightly so. The Dire Wolf weighs in at an impressive one hundred tons and has a relatively slow cruising speed of 32.4 km/h provided by a 300 XL engine. Its speed and armor protection matches that of an Atlas, but it has superior potential firepower with fifty and a half tons of free pod space for weapons and equipment. It is these traits which saw the 'Mech code-named Daishi (pseudo-Japanese for "Great Death") by the criminal underbelly of the Draconis Combine, a name that would be proven grimly accurate time and time again.
The Dire Wolf was the brainchild of the Clan Wolf scientist caste, but was actually first produced by Clan Smoke Jaguar. Hearing rumors that Clan Wolf was developing the "Ultimate Assault OmniMech", the Jaguars won the plans and production rights in a Trial that, rumor has it, was fought dishonorably. Production commenced on Huntress in 3010. In 3019, Clan Wolf began production of the OmniMech on Strana Mechty as well; Star Colonel Ulric won a Trial of Possession to expand manufacture into Clan Wolf. Beyond the limited manufacture of the Dire Wolf on Outreach, all Dire Wolfs outside of Clans Smoke Jaguar and Wolf (or Wolf's Dragoons) are either gifts, isorla, or were acquired through trade.
Weapons and Equipment
In its primary configuration, the Dire Wolf carries an extensive long range payload that is backed up by good close combat weapons. Its primary weapons are four ER Large Lasers which give the Dire Wolf an impressive long range punch. These are backed up by two Ultra Autocannon/5s for even more direct fire capability and an LRM-10 launcher to give the Dire Wolf some indirect fire capability. For close combat, the Dire Wolf has a simple yet effective array of four Medium Pulse Lasers. A hefty 22 Double Heat Sinks provide heat mitigation for its impressive arsenal, though it still falls on the pilot to regulate weapons use to avoid overheating. 
- Alternate Configuration A
- The A configuration of the Dire Wolf is configured to engage its enemies at a variety of ranges. The primary long range weapon carried in this configuration is a Gauss rifle. This is backed up by three impressive Large Pulse Lasers which are effective at any range. For close combat, the A configuration carried two streak SRM-6 launchers and, for additional defense against incoming missiles, an anti-missile system; six extra heat sinks are mounted BV (1.0) = 2,689; BV (2.0) = 2,896 of 2,855
- Alternate Configuration B
- The B configuration is armed for long-range engagements with four Ultra Autocannon/2s which have a reach of 810 meters and are backed up by a pair of ER PPCs for even greater punch. An LB 10-X Autocannon provides excellent medium to long range firepower and allows the Dire Wolf B to act in a variety of roles including vehicle hunting and anti-aircraft. For close combat, the B configuration has two Medium Pulse Lasers and an ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 2,127; BV (2.0) = 2,609
- Alternate Configuration C
- The C configuration is configured to be highly mobile and flexible. The Dire Wolf C can jump up to ninety meters. The primary weapons carried are a pair of ER PPCs. These are supported by two new ATM 6 launchers which are capable of firing missiles that are intended for short, intermediate, and long ranges. The C configuration also carries four Medium Pulse Lasers and a One-Shot Streak SRM-4 launcher. The direct fire weapons are all linked to a Targeting Computer, increasing their lethality, and the C configuration is protected from enemy electronic warfare equipment with an ECM Suite; eight extra heat sinks handle some of the load. BV (1.0) = 3,290; BV (2.0) = 3,610
- Alternate Configuration D
- This variant mounts two of the largest weapon in the Clan arsenal, the HAG 40. Ten tons of ammunition ensure that the 'Mech will not quickly run out. The uncharacteristically light backup weapons include a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, a Streak SRM-6, and a single ER Small Laser. BV (2.0) = 3,403
- Alternate Configuration E
- Introduced during the Dark Age this configuration carries an LB 10-X autocannon in each arm. Each autocannon is supported by a quartet of Medium Pulse Lasers. Long range fire support is provided by a Streak LRM-10 launcher, and a Watchdog Combined Electronic Warfare System jams enemy sensors and finds hidden foes. Autocannon and LRM ammunition is stored in the side torsos, which are protected by CASE II. BV (2.0) = 2,814
- Alternate Configuration H
- A simple direct-fire configuration of the Dire Wolf, the H configuration carries a pair of Gauss rifles as its primary long range weaponry. These are backed up by two Heavy Large Lasers for medium to short ranges. Finally, for short range combat, the H configuration has a Medium Pulse Laser and a Flamer, with five extra heat sinks. All of this configuration's weapons are linked to a Targeting Computer, increasing their accuracy. BV (1.0) = 2,517; BV (2.0) = 2,992
- Alternate Configuration S
- The S configuration is intended for the close confines of urban and jungle warfare. The S configurations primary weapon is a massive LB 20-X Autocannon which is capable of disabling most light and medium 'Mechs in a single blast. This is backed up by a single Large Pulse Laser to provide some long-range firepower should the Dire Wolf S be caught in the open. Additional short-range firepower is provided by five Medium Pulse Lasers and two Streak SRM-4 launchers. Two Anti-Personnel Pods and two Machine Guns provide exceptional anti-infantry capabilities. The S configuration has added mobility with three jump jets allowing it to jump up to ninety meters. Five extra heat sinks lessen the need for caution. BV (1.0) = 2,875; BV (2.0) = 2,985
- Alternate Configuration T
- This Clan Hell's Horses configuration was introduced in 3149. Each arm carries a HAG 20, two ER Medium Lasers, and two Medium Pulse Lasers. For long range support a Streak LRM-10 is carried in the left torso. To increase speed, an engine Supercharger is fitted as well. A Light Active Probe detects hidden foes. Five extra double heat sinks are carried as well. BV (2.0) = 3,317
- Alternate Configuration U
- The U configuration is configured for underwater combat. It makes use of the experimental BattleMech HarJel System, MASS, and a trio of UMUs allow it to travel underwater as quickly as it walks on land. The weapons load has been optimized for subsurface combat as well: A trio of SRT-6 launchers appears in each side torso while each arm mounts an ER PPC and pair of Medium Pulse Lasers. The beam weapons are tied into a Targeting Computer. BV (2.0) = 3,360
- Alternate Configuration W
- This Wolf's Dragoons variant is effective at both long and short range. For long range, it uses a Gauss Rifle, an ER Large Laser, and an LRM-20. At close range, an Ultra Autocannon/20, ER Small Laser, and a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers provide devastating firepower. Twenty double heat sinks allow the design to almost continually fire all of its weapons. BV (2.0) = 2,951
- Alternate Configuration X
- This variant carries a Targeting Computer to guide the fire of a Large Pulse Laser, Heavy Medium Laser, twin ER Micro Lasers, an Ultra AC/10 and the solid shot of an LB 5-X autocannon. To provide missile support, the Daishi X carries an ATM 6 with a ton of each ammunition type, a head-mounted Streak SRM-2, and an SRM-4 and LRM-15. The SRM-4 and LRM-15 are each equipped with an Artemis IV FCS. BV (2.0) = 2,645
Note: due to their inclusion in Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League) the Hohiro, Prometheus, and Widowmaker are considered tournament-legal.
- The Hohiro configuration of the Dire Wolf is used by Hohiro Kurita and has a mixed long and short range weapons profile. For long range hitting power, an ER PPC and a Gauss rifle provide overwhelming punch. To engage enemies at long to medium ranges, three Large Pulse Lasers are carried. One ER Small Laser and one Streak SRM-6 round out this configuration with some short range punch. BV (1.0) = 2,676; BV (2.0) = 3,048
- The preferred configuration of Archon-Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, the Prometheus configuration carries a blistering array of weapons that increases its damage potential as it closes range. The primary long range weapons are a pair of ER Large Lasers supported by three Large Pulse Lasers. For close combat, an Ultra Autocannon/20 and an SRM-6 launcher are carried. BV (1.0) = 2,319; BV (2.0) = 2,900
- The preferred configuration of the Black Widow Natasha Kerensky, the Widowmaker can do a great deal of damage at any range. For long range combat, an ER PPC backed up by a Large Pulse Laser mounted in each arm. For close combat, the Widowmaker carries two ER Medium Lasers, an ER Small Laser, and an Ultra Autocannon/20. This mix of weaponry served Natasha Kerensky well until her death at the hands of Jade Falcon Star Commander Joanna. The Widowmaker now rests on the floor of the Great Gash on Twycross, in silent memorial to its legendary pilot. BV (1.0) = 2,534; BV (2.0) = 3,041
- Widowmaker LRM
- The configuration of Dire Wolf piloted by Natasha Kerensky at her Trial of Position to test out as a MechWarrior. For long range combat, the ER PPCs are replaced by shoulder-mounted twin LRM-20 launchers with 24 racks, first half being Swarm LRMs and backed up by a Large Pulse Laser mounted in each arm. For close combat, the left torso carries three ER Medium Lasers in triangular configuration in the chest and the stubby LB-X Autocannon/20 with 10 cluster rounds underslung on the right torso. For when things gets dicey, a "fire and forget" SRM-6 one-shot launcher above cockpit, just aft of the hatch and only 20 double strength heat sinks. This configuration was just for her Trial of Position and not used again. BV (2.0) = 2,928
- Lone Wolf
- The variant piloted by Phelan Wolf at his Trial of Position to test out as a MechWarrior on 21 July 3051. Configured by Khan Natasha Kerensky (who was piloting the LRM variant of her Widowmaker in the same Trial). For long range, the Lone Wolf variant was armed with shoulder-mounted twin LRM-20 launchers with 24 racks, first half being Swarm LRMs, backed up by a Gauss rifle in left arm, with 16 slug coming from bins in the left torso. For close combat, the Lone Wolf carries three Medium Pulse Lasers in right arm, a stubby LB-X Autocannon/20 with 10 cluster rounds underslung on the right torso. For when things get dicey, a "fire and forget" SRM-6 one-shot launcher above cockpit, just aft of the hatch and only 15 double strength heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 2,867
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- With MechWarrior Online lacking the mechanics for One-Shot Missile Launchers, the MWO version of the Alternate Configuration C listed above removes a single heat sink to carry a half ton of Streak missiles and increase the ATM ammo by a ton.
- DWF-C (Store Version)
- The version of the DWF-C listed in the MWO-Store drops the SRM4-Streak launcher of the Warden Pack version and replaces them with a NARC launcher with 1 ton of ammunition. Interestingly it also drops the Targeting Computer and yet another heat sink, reducing the total amount of heat sinks to 21 and leaving 4.5 tons unused.
- DWF-UV "Ultraviolet"
- A customized variant of the Dire Wolf. Piloted by Jin Mehta, the Ultraviolet uses a quartet of Ultra Autocannon/2s, two in each arm, supported with two tons of ammo. Both side torsos utilize an ER PPC, supported by a Medium Pulse Laser. Finally, the center torso sports an LRM 10 with a ton of ammo.
The Dire Wolf has the following Design Quirks:
- Hauptmann - the Lyran Alliance based the design of its first OmniMech on captured Dire Wolf OmniMechs.
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was translated to Höhlenwolf. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was left unchanged.
Original Dire Wolf from TRO:3050
Dire Wolf Prime from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Dire Wolf from RG:ilClan v13
Daishi in combat from CityTech, Second Edition
Victor Steiner Davion's Daishi Prometheus from BT:Legends
Dire Wolf in colors of 10th Lyran Guards from Endgame
Dire Wolf Prime in motion from CCG
Dire Wolf Widowmaker of Natasha Kerensky from CCG
Dire Wolf Prometheus of Victor Steiner-Davion from CCG
Model of Dire Wolf from MW4: Mercenaries
MechWarrior Online Concept Art of the Dire Wolf
Dire Wolf miniature (with Inner Sphere codename Daishi) from CityTech, Second Edition
Dire Wolf miniature from BattleTech: Clan Command Star
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13, p. 12
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, pp. 82–83: "Daishi"
- ↑ The Wars of Reaving, p. 82: "The Wolf at the Door"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Combat Operations, p. 108
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 147
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 144–145: "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 42–43: "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 40–41: "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 110
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 148
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 149
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 157
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 150
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 151
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 194
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 238
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 152
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 241
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 153
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13, p. 12
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New, p. 150
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 154
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 155
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 239
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 156
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 240
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 157
- ↑ Operation Audacity, p. 193
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 158
- ↑ Blood Legacy, pp. 186
- ↑ Blood Legacy, pp. 185–197
- ↑ MechWarrior Online - "Warden Pack"
- ↑ MechWarrior Online - "In-game Store"
- ↑ MechWarrior Online - "Dire Wolf"
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 91: BattleMech Quirk Table - Dire Wolf Entry
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3060, p. 128
- Blood Legacy (novel)
- Combat Operations
- MechWarrior Online Warden Pack Sale Page
- Operation Audacity (novel)
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060
- The Wars of Reaving